SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

Good News*I;m home* From Jannie (long)

jannie
12 years ago

I "got the call" Thursday night about 9:30. My darling baby daughter Vicki (age22) said "Let's Go" and we were on the way. She drove me to Stony Brook Hospital here in Long Island. She was the one who sent the post telling about my kidney transplant Unfortunately, my wonderful husband Vic is confined to bed with Muktiple Sclerosis. At the hospital they got me prepped, ran a couple tests, and I was in surgery by 1:30 am Friday The Thirteenth. Surgery was over by 6 am, I woke about an hour later in the Recovery Room. A lovely nurse,Bianca, stayed with me evey second. Around noon I got up to the regular surgery recovery floor. Everything went well,they did tests round the clock. The kidney came from a 53 year old woman who was a perfect blood type match, and had died of a stroke. All I know really is she had signed as an organ doner. By the way, since then, my BIL and both daughters have signed to be organ donors, so the gift to me is rolling forward. I spent 5 days in the hospital, they finally "sprung" me today Tuesday the 17th. I feel great and I am urinating normally, eating regular food, walking around indoors using a walker. I have an incision about 4 inches long in my left lower abdomen. I have stitches that will come out in a couple weeks. They sent me home with a big box of anti-rejection medications. I have to go back Friday for my first post-op check-up. I'm feeling very good, took a shower and washed my hair. Feels good to have all the needles and tubes and drains out. Now I'm tired and I'm gonna lie down in an empty bedroom to get some rest. Not sure when I'll post again, but promise I will. Thanks for all the nice wishes in the other post.Now I'm worried about Bulldinkie.Has anyome heard from her? We both started on dialysis about the same time in 2007. I love all my KT friends! Thank you for all your prayers and good wishes!

Comments (50)

• nanny98
    12 years ago

I am SOOOO happy for you (with tears of joy in my eyes!). Keep getting better and better. I will continue to send some healing thoughts and prayers.

• sooey
    12 years ago

Oh My Goodness...what a time you have had! Congrats on the new kidney! Happy to hear you are doing so great and feel so well. Keep up the good work! Happy, Happy Day!

sooey

• Related Discussions

I'm new, I'm from Colombia and hippeastrum want to share with you

Q

Comments (25)
    Donna. thanks but there is a problem with its blooms, which is that the rod does not grow high enough. Dan I would love to have that kind, in fact most of the hippe I have are from seed, grow it is very nice from the beginning. I have several species but few pictures of flowers, here are some. crinum
    ...See More

My Mom Is Gone (Jannie)

Q

Comments (93)
    Feeling a little better today, Monday. I've spoken with my siblings and they understand I can't come for a visit right now, my husband is in a Rehab Hospital himself due to an exacerbation of Mulktiple Sclerosis. My brother is the Executor of the Estate. My two sisters have volunteered to help with the sorting of her belongings. I wrote my brother Bill "Billy" a long letter, thanking him for taking care of Mom for the last years since Dad died , for visiting her every day when she was hospitalized, for getting her hospice at home, and told him I will not challenge the will. I trust him, we were best pals growing up, and I know he'll do right for all of us. Mom wanted no wake or funeral; we will spread her ashes when the summer comes. Thank you for all your responses. They give me strength to carry on. Yes it's true. Love to all of you! Jannie (aka Janice/Jan)
    ...See More

RECIPE: Good Easy Home Made Pickle Recipes

Q

Comments (6)
    There was a dill pickle recipe posted here long ago. The pickles tasted like Claussen's. It was for a small patch of home grown cucs and you added them as you got them. Anyone out there remember that one? Opps....Guess I posted in the wrong place. This post was edited by beebonnet on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 18:50
    ...See More

Good News for Jannie

Q

Comments (24)
    Best wishes for a new healthy kidney, really fast. One of our fellow workers received a kidney from another fellow employee a month or two ago. Both are fine and back at work, have lunch together more often now than previously.
    ...See More
  • Georgysmom
    12 years ago

It was so wonderful reading your post. I am so happy for you. Such great news. Just amazing. I am old and I don't know if anything I have is worth donating but if there is anything left on me that is usable when the time comes, they are definitely welcome to it. God bless that woman and her family for allowing someone else or several people for that matter, to make use of perfectly good body parts. I wish more people would become donors. There is such a need.

• heather_on
    12 years ago

I'm so glad you are doing well. Hugs to both you and your dear hubby. It must have been really hard on him not being there with you. Wishing you a fast recovery and good health.

• czech_chick
    12 years ago

Delighted to hear the great news!

Healing thoughts coming your way!

Your fellow Long Island-er,

Carol

• alisande
    12 years ago

That is wonderful news, Jannie!! Keep those good updates coming!

• matti5
    12 years ago

Jannie I am so happy for you and can only imagine your reaction at getting the phone call you've been waiting so long for. I am thrilled at how well your recovery is going, so keep up the good work!! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a very speedy recovery.

I too have been worried about Bulldinkie. I did see her post on the cooking forum a week or so ago.

• jennmonkey
    12 years ago

So glad to see you posting! What wonderful news. I am also an organ donor. Good for your family for signing up.

I guess Fri. the 13th is you LUCKY day! :)

• nodakgal
    12 years ago

I am sitting here with goosebumps! Also very,very happy for you Jannie! My DSIL was an organ donor, a person I was very close to for years died last May and he was also. I know they live on through the people they helped!
    Rest and recoup for now!

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Great reading your update.

I'm happy for you!

• monica_pa Grieves
    12 years ago

Welcome home !
    And I join you in thanking your donor and the skilled doctors and nurses who took care of you.

• susie53_gw
    12 years ago

So glad to hear you are home... Take care of yourself and let everyone wait on you for a change..

• lynn_d
    12 years ago

I am so happy for you, Jannie, what a great way to start 2012! I too am an organ donor, tho as a diabetic I doubt they will take my kidneys.

I have email Bulldinkie twice and have not heard back from her since she said she was leaving. But I'm sure going to tell her about this, whether she answers or not, she will know there is hope!

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Jannie, that is absolutely awesome!!!

• FlamingO in AR
    12 years ago

It's great to hear from you and I hope you feel better and better every day. When my SIL got her donor kidney, it was like night and day, how she felt.

I'm glad your family members have come around to see the organ donation light. It's a little surprising that they weren't converts before this.

Get lots of rest!

• gardenspice
    12 years ago

Congratulations!
    Get rested and continue to enjoy every moment of your new lease on life! Amazing stuff.
    I'm a donor - I mean why the heck not if you can? Pretty cool to think we have the power to improve many lives after we are gone.
    Take good care of you.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    12 years ago

You have wonderful news for everyone! I am very happy for you and hope things continue to go well.

Sue

• tami_ohio
    12 years ago

Jannie, congratulations! You have been in my prayers, and will continue to be. As for Bulldinkie,I don't know if she is lurking, but I would suggest that you find one of her old posts, and send her an email with your name, KT and transplant in the subject line. Maybe she will read it and reply to you. She is also in my prayers.

I signed as a donor a few years ago when I got my license renewed. Being diabetic, I don't know what they will be able to use, but I know so many who have had or need transplants, so decided to do it.

Rest and recover, and come back as you can.

Tami

• taigen_gw
    12 years ago

How wonderful for you!! Blessings to both you and the family who lost their loved one...but what a wonderful and gracious gift they have given you and your family.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

That is just wonderful. Take it easy and don't overdo it. I hope you continue to improve daily.

• Pieonear
    12 years ago

Good for you! Hope you continue to improve.

• wanda_va
    12 years ago

It is so wonderful to hear from you. I have had such a good feeling since reading your daughter's post about your surgery. A true blessing, and I hope the family of your donor can take some comfort in knowing that they have so positively helped others.

Take care of yourself, and know that your KT family is holding you in prayers. And your mother is smiling down and watching over you. Hugs!

• cheryl_down_under
    12 years ago

Such good news, Jannie - I hope that your recovery continues to improve - keep well and look after yourself.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    12 years ago

Blessings to you and godspeed on your recovery.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

Yes, Jannie, very good news, indeed. Congratulations and get well soon.

Sherry

• tobygirl
    12 years ago

It's so good to hear from you. It's amazing how far you've come just since your surgery. Take it easy, and thank you for the update.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

forget about politics
    BEST News today

See KT Prayers do help

• Holly_ON
    12 years ago

I'm so glad your transplant went well. My donor card has been signed for years. Now that I'm diabetic, I hope something can still help another.

• Kathsgrdn
    12 years ago

I'm so glad you're doing so well and are home! I'm another long time donor.

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

Jannie,,,, so happy to hear you are doing well. There is a young man I talk to at the fitness center who is waiting for a kidney. He has been through some rough times. I will tell him how well you have done after your surgery. Maybe it will give him hope.

Take care of yourself, and let everyone wait on you! I too am an organ donor, but don't know how much of this old body will be of any use when the time comes.

• donna37
    12 years ago

So glad to hear you're home and doing well, special thoughts for a continued quick recovery.

I have a niece in CA that has been on the waiting list for a kidney for several years.

• pam_25f
    12 years ago

You must be so happy to be off dialysis! I am very happy for you.

• katlan
    12 years ago

What a difference a day, a minute, a second can make in our lives! I'm so glad everything is going well for you. Prayers for the lady and her family whose kidney was donated to save a life. I wish continued progress and a complete recovery for you. Also prayers for your husband.

And Bulldinkie.

• mamatoad
    12 years ago

I've been waiting for this post!! So glad you are home and doing well! I'll continue to keep you in my prayers.

• ritamay91710
    12 years ago

such great news~~ now, be good, and do what the docs say. lol.

• cheryl_ok
    12 years ago

Wonderful news!

I pray Kim (Bulldinkie) will get her kidney very soon.
    Please, lets all do a group prayer for Kim.
    I will start the group prayer now, who will take my hand?

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

I am so very happy to hear all is doing well.God is good!!!

• susan_on
    12 years ago

I am so glad this happened for you and that you're doing so well! Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery!

• lindyluwho
    12 years ago

Congratulations. I'm so glad you are doing well.

Linda

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    12 years ago

Jannie, I am so very happy for you. You've been on my mind since I saw the post from your DD. My stupid computer has been giving me trouble and one day I could not connect at all to check for any updates on you. It is so good to see you are home and that you were actually able to get online and let us know how you are doing. You've got to be one strong woman!

I'm sure we all hope that Dink will get the same wonderful call that you received.

*taking Cheryl's hand*

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

Great news!!! I guess not only will you feel so much better, but you will have a lot of extra time with no Dialysis :-) How many pills do you have to take a day? What a nice way to start the new year.

• Tally
    12 years ago

Jannie, I am so happy for you! I have always admired the way you handled your illness with such grace and gentle humor.

Bless the woman who so generously donated her organs so another might find health again. Bless the doctors and nurses who guided and cared for you throughout this journey.

And finally -

YABBADABBA DOOO and WHOOOO HOOO!

• ont_gal
    12 years ago

Is this just the BEST NEWS of the new year...good for you Jannie.Take it easy now...dont overdo it.

• kacram
    12 years ago

Hi Jannie! I can't believe you are home after only 5 days!
    that is amazing! whoohoo! I'm so grateful for the lady and her family to be donors. prayers for her family too.
    I am happy for you! glad that you are able to check in. I hope your recovery continues to go so smoothly!

• jel48
    12 years ago

That's great news, Jannie! Sounds like you're doing really good. I'm surprised too, that you are home and up and about and even showering after only five days. We'll all be waiting to hear how it goes from here.

• Hellion
    12 years ago

Wonderful news, so happy for you.

• Granlan_TX
    12 years ago

Welcome home Jannie!! Such wonderful and encouraging news!

• mare_wbpa
    12 years ago

I'm so happy for you Jannie. Get well quickly.

• chisue
    12 years ago

What a relief! My father was on dialysis for ten years (until he died in his eighties). It was an even worse ordeal back then. What are you going to do with all those 'extra' hours and days? Wonderful! (About time for some happy health news from your house!)

• joyfulguy
    12 years ago

Such wonderful news, Jannie! Glad you're able to be home and on the raod to healing. I hope that it continues well, withouit complications.

Sending good thoughts and prayers to the family of the lady who shared part of her body with you.

How wonderful not to have to deal with that dialysis every few days.

ole joyful