SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanborn5_gw

I love Home Goods!!!

sanborn5
16 years ago

This has got to be my favorite store, I find lots of things. My bedroom set is a liz, and I got the top, skirt, pillow shams, sheet set also lots of towels, and bath accessories, along with lots of kitchen items. Every week I go in, there is all kinds of new things.

I saw a rug I would love to get for my dining room, I hope it will still be there when I get DH to finally go in with me.

We have built in bookcases on both sides of our fireplaces in the family room and living room, I have bought some of the most interesting things to put on the shelves, book ends, candle holders and picture frames to show off my beautiful granddaughter.

I had asked about canister sets on this forum and got lots of good ideas. End result, I am also going to put my flour and sugar in some sort of plastic container and keep them in a drawer. I found two beautiful light greenish, grayish color glass jars with kind of a brushed chrome, pewter color top to put my tea bags in the smaller one and cookies in the larger one. My paint is a greenish, grayish color, uba tuba, and light cherry cabinets. These will look great. I never know what I will find in this store. I never leave empty handed!!!!

Comments (43)

• anitamo
    16 years ago

They just built a new one near me, but I haven't gone yet. I keep hearing about this store, so I know I must go. Thanks for the review.

• meltnaz
    16 years ago

I love home goods too!!! I took a client there last week and helped her spend $200. We got some great stuff.

Another great store is Kirkland's Home...not sure how many locations they have or what states their in...I'm in AZ.
    The selection of wall pieces is awesome.

There is a new store here called Real Deals Home Decor that I love as well. I just looked them up on the web and it looks like there are franchises in AZ, GA, CO, ID, IL, NM, OR, SC, and UT. The prices on their merchandise are amazing! I think the selection varies according to location. Mine has a lot of Tuscan stuff, scrolly wall art, and some country/shabby chic accessories.

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Deals Home Decor

• Related Discussions

Good News*I;m home* From Jannie (long)

Q

Comments (50)
    Jannie, I am so happy for you! I have always admired the way you handled your illness with such grace and gentle humor. Bless the woman who so generously donated her organs so another might find health again. Bless the doctors and nurses who guided and cared for you throughout this journey. And finally - YABBADABBA DOOO and WHOOOO HOOO!
    ...See More

ugly beach house - pic is good for a laugh but I need help!

Q

Comments (3)
    I went to check the pic again but it's down now. Anyway, Is it siding you can paint? Sometimes you can get away with unifying different surfaces by painting them the same color, or similar colors (two shades of the same hue). Some things look a little weird when painted, but I'd rather have the right color paint than the wrong color original surface. At least blue isn't horrible with cream or white or yellow.
    ...See More

Home Goods & Tuesday Morning

Q

Comments (27)
    Home Goods is owned by TJ Maxx (Marshalls, etc) -- the bargains are sometimes not really bargains. Other posters have covered its good points. Tuesday AM is very, very hit or miss. They are, IMO, the single best source for very upscale bed sheets on a downscale budget -- usually have a good selection of 500+ thread count Italian linen sheets for under $100/set. Nice selection of xmas wrap & ornaments in season. Other than that, it's sort of an upscale Pic & Save or Big Lots -- occasional great deals from well known mfrs closing out stuff, lots of junk, very disorganized. I go there for new sheets.
    ...See More

Buying House 1 hour from city where I work - is that a good idea ?

Q

Comments (32)
    There are a lot of factors that can play into whether or not it is a good idea and those factors can change over time. Right now, the commute is only an hour. If the area grows/increases in population, that amount of time could increase a little or a lot. How one feels also depends on if that hour is spent actually driving or just sitting in traffic most of the time. My DH does commute. We have a home on acreage that we enjoy and it is in a good location between 2 cities that have government work (which is who his employer is). A house like ours closer to Santa Fe would be double the price (on a city lot), perhaps triple with acreage. I work at home so I am close to the kids needs for school and socializing. I think it is important to have one parent close to the kids. There are times when the commute does get to him but when he hand the opportunity to apply for a job with a pay raise and shorter commute, he chose not to. There are downsides. He cannot invite his co-workers over for dinner and if we are invited to something, it takes a considerable amount of time. We could sell and buy something closer, but that would be a major disruption to the kids and our life outside of work is here. When the kids move out, he will only be about 4 years away from retirement so our lives will have changed again. If you do buy a house that far out, like most house purchases, it is best to have enough equity in it that if you decide to sell, for whatever reason (in this case shortening your commute), you can afford to do so.
    ...See More
  • redbazel
    16 years ago

Ah yes......Home Goods. The bane of my husband's existence. He asked me one day if he should just drop his paycheck off there and have it over with.
    I try not to go in too often anymore, since most of my house is done, but it's hard. Right now the garden stuff is all gone, because they've devoted all those aisles to christmas. But come Spring, watch out! There will be birdhouses, copper planters, fountains, arches, pots and windchimes. I bought a new lamp in there last month, it's the one from the ad in the magazines and I got it for $79.00. I have two others I got there and bought my daughter's anniversary lamps there too.
    All my flatware and dishes came from HomeGoods, as well as our bedding and rugs. They have a baby aisle with a few cute things and some dog stuff too. Mirrors are a must. And if you catch it right, you can find some furniture, like my rattan bedside table.
    Their blog is kind of nifty too.

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: the Blog at Homegoods.com

• poshspace
    16 years ago

Count me in as a HomeGoods fan/fanatic...I bought a leather chair a week or so ago from HG--a mission looking oak--perfect for the space--HG's price $449.00--retailed for $900...same day bought a MacKenzie Childs knock-off lamp--it really is a little whimsical even for my taste but believe it or not my DH encouraged me to buy it (very unusual) and so buy it I did...did I mention I bit off on the 10% HomeGoods Visa with a $20 kickback...
    Susan

• les917
    16 years ago

One just opened in the mall here. I was there a week ago to check it out. The lighting is SOOOO horrible - bright, glaring overhead stuff that is hot and makes you feel like you are in a bar after closing for cleanup! LOL

The store has been open only a few weeks, and it is messy, the clothes are obviously several seasons old in many cases, and the prices on the home dec items don't seem all that good to me.

I was really disappointed. It is 5 minutes from my house, and I doubt I will go back.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Gee, that's surprising, Les. It seems to be pretty hot around here too. I've yet to go in though. Tuesday Morning is another one nearby that I need to check out. Hear they are a good source too. I used to window shop so much -- now I just wander around online!

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Great link redbazel! Thanks for sharing it. Very first thing I spotted was a "Martha Stewart Pumpkin" which is what we call the polka dot pumpkin I do every year for quite a few years now :) (I get picked on quite a bit by the munchkins & DBF, but I love it, so there!). Have to hit the hay, but I plan on returning to that site ASAP!

sanborn5, those containers sound amazing.

Wish we had one closer...the closest is in Clearwater, over an hour away. We just got an L'n'T & a Marshall's...maybe they'll come up this way too?

• cindyandmocha
    16 years ago

I ADORE Home Goods. Ours doesn't have any clothing, just houseware stuff and furniture. I've gotten several items there including some 500 threadcount linens, a lamp, and just added a cake stand to go with my "His Majesty" collection.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

You live near Clearwater, Acoreana? I was just in Fl in Sept but decided to head down the Atlantic coast this time with a stop in St. Augustine and Daytona before flying back out of Orlando. Usually I do St.Pete since I still have friends there.
    Les, the HomeGoods store down in Santa Clarita Ca hasn't been very pretty the two times I've been there. The one by me is fabulous.

Red

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in Maine and I have never seen clothing in this store last seasons or not. Are you sure you are not mixing up this store with something else?
    Tuesday Morning: big dissapointment to me. When it first opened it was ok, now all I see is junk with high price tages and talk about a messy store. I always give a store or restaurant a couple of chances. As in three strikes your out. Tuesday morning has its three strikes with me, TJ Maxx is another of my favorites, Marshalls has also been a big dissapointment lately. Of course everyones difference of opionion is what makes the world go round!!!

• yborgal
    16 years ago

I live in Tampa and a Home Goods store opened last week just down the road. I may drive down there today to check it out.

• Molly Brown
    16 years ago

Clothes? In Home Goods? I've been to several in several states and never saw clothes in them. Anyone else beside Les see clothes in Home Goods??
    Out store in Maine is fabulous!!

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

There are none in Iowa. :~(

• namabafo
    16 years ago

Around here many of the Home Goods are now open to TJ Maxx on the side so you can shop both and check out on either side. So there would be clothes and shoes and accessories.

I live 15 min from TJX headquarters (parent company of TJ Maxx, HG, Marshall's, Bob's, AJ Wright, and in Canada WInners and Homesense)

I've found fabulous rugs on clearance at HG (a 9x12 handknotted wool Sarouk for $300...)

I've always had better luck on clothes and shoes at Marshall's for some reason, but it is further away. They used to be one of the best places to get large shoes (sz 11) but there is not much over sz 10 these days...

• krisfl
    16 years ago

Hey Mona, I live in Land O Lakes and was at the HomeGoods in Lutz on Sunday when it opened. That was a mistake...I've never seen so many people in a store before...not even the day after Thanksgiving! I went back on Wednesday and it was much quieter. They had so much great stuff and great prices too. This may be my new favorite store! :)

• pahance
    16 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of Home Goods either, but I do like to browse now and then. I like the kitchen department but that's about it. Our Home Goods store used to be a Super Marshall's but they recently changed the name to Home Goods. They still carry clothing and shoes here, too.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Great link redbazel! Thanks for sharing it. Very first thing I spotted was a "Martha Stewart Pumpkin" which is what we call the polka dot pumpkin I do every year for quite a few years now :) (I get picked on quite a bit by the munchkins & DBF, but I love it, so there!). Have to hit the hay, but I plan on returning to that site ASAP!

sanborn5, those containers sound amazing.

Wish we had one closer...the closest is in Clearwater, over an hour away. We just got an L'n'T & a Marshall's...maybe they'll come up this way too?

• acoreana
    16 years ago

LOL! This was sitting on my screen this morning...and I hit refresh...which posted it again...sorry about the double posting!!!

I live north of Clearwater, but my Sis works in St. Pete :).

• andreaintx
    16 years ago

I must say that I do like Home Goods because they are the only store around me with a decent selection of Hanukkah decorations. Most of the stores around me only sell Christmas stuff (the synagogue we attend is 21 miles away) so I was pretty excited to find their small Hanukkah selection. They have a table I love but we don't have room for it. :(

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

I need Home Goods! ...we have a new one about 3 miles away
    that has too much good stuff!

Joann

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

How funny andreaintx - I just bought Hanukkah candles at Home goods last week!!! We host the family party each year and light several menorahs so need lots of candles!

Les I'm curious which one opened by you. I like the one in Palatine - on 12 just south of Dundee and the one in Schaumberg is good, too. No, they're not Fields or Smithe in terms of display and ambiance but I've neer been in one whre I couldn't find something that needed to come home with me!

Around here (Chicago suburbs) we have TJMaxx, TJMaxx & More and also Home Goods which are sometimes linked with a TJMaxx next door. The proportions of clothing to everything else will very from one to the other and some locations seem to get better stuff, but IMO it's all good!

• les917
    16 years ago

Nope, I'm not confused about the store. LOL

DLM2000, the Home Goods opened with a Marshalls - all one store - at Yorktown Mall in late summer.

They closed the Marshall's which was nearby on Roosevelt Road. That place was always a mess, too, but the lighting wasn't so harsh and it was an old store, so perhaps my expectations were lower for that place. I loved to shop there every once in a while, and generally did find something to come home with me. But I guess I expected better of the new store in the upscale location as far as being sort of organized, not selling all kinds of broken, dirty, and chipped things, etc.

We have a TJMaxx down the way in Oakbrook Terrace, another place I love to shop, tho I get there less often since it moved to Oakbrook Terrace. It used to be two blocks from my house, by the grocery store, so it was a sure bet that when I went grocery shopping during normal hours, I was also stopping at TJMaxx. LOL

There is a free-standing HomeGoods store, no clothing, about 15 minutes from here. That store is cleaner and better organized, tho I still think some of their prices for things like lamps and some of the art pieces are high, for the quality of them.

Oh, and I love to 'dig' for deals when I shop, and am known to use a Sharpie marker on dark items with nicks and scratches (like my $110 mirror that I got for $9.00). I love the hunt!

• jjam
    16 years ago

I don't get it. We have a large Home Goods store near me but the stuff looks cheap and kind of trendy, and prices are ok, not great. I think it would be a great place to shop if you are staging a house for sale, but for things that will last and designs that will survive the next wave of decorating trends, I'd stick to higher end consignment shops or antique malls for bargains. They still have real wood and real metal in those places!!

• karezz
    16 years ago

Les (and everyone),
    If you find something at Home Goods with nicks and scratches they are happy to reduce the item by 10%. If it's something you can live with, it's nice to get the discount!

• les917
    16 years ago

Karezz, that is nice to know, but I am not talking about a little nick or scratch, I am talking about a teapot with the spout broken off, a candlestick that has a cracked, broken off piece on the base, etc. Little things don't bother me, as I said, I am armed with my Sharpie! LOL

• DLM2000-GW
    16 years ago

karezz I agree there is much there that is trendy and not of heirloom quality. But a pillow is a pillow is a pillow whether bed pillows or decorative throw type! I can get bedding, sheets, towels, pillows, dishes, frames, tablecloths/runners/mats, all manner of small hostess type gifts that are great to have on hand, and tons more. And I get them at prices that make me feel virtuous ;-)

I love house sales and garage sales but where I live that's quite seasonal. There isn't the same thrill of the hunt for me with CL or Ebay - it's a tactile thing I guess - and strolling the aisles at Home Goods, digging on the back of a shelf - well....... I'm getting excited just thinking about it! I'm gonna go take a cold shower!

• karezz
    16 years ago

Just be sure to get the discount....even if you plan to use your Sharpie (I've done this myself!)!

• craftymeca
    16 years ago

I love Homesence ( Canada) as well.I have to say Les that I think that the HomeGoods in your area is a result of a poor Manager. I have visited a number of these stores in Canada and the U.S. and never seen one with clothing before. It could be that your store is more of a Marshalls than a HomeGoods.I have to say I have been to some pretty slovenly Marshalls and Tuesday Mornings, but I have also been to some that are extremely bright and well designed and laid out. If might be that it's just plain dumb luck that you do not have one that the Manager cares about her product. Thats too bad because that has never been my experience in a number of the ones I have visited. I hope you have the opportunity to visit one sometimes that you can see what the "fuss" is about.

• eaglesgal
    16 years ago

LOVE LOVE LOVE Home Goods!!! I do not shop anywhere else for things for my home. I live in NJ and there are 3 Home Goods within 15 minutes from my house! I recently bought a vanity sink for my powder room there for only $500. About a week after I bought it, I received a Horchow catalog that had it for $1400!! I almost fainted! I took the catalog out to my garage (where my vanity was at the time) and sure enough it was the exact same vanity! LOVE MY HOME GOODS!!!!

• yborgal
    16 years ago

krisfl, I stopped in today but didn't buy because of the long, long check-out lines. I'll go back during the week.
    I saw many lovely things that were reasonably priced so I know I'll be buying.

No clothes, though.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

I've seen some nice dishes, glassware, etc. at the Home Goods near me. Most of the case goods seem to be made of particle board, and I'm wondering how well they would hold up over time. I wouldn't buy any bedding or pillows from them, as most of what they offer is made in China, and I don't trust that the soft goods haven't been treated with questionable chemicals. I feel the same way about soft goods produced in India and Pakistan. I try to stick with such items manufactured in Portugal or Italy, since the environmental standards for such manufacturing is stricter in those countries.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

I have found at my Home Goods:

FrancisFrancis X5 Espresso machine (bought)
    Jacquard Francais table linens (bought)
    Lalique vases (passed)
    Villeroy & Boch china (bought)
    Dakota Luggage (bought)
    Le Creuset (bought some passed lots)
    John Boos butcher block table (passed)
    Tommy Hilfiger bedding (bought)
    Marcel Shurman napkins (bought 400 for a reception!)
    Missoni beach towels (passed)

I could go on and on. Yes, there is a lot of junk. But that's the sport of it all. Amidst all that made in China garbage are some real finds. I furnished my home here in FL from the rugs up and Home Goods has been invaluable.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Regarding chemicals on soft goods -- how about that chemical burden testing they did on Planet in Peril (CNN). Kids were turning up with the mandatory fire-retardant chemicals in their systems that are used for their nightclothes. I'd love to get that test done just to see.

So is Italy and Portugal better than the States, Organic? I remember warnings about their ceramic food ware still containing lead (some years ago), so I hesitate on those things.

• les917
    16 years ago

I don't think it is an issue of the manager not caring - it is a brand new store, I am sure they had corporate helpers in to do set up as they always do with these things. The manager also has nothing to do with the horrible lighting, which contributes to the overall cheap feel of the store.

I would never dispute that they carry some well-known brands and items. I have bought things from Marshall's home side, before they moved. Got some drapes that were $30 at Penney's for $10 - they are being used as my shower curtains in the upstairs bath. I have bought some kitchen items as well that were a good deal.

My guess is that things like the vanity that eaglesgal got was a buyer's sample - hence the markdown. We bought two sets of couches and loveseats from Spiegel years ago that were buyer's samples. This was in the mid 80's and we got a $1500 couch for just under $600, and the loveseat for just a bit less as always.

I guess I just don't consider $60 for a chipped vase a good deal, no matter whose label is on it. And in both the Homegoods stores that I visited in the last month, I didn't see one lamp (I love lamps) that I would buy. Not even because of price, just because of style and quality.

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

I wanted to comment on this because Les917 and I live in roughly the same area. I have been to the one and only homegoods/Marshalls store near me (Mundelein). It was a combo store, with clothes in the front and the back third a home store. The outside sign on the building clearly indicated this was a Homegoods store, not just a Marshalls, although Marshall's shared billing on the exterior.

The store was a mess. The home goods section a stack upon stack of mismatched everything. Some items were broken, others were wearly, worn and definately looked El Cheapo. A few (FEW) items I considered but nothing remotely worthy of the claim I'd read about it on this forum (In fact, I'd never heard of Home Goods before here, so when I saw the sign I made a detour to check it out.) The store was in a brand new strip mall so it wasn't old.

We also have a Tuesday Morning here. I call it the Morning After. It is also a small exploded landmine of little better than garage sale fare. I sometimes stop in (maybe two times per year) to see if anything changes. Nope. You'd find better merchandise in the home section of Walmart clearance.

I am amazed that you all find these great bargains. They don't exist near me....

• cindyandmocha
    16 years ago

You know, I can understand that DG. I never go in Marshall's but my neice loves it. Our Home Goods in our area has great merchandise. It's nicely staged, and great bargains from linens to Reidel stemware -- but no clothing.

My neice (that love's Marshalls) has a Home Goods just opened near her and it's awful -- Not nearly as nice as the one out by me.

We just got a new Tuesday Morning and I couldn't find anything at all in there I'd have. Just goes to show that whereever you are, shop around.

• vdinli
    16 years ago

I just stopped by Home Goods over the weekend. Ours also has a mix of clothes and home stuff. I was disappointed with the quality of their furniture. The drawers on the case goods stuck and most of them were in bad shape(not just nicks but deep gouges) and they were quite expensive for that. But I like their art selection and their kitchen section. Found a nice canvas for DR. Went looking for pillows didn't find any that was 100% down. So overall its the luck of the draw at this store. But what I hate the most about this store is the long lines. They remodeled their checkout counter but still have only 2 counters open when the lines are 30deep. It was frustrating to say the least.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I would never buy clothes (which our Homegoods does not sell) or furniture from them but they have a whole bunch of decorator items that we all use, not meant to be so pricy as to have to ensure them, but to fill spaces where we need a color or an item that looks good in the space but our does have Waterford, la Creuset, Lenox, Llimoges items from time to time as well as Radko ornaments, which are not temporary items, but I don't go there with the expectation of getting a 19th century antique. I go there with the expectation of finding a pair of lamps for the guest bedroom and if I find a Cuisinart Coffeemaker that suits me for 40% of what it is at the high-end store, then it goes home with me, same way with crystal vases and tableware.

• wodka
    16 years ago

I've only been in one Home Goods while I was on vacation in Hilton Head - and I really enjoyed the experience/hunt! Perhaps it was a better store because of location, but I found what I thought were pretty good deals. Sure wish we had one nearby, but we don't.

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

I don't think anyone has an expectation of a 19th century antique. It is, after all, a Marshalls chain store. But I'd like it to look less like a Salvation Army rummage store. and mine did not have anything close to Waterford, Limoge or the like. It was just plain abused junk.

• les917
    16 years ago

DGMarie, I appreciate you posting with your experience, and Cindy too. I was starting to think it was just me!

I must add that I have no expectation of 19th century antiques - frankly, I wouldn't want them. I do expect that thinks won't be broken and cracked and stained and ripped, tho. And I don't expect to pay $100 for an ugly resin lamp.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Oh, I know you do not, Les. I was just saying they have what they have but in ours no clothes, and that if anyone expects high-end always, it's not there, it's just one of those treasure hunts, sometimes I can find it and sometimes not. I am sorry, but that was not directed at anyone, just saying...:)

• onourway2nc
    16 years ago

Another HomeGoods fan here! I found two Lenox lamps for $79. each that I almost bought at the Lenox outlet last month for $140. That's one of the many bargains that I've found when treasure hunting (great description, Patricia43) at HG. Like Les, I've an HG store near us that also carries clothes and unfortunately the store is always a mess and doesn't have the selection but we have two other stores to choose from. While there are some trendy accessories to be seen, they also carry more classic items in the way of china, crystal, linens, lighting, etc. DDIL and I have had a great time finding things for their first home and also saved a lot of $$$ while doing so. Thank God there is an HG in the Raleigh area or I'd have thought twice about moving there ;)