SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goostergw

Help me find a server/buffet

Gooster
9 years ago

I'm back again, asking for help finding a server/buffet for our problematic formal LR/DR. The current server is the bottom half a full china cabinet, and it is just a bit too traditional and "incomplete" to be a full time solution. The look we are trying to achieve is to blend older traditional elements with some modern and art deco items, with some toned-down Hollywood Regency.

Thanks to the many people who have offered up suggestions before on the entire room. We've implemented many and am pending on quite a few.

Here's a selection of servers. Criteria: up to 72 inches wide, must have at least one drawer (interior ok) for storage. These are just options, please suggest anything.

Here's a look at where we've moved the server/hutch base to -- it used to be behind the dining table and now bridges the two spaces next to a newly arrived chair and the old modern one:

Here's the dining table end -- mirror is now moved to the short end and there is new larger scale artwork on the wall. But we've yet to paint it as an accent. The server used to sit at the end but it's been moved to allow for more room.

As you can see, we've got some semi-crazy items in there -- trying to avoid looking like a chair showroom.

Comments (67)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I personally like B or C because they are more open. Alternatively, I'd like a piece in an unexpected color. What is your CL like? Could you get a piece and spray paint it a high gloss favorite color, like Beverly's orange/red buffet?

• lilylore
    9 years ago

My first impression was something sleek like the examples posted by Tibbrix. They would go well with the sitting room furnishings. Sorry, booster, I'm not feeling any of the ones you first posted. I think that your look is more contemporary chic with an eclectic twist and the "Hollywood Regency" styles are taking us into yet a third or forth direction that I fear won't pull all the elements together.

On the same note, The Chippendale dinning room chairs seem to be throwing everything off. my first inclination would be to see if I could 'make them work" by introducing a more traditional style in the buffet, but on second though I would suggest slip covers -and be done with it.

And as a side note, the round mirror looks a little wimpy for the size of the wall and the table. The textiles in the sitting room are very elegant, but together they may lack a little dimension. Have you considered some kind of textile or wall hanging for the DR where the mirror is, one that might go with the seating area as well? A jazzy thin woven carpet in black and taupe could look chic and cover a lot of wall space inexpensively.

Here is a link that might be useful: jazzy carpets

This post was edited by Lilylore on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 14:24

• Related Discussions

Help me design a 48" bank of cabinets to look like buffet/hutch

Q

Comments (12)
    We were going for a hutch look for a 48" stretch too, but found it wasn't really possible to get the look while retaining utility (at least with inset cabinets). You just end up with too many small cabinets. (Our old kitchen had a big 7' buffet cabinet that looked a lot like your drawing, except with open shelves in the middle of the uppers, and I adored it--we only took it out because we were making structural changes that would slice it in two, and we didn't have another 7' stretch of wall to move it to.) What we ended up with was three equal uppers (16" each, but you could easily do shelves as one of those too--in ours, two are combined as one larger upper but the doors look the same) and then below, we did one 12" cabinet and one 36" bank of drawers. We find this a very useful layout, but you have to be okay with lack of symmetry. (Not an issue with our space because this is the end of a long run of cabinetry, so it worked.) You could also do two 12" cabinets flanking a 24" drawer bank, but I agree that 12" cabinets have limited utility. Ours is for cutting boards and cookie sheets and is perfect for that, but we wouldn't be able to fill two cabinets like that. I'd much, much rather have the extra space in the drawers. One thing we did consider, which might work for you, is a 24" center drawer bank and two 12" drawer-over-door cabinets--gives you more shallow drawer space and then less narrow cabinet space to fill. The major issue if you are doing inset or framed cabinets is that the drawers in 12" cabinets are really, really narrow, to the point of not being very useful. Here's ours:
    ...See More

QVC's Today Special Double Server Buffet

Q

Comments (29)
    OMG! The 24K gold plated set is gorgeous! I received it today and opened up the box right away! It was like Christmas morning. I opened the box and there was another box... (anticipation)... then there was another box ... (patience).... ahhh... there they are... the beautiful pots and lids.... taking them out... and huh?... there is another box! That must be the burner. Yep, it sure is. Hum... I think they overkilled the packaging ;o) First thing I did was turned on all 3 burners to test and they all work! Then, sit back and oooooh... then ahhhhh its beauty for a few minutes, then... report it back to you guys. Hah-hah... that was fun =o) Wow... can't wait to use it this holidays. Thanks for all your tips on this product.
    ...See More

Help me design a bar/buffet?

Q

Comments (21)
    We sort of decided to wait for the perfect teak modular system to arrive in my province. And it basically never will. Poor me! But also I think I need something a little sleeker and more built in just because the dining room is a bit tight. Teak credenzas tend to be in the 18-22" deep category and I'd be happier in the 12-15" territory. There will always be SOME bottles on the bar thanks to my husband's notion of hospitality. I'm hoping to wean it down from what you see above. Having glassfront cabs should help in that regard. The shelf units are 25" high wi/adjustable shelf so they should be able to hold all liquor bottle heights. My dust level tolerance has gone WAY up since I got help around the house. We use the glasses fairly often. My tolerance below waist height is not good however b/c I have three furry cats. This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 18:14
    ...See More

Help Me Find This Beautiful Buffet

Q

Comments (2)
    I googled "modern buffet" and got lots of similar things. Or also use "sideboard". It is very very nice, I agree.
    ...See More
  • Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@holly-kay: I hear you about the trendiness of the mirror, I guess I'm like a "crow" and like shiny objects. I don't mind glass -- we have plenty of storage space so its mainly display items. But I fear too much mirror will age too quickly.

@sas95: I really like the Lexington pieces, along with the one in their St. Tropez line.

@vedazu: Yes, I understand the height issues. The ceilings here are about 9 feet. At the other end of the room, though, is a wall of built-ins and a fireplace (LR side). Thus, you get a lot of height from those and the full-height panels. And, we've already purchased some larger scale art for that one wall, and moved the mirror to the end of the table. A smaller console would also be handy at the end of the table -- even the existing server was overfilled at the last holiday.

@deee: I should check out the consignment shops, and expand my radius. I never see anything interesting on CL or in the antique malls.

@nosoccermom: The two partially mirrored pieces do seem more open and add light. I'm a little concerned on C/Lexington, that the top is large enough to serve. The extra shelf on the bottom is perfect, though for buffet brunches and holidays. I thought about getting a chinoiserie-themed brightly painted piece, in the vein of beekeeperwife's recent projects.

The current server (which is migrating around) is a former breakfront china piece with a glass enclosed top, ironically. We just felt it was too imposing in the room, and the traditional design weighed pretty heavily. It was originally in a separate dining room, but that room was combined into the new enlarged kitchen. I think I made a prior posting dubbing the coupling of the old DR and old LR furniture an "unhappy marriage". A better shot of the bottom half is below. It is 64" wide.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, I was thinking of beekeeperswife's amazing glossy spray paint projects.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Lilylore: Our posts crossed in cyberspace. I can see where you are going with the Chippendale elements, as we completely agree. It's the true elephant in the room --- we've been trying to work around the issue since the kitchen remodel was completed.

Here's the other corner of the LR/sitting room side, with the more traditional FP and built-ins, plus a little mirrored furniture. The chaise in the corner has been downsized to a club chair, as it was too crowded (as was suggested in a prior thread last year).

• lilylore
    9 years ago

a quick mock up

• lilylore
    9 years ago

The breakfront is Chippendale, like the chairs. I think you could make it work in this space if you painted it and replace the hardware. A mat or silk finish in black might be easy enough to do yourself (supper super fine steel wool to satin polish the paint for the finish) and then replace the hardware with oval Adams style pulls

Oval Brass Adams Hardware Pull

Here is a link that might be useful: Adams Hardware Pull

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Actually, I find that your living room is luxurious but still light and airy and with some classic lines lines, so I wouldn't go with such a a strong geometric pattern, especially on the wall..

Also, I think your Chippendale chairs with their red/white pattern go very well with this look. So maybe really try to get that orange/red Chinoiserie buffet. I can't see how dark the chairs are, perhaps darken them more?

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 16:35

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@lilylore: yes, it's part of the set. The top is even more in the Chippendale style. We haven't braved painting it -- even with new hardware I think the shape might still shine through.

@nosoccermom: Yes, thank you I see what you mean. The strong geometric might be wrong. Something curvy but with less fussy detail might work, perhaps in a strong color, like the rusty orange in some of the accent fabrics -- the color AnnieD suggested for the wall and I'm still afraid of doing (BTW, my area CL was a bust -- too many savvy shoppers around here)

This one isn't curvy, but I kind of like the capiz -- too much? it's a new server from Bernhardt. It probably is too big.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

Posted by gooster: yes, it's part of the set. The top is even more in the Chippendale style. We haven't braved painting it -- even with new hardware I think the shape might still shine through. "

Yeah, the shape is always going to be there -but I wouldn't consider that a problem. The shape of the case by itself doesn't scream Chippendale, it could just as well be an early Adams piece. Your decor is transitional verging on Hollywood Regency and Adams goes very well with Hollywood Regency (Regency and Adams being of the same time). Using traditional pieces in neutral colors often works well with a transitional style, I suggested it in case you wanted to use this piece rather than purchase new. The oval hardware would not only compliment the style of the breakfront, but also go with a transitional theme, like your oval coffee table.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Lilylore: I was thinking that it might be easier (less traumatic) to find a piece with a shape I like and have it sprayed. I do see where you are going with the Adams details.

Well then, to summarize the feedback from everyone, I think I would generalize GW thinks:

a. Generally think the curved shapes work best, square is okay, as long as there is not too many strong geometrics.
    b. Painted or wood seemed to be preferred; avoid mirror
    c. Painting the existing or a CL/consigned piece might work.

Interestingly, with all the varied advice, no one said "its fine the way it is" -- thus the initial instinct was correct.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Reviving my thread

I took a break from this (went to Europe) and am back on the project -- will hit the consignment stores and a local furniture store. Keeping everything in mind, including paint.

I did find this one below, which may have too strong of a geometric but has the curves and the striping of the one way above... but really doesn't relate well to the chippendale. They do have coordinating chairs that are pretty fab... but 8 new side chairs might be a bit much. It also introduces mixed metals.

This post was edited by gooster on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 3:48

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love it. And it'd be great with that rug with the geometric pattern!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Gooster - please remind me where the buffet will go - along the wall on the right, or the long wall behind the table? If the former, all that will be visible in your view from the Living Room will be the side of it, no?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I love the capiz, especially having seen the other half of the room. Unthinking the wall hangings are not quite right.

Great room.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Tribbix: Thanks... I'm concerned a bit with all the geometrics going on already.... will it clash with the existing rug and the chandy?

@oldbat: We're thinking the server should actually be on the left side facing the table. Along the wall between the corner windows and entrance. This bridges the room and provides a better serving area for guests.

@mtnredux: Thanks, I love the capiz too and the room is getting closerg. Here's another one -- but I think the cream may be off.

I should get a better picture of the current room, but the old chaise is still waiting to be hauled upstairs.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I don't think it would clash. I'm going to email Oakleyok and ask her to put a pic of her new coffee table up for you. It has swirls on it, and it's on a rug with a very large paisley pattern, in front of a sofa with one. And it all looks fantastic.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Thanks Tib for the head's up!

Here are two pictures. The top has inlaid metal but it's not as noticeable as the buffet in the above picture, which I love. Honestly, I think it would look great.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I really liked F the best, its lines seemed to me to harmonize best with all the elements. Is that glass or mirror on the front? If mirror, I wonder if it could be painted over or frosted. I think a frosted glass would be very nice.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@raee: the fronts on F are eglomise silver leaf cut mirror.

@Tibbrix, okleyoak: thanks so much for posting the pics. Your table and rug look great together. The smaller pattern blends well with the bolder rug. I was mainly concerned because I already have a geometric rug, plus geometrics in the chandy, all different.

Here's the chairs in the same series as the demilune I posted above

Ok, I'm off to shop for rugs, stair runners and furniture.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Quite fortunately the local showroom recently received a bunch of pieces from this line (demilune shown above at 3:46) and had the on display, right in front. How rare is that these days? The didn't have the exact cabinet shown above but they did have a hall chest in the same wood finish. The chairs they had but are in a different finish.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I do also really like "F" from your original choices.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I didn't pull the trigger on that zebrawood console. It didn't have any drawers and I sort of have a problem with that. So, in the midst of indecision, I've pulled together a selection of the top candidates from the message thread above. I also checked out the local consignment shops and CL posts with no luck. Then, I've added a few new candidates.

C is a new choice; a sister of a Lexington piece posted above (smaller scale). Unlike "A" it has pull out silverware drawers in addition to shelves.

The idea on B is to replace the hardware with something less 'whimsical". And possibly swap the wood to rosewood or a blend of rosewood and walnut, instead of pure walnut. Am I thinking crazy things there? It's fully customizable and can be lacquered in any color or veneered in many woods. H is a similar mix, but with a less compelling shape (I like the stacks and the legs on this one).

• busybee3
    9 years ago

fwiw, I personally like a, c, and e from the new choices above and think any of them could work in your room....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

B is totally cool except for the bizarre gun pulls.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I like a, c and e as well.

• amykath
    9 years ago

C and E. Just depends on which shape fits the space better.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I like G, because it remind me of the other half of your room and because I always like lighter colors. I also would rather a true contrast with the table and chairs since they won't match.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I also like G best because it suits your lovely room. I love the color and the lightness of it. I don't think you need a heavy looking wood piece.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Six and Mtn make good points regarding the color and your room. I might be changing my vote!

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful!

I have two concerns with "G" -- primarily the color may be too warm for the rest of the room. I'd actually like to see a showroom piece.

If wood color is a problem, I could always get "B" in a taupe lacquer, complementing the base color scheme. Or a mix, say a walnut top with lacquer drawers and ring pulls. I do have a lot of builtins and paneling in that color, however, on the other side.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

gooster, how about this one from Hickory Chair. Here is a pic of the outside (does come in different colors) and a second pic of the inside I'll post next

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Inside

Here is a link that might be useful: Duchamp Demilune Sideboard w/wood top

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I must be the only one who thinks this way, but I think it is the Chippendale dining chairs that need to go, not the sideboard.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Tribbix: Hey thanks for finding that one. I hadn't seen that one yet. The customization options are impressive -- the marble top and all the finish and HW options. It does seem a bit big for the space (76"), though.

@emmarene: I agree that the chairs are a problem too -- I fear though, if I swapped the chairs out I'd just still be swapping the hutch out later. The problem started with a traditional set from a very traditional formal DR merging post kitchen remodel with a more eclectic/transitional formal LR. And DH is just not up to swapping it all out....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Poo. I thought it was the perfect buffet, has the curve, , drawers, goes great with your drapes, is traditional and contemporary at the same timeâ¦.

Sigh.

Maybe with the curvature, the actual length isn't as much of an issue?

• jerseygirl_1
    9 years ago

Love your dining room. The first buffet that came to me was E. Its clean and classic. The half moon shape works well with the curves on your chairs. I don't think you would ever get tired of looking at it. Fits the style of our room. I love the eclectic feel of your home and the dining chairs. Don't change a thing.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just wanted followup and thank everyone for their ideas and suggestions. I ended up with "C" and it just arrived. The photo is dark but you can see how it is slotting in -- I may still replace art on the various walls, but I do like how it helps bridge the dining set to the rest of the elements. Not curved like the other choice, but a bit more transitional.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think it looks wonderful!

• sas95
    9 years ago

Great choice!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow. It's gorgeous. Perfect depth too, seems like. Congrats.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Wow, it's gorgeous. You certainly picked a beauty and it looks wonderful in your room.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It looks great, gooster :)

• busybee3
    9 years ago

it looks great! nice choice.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, so much!

I hope I'm not imagining things, but it seems to make my old table and chairs "belong" a bit more. I also like the size, at 58" long it is much smaller than some of the options we all considered above. In retrospect I think adding another 7 to 12 inches on each side would have been way a bit too wide for the space.

• Jeannine
    9 years ago

This is so funny...I've been thinking about your "C" for my front hall! Can you post a close up of the finish? It looked burled in the original picture I saw, but I am always so worried about whether that's what the wood looks like in person.

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@jeanninepc99: It's not burl. It's a horizontal grain along the top and then the veneer is pieced together in front to form a radial pattern. Here's the top.

{{gwi:2140177}}

• amykath
    9 years ago

It looks great!!! Perfection. Why did I think you were going to place it to the right of your dining table? Guess I was confused all along.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Just saw this - it looks great!!

On another thread, I saw some WZ tile which reminded me of your dining room. I was wondering how a large format tile like this would look on the back wall of your dining room....

• Gooster
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@oldbat2be: too funny, don't you know that I was obsessed with both of those tiles during my kitchen and FR remodel. The circles were too large and I decided to just go with the marble in the kitchen -- then for the FR fireplace I decided to go with a painted surround and using another tile from Ken Mason. I do love them both, and forgot that they came in that orangish color (the same color I think AnnieD was encourage). One issue -- that wall is like 9x15 -- that's over $10K in tile (gulp) at the pricing that I recall. I also looked at wall paper and some other wall materials. .