SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Decorating with Reborns, a new thing? (warning-Long!)

ladyamity
16 years ago

In between Kitchen, M. Bedroom/Bath and back yard renovations I had not one but two computers go down on me and a new one brought into the house that I can't seem to master.

Soon as we got one of the old ones back and running I went to Craigs to see if anyone had some plants they wanted to get rid of so that I could make my back yard reno a bit more homey.

I found a woman selling most of her front and back porch plants, already in their plastic terracotta pots for a steal!

The best part is she lived one city over.

Made plans for today, this morning, to go take my pick of plants.

She met me before I could get to the walkway to her front door and we had a wonderful chat about plants, downsizing, grandkids, etc.

I put the plants in my car and started counting out the bills when she told me she would prefer a check.

She must have seen me glance around for something to write on and she quickly said "let's go inside where you can sit at the kitchen table".

Soon as my feet got to the frame of the front door I smelled something familiar, strong, but pleasant, but I couldn't put my finger on the scent.

She pointed to the table and chairs and I went to speak and noticed a bassinet in the corner of the kitchen.

I immediately lowered my voice, apologized if I was too loud and sat down.

I asked "Babysitting the Grands today?"

She walked toward the bassinet and with her finger motioned me to come over.

Soon as I got to the bassinet she put her index finger to her lips and did the 'ssshhhh' very quietly.

She pulled the blanket away and told me she wasn't babysitting but his was her baby, Joey and that Joey's sister was napping in the other room.

Long story a bit shorter --- she showed me Joey's sister, dressed in a really soft, fluffy sleeper, sucking on a pacifier.

You guessed it --- both 'babies' were dolls!

Not just ANY dolls, but the most life-like dolls I'd ever seen in my life!

She told me they are called Reborns and are so life-like because of the artists' work that goes into them.

She told me 'Jilly' should be awake and had me follow her into a nursery the likes I wish my own children had when they were babes!

Beautiful mobiles, gorgeous art on the walls and I could tell the baby furniture was not Walmart.

She wanted me to hold Jilly and to be perfectly honest, as I held Jilly I got a strange feeling---almost an ick factor thing.

She went on to tell me that some people decorate with nick nacks, some with vases of florals, all collect dust.

She said lots of folks have hobbies and that her's happens to be adopting newborns.

She said she'd rather redress her babies instead of dust nick nacks.

She said she and her friends get such joy out of decorating their homes "Nursery Style".

I thought I had heard of every style imaginable--Country, French Country, Eclectic, you name it.

But Nursery?

The scent I noticed when I got to her front door was Baby Powder!

Her home was decorated with all things a newborn baby would need and colors and moving things a new baby would love to look at.

Sounds were in each room----one room had a standard baby swing (no baby in it) and a little table beside it with a small radio/cd thing and it was softly playing Beethoven.

The bathroom (could be seen leaving the kitchen through the hall, a straight shot back) had a plastic baby tub (not a doll tub!) filled with rolled towels.

Told her I had to leave as my son would already be waiting at the house to help me with the new computer that I can't figure out.

All the way home I couldn't get the pictures out of my head of those dang realistic babies.

I got on the older of the computers and went to Ebay.

Sure enough, pages and pages of these Newborn Babies!

The artistry is incredible and the time and dedication to create one of these Newborns must be intense.

But please tell me I haven't been under a rock so long that I didn't realize people were decorating their homes with these newborns? ! ?

I missed out on the Decorating Gene when they were being given out so I'm never one to poo-poo anyone's decor style since I can't even figure out my own decorating style but...

And who am I to dictate what someone should have as a hobby.

But, there's something different about decorating with life-like baby dolls and all the accessories, isn't there?

Your thoughts? Or am I just feeling kinda strange about this for nothing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pages on Ebay of REBORN BABIES

Comments (123)

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This woman needs psychological help. I don't know what else to say, it's just incredibly sad.

• free_at_last
    16 years ago

Someone told me the name for this condition is 'excessive veneration'-- and it doesn't matter if its a doll or a pet or a celebrity or whatever.

• Related Discussions

Is LD Braithwaite a good starter? *warning-LONG*

Q

Comments (18)
    I, too, have had great success with Munstead Wood. Probably, the most success I have had with any Austin Rose. Not a lick of Black Spot even though a Blackspot ridden Sharifa Asma is just a couple feet away. I planted my Munstead Wood last year, but this year, I decided that I needed to move it. I did my best, but figured I wouldn't get any bloom this year, as the plant recoved from the move. Well, Munstead Wood has defied my expectations. She recovered from the move, and has gone on to give me some very nice blooms this year. And that's with no fertilization. I expect that I'll continue to get periodic blooming this year until frost, ... but I can't wait till next year.
    ...See More

Warning Long Post.....Just a Vent..... Hoping SD gets to attend t

Q

Comments (26)
    lovehadley - she did have a great time... it was just amazing how the illness disappeared when the police report was filed..... DH had to decide to keep things going on here in VA in VA for the sake of SD. BM attacks everything we tell SD and then at times makes her feel bad for wanting to attend. We attempted to keep her in the loop or ask her for her help or input and it is always met with opposition or lies. For instance -this past summer - SD was with us for 4.5 weeks. DH asked BM to send along her hair care products so that we would be able to keep her hair clean and combed. She (BM) replied with telling DH - it was not necessary for us to comb or wash SD hair - and that if her hair was changed - there would be a major problem. HUH? 4.5 and for us not to comb or wash SD's hair. Just nuts! Then she took her to the counselor when DH took her back home and her hair had been combed and washed. AND stated I abused her in order to get her to sit still to wash her hair. Which was a complete lie.... SD enjoyed it - plus it was necessary... i could not believe she wanted us to ignore a 6 years old hygeine that way. So not knowing what else to do to help protect Sd from some of her mother's actions we will just keep it too ourselves. We have no choice.
    ...See More

How to decorate a long wall...New Member

Q

Comments (4)
    I would choose some warm colors (you said you want a homey feel) that you like and that will complement each other since you will be able to see them from one room to the next. Maybe a warm caramel in one area, with a green in another and yellow or gold in others. Or you could go for dramatic and do deeper, bold colors (navy and caramel are amazing together). Hard to say since we don't know what sort of colors you like really. I would not, however, leave the kitchen as is-it doesn't do anything for the counters or cabinets. I also would put a seating area in front of the windows and another that doubles as a tv watching area in another section of that room (unless you have another room designated for tv in which case, two separate, but coordinated conversation areas would work). It looks as if you will have your dining area there as well, so once you have furniture in, the space won't seem as intimidating to you. If you do a search in the gallery section (clickable link at top), you will see tons of examples that might give you ideas. You can search by color, by countertop color (also see kitchen forum pictures), type of room, style, etc. Have fun! Be sure to come back to let us see your progress or if you are still stumped!
    ...See More

Long MIA - Warning long post

Q

Comments (18)
    Thank you to all of you. Even if I wasn't posting or doing much quilting, I was still here as a lurker or whatever it's called. Before getting back into swing of quilting things, I need to get my quilting things sorted and reorganized. I also want to sew some aprons and a quilted casserole carrier or two for some friends who responded to my request for 5 (got 6) people for a play-it-forward gifts from me. Two nieces and one nephew and 3 other friends. I asked them to provide me with favorite color, activities they enjoy, book types, special treats they like, favorite animals/pets, hobbies to get ideas of what to send them. They agree to post a message and select others to receive surprise from them in exchange. Fun figuring this out and, in some cases, making some things (stuffed cat, stuffed dog -- pin cushion or just cute toy), will make some goodies that ship well (one friend is from Great Britain). Might even do some quilted post cards or cards. Fun things representing hobbies.
    ...See More
  • justgotabme
    16 years ago

Thanks for the rip roaring laughter at your typo BACKSWEAT. "Nobody in their right mind...DOUCHES the house in baby powder" I about spit out my Tootsie Roll!

SKATIERO, please don't give anyone ideas. Think I'll touch every baby that's on any flight I'm ever on again. 8^(

This woman sounds like what we used to call eccentric. They usually are people that have more money then they know what to do with therefore do, buy or live differently than the so called norm.

Still one never knows and should always be careful when dealing with someone, of any age or sex, one doesn't know. Remember it's better to be safe than sorry.

I also wonder if Anne Geddes used these dolls for her photography? It certainly makes more sense than getting all those babies to do just what she wants them to do at the same time.

• harriethomeowner
    16 years ago

What seems sad to me is all the care and money being lavished on a piece of plastic could be better applied to a person or other living thing (or even a worthwhile inanimate object) that really could use it. It is such a waste.

• justgotabme
    16 years ago

Here's a link you might be interested in if you are curious about the realdoll. Don't worry the only one it might be offended is Morris. So Morris, if you are lurking please don't follow this link.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

LOLCATS!!! Thank you, Just!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Ok first of all, if you aren't buying your checks out of the country (mexico etc) than they can't be washed. Checks now have chemicals that react to the wash. ANd if you tear the bottom of your check, what happens is a proof opperator who has no idea (and probably does not care) what a real or fake check looks like, will tape on a new micr incoded account number and go on their merry way. YOU are supposed to catch that it's a fake check or a washed check etc. Not proof. BUt again, washed checks only happen if you buy your checks out of Mexico.

And anyone who thinks you could use this on an airline has not traveled with an infant. You can't take them through security in their carriers. They have to come out (sleeping or not) and be held. They are looked at, and if they're sleeping too hard, they'll ask to check the "baby" with a wand (I had to drug my son to travel so I've been through this). They would know it's a doll pretty darned quickly.

Carriers go through security separately. You can't walk through in a snuggly either, the baby comes out of whatever it's in.

My mother in law (ex) collected dolls. She had some hand painted ones that looked this real. They were beautiful. They looked pretty in her cabinet...she didn't feed them or bath them...they just sat in the cabinet. She wasn't crazy...she was definately a hag, but not crazy. :oP

As a parent of a child I expected not to make it...let me say that I too would have punched anyone who offered me a doll as a replacement. But, I do have to admit that I did consider, and still do, buying a little baby that they make the same size as your premie so that you can explain to your child how special they were and show them how small. I was 2 lbs 6 oz and all I could ever picture about myself as a baby was a barbie doll, since mom said I wore doll cloths. My son was 3 lbs and someday he might want to understand what he looked like, instead of picturing himself as a ken doll :oP Would I have wanted one of these if he didn't live....oh no, absolutely not, but we all grieve differently, so for someone it might be what they need. I can't say that I could ever condemn anyone for that wish.

Now this lady...I'd worry about her coming over to visit now that she has your address, because you obviously don't want a new friend (especially a "special" one) But other than that, I wouldn't worry much. And think of the lovely holiday pictures of the "kids" you'll have coming for years to come!!!

• windypoint
    16 years ago

People can be weird about their fantasy lives, and it isn't limited to just babies. For example, see link below for a very long write-up and discussion of some crazy fans who take Severus Snape from the Harry Potter books just a tad too seriously, including writing marriage vows. Many people with these incredibly detailed fantasies actually manage to live relatively normal lives going to work, paying their bills and having relationships etc. If it doesn't involve significant disablement I'm somewhat unwilling to classify it as insane rather than just eccentric. It is right to feel kinda strange about it, certainly it is strange, but it may not be craziness.

• piper101
    16 years ago

I must say, this is one of the most UNUSUAL posts I've read in a long time. My first thought was Alzheimer's and talk to your bank!!!

I wish she'd LAVISH her time and money on real charities involving real children or whatever instead of this bizarre behavior. Amity, this is story you'll be relaying for many years to come, that is for sure. We've all certainly worked it over too. This takes the "my dog is my baby" thing to new heights. Not that I don't dearly love my dog, believe me I do, but at least we get some warm licks, pure adoration, a wagging tail and snuggling out of it. LOL

I need to go back to bed!! Not great for insomnia cure :)

• sweets98
    16 years ago

If this lady is unstable and has alzheimers, there is no need to worry about that check because she may never cash it. Why such the fascination with the check anyway? Lots of people still write out personal checks these days!

I didn't look at this post until today because I couldn't figure out what the title would mean and didn't think it was anything I was interested in! LOL Surprise! Very interesting thread. I learned a lot today!

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone collecting a doll or even having a room with a crib or something in in (My great aunt always had a room set up with an antique crib filled with antique dolls. They only had one son and when the grandkids came along, she kept the stuff around and now her granddaughter sleeps in that room and loves it!). But if you think the dolls are real and are going through a routine with them every day and taking it to the extent this woman was, that's a little different. That's just not normal.

I have two children that were both born premature and a few times I thought about finding dolls that were their size to show them better what they looked like. It's hard to explain to them!

I also had a set of twins halfway through the pregnancy and they were born and lived an hour. We have a photograph of the two of them together from the hospital. It's not out on display and we're not showing it to everyone, though. I certainly wouldn't want fake babies to take their place either. That's just not normal. I mean, how does the person really get over the loss if you are replacing the dead child with a doll?

Kind of reminds me of that movie that came out earlier this year....Dead Silence! LOL

• johnmari
    16 years ago

skatiero, last couple of times my husband flew he said that the security folks were even checking inside babies' diapers. (Imagine how pleasant that is when they get a "surprise"!) I think they were looking for drugs though, since there's been a rash (ahem) of people attempting to smuggle drugs in diapers.

sweets, one of my friends had an extremely premature baby (thank all gods, he just turned 5) and she took pictures of him next to a soda can to show him later just how tiny he was - he was about the same size as the can! My dearest friend had a premature stillbirth and the hospital was wonderful about giving her mementos - I am pretty sure she has a photograph, which I don't find morbid at all, but she doesn't show it around either. She did get a puppy about a year later but it's certainly not a baby substitute, she doesn't tote it around in a little purse-thing or a stroller and dress it up, it's a dog and she treats it as such.

I used to be involved with the model horse world, made my share of remakes/repaints and went to a lot of shows. Not that much different from, say, quilt shows - we went to show off our hard work, rare models we'd found, etc., maybe sell a model or an accessory/prop. Trust me, even those of us who participated in the activities thought some of the other participants were definitely an eggroll short of their pupu platter. :-) Ditto for science fiction fandom and the RenFaire subculture (AKA most of my friends, hee hee)... some of them DO decorate their houses in pseudomedieval fashion and hang crossbows on the wall and suchlike, but in the main the tongue tends to be planted firmly in cheek (they're nuts, but they know they're nuts, and it's just all grand silly fun), and I've never heard of any Rennie something so off-the-rails as handing a sword to a total stranger who just came to buy something off a classified ad and demand they do battle in the backyard!

• happymary45
    16 years ago

I, too, have read about "real dolls"...salon.com did a story about them YEARS ago and my DH and I were freaked out and, I"ll admit, facinated. The replies to this post have been pretty entertaining. I do think that is very creepy. I especially got a kick out of Karenn's post...it made me LOL!

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I don't know why so many of you think that this woman has Alzheimer's. She did say that she and her friends enjoy decorating with these dolls. It sounds like she knows what she is doing, but that her group of friends is just carrying the "adoption" of these dolls a bit too far.

• CaroleOH
    16 years ago

I wouldn't say she has Alzheimer's - she seems to be in total control of her thought process - it's just that I think she's got some mental issues.

Regardless of her decorating style - that to me is immaterial. The issue I have with her is that she invited a total stranger into her home and proceeded to talk about these dolls as if they were real - ie. referring to the "babies" as napping and other one was about to wake up etc...

If she had just said, hey, I know this might be weird, but I love babies and like to decorate around them and love all things babies, I'd be OK - each to his own. But the pretending their alive part is what gave me the creeps.

On the other hand she did acknowledge that some might not understand her decorating "style" so I give her some positive brain wave function for that. I used to pretend my barbie dolls were real when I was a kid - made them talk to each other etc...but I don't think I would do that now and definitely not in front of a stranger!

• ilovedollies
    16 years ago

I think you are are all jumping to conclusions saying that the lady is crazy. There are many reborn collectors out there and most wish they had the means to have a nursery for their dolls. I have children and have never lost one. I collect them because they are beautiful and thats what I enjoy. Check out this forum. There are over 600 members and there are many other doll forums.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

ilovedollies, I read through the forum a bit and it does seem to be collectors sharing their enthusiasm.....

but the lady above is pretending the dolls are real babies and talking about them in such a way does make her seem a bit off her rocker.....

I wonder how I would deal with this if she were my mom or sister....
    it would be hard to keep a straight face and take that person seriously and go along with the charade.............

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

My goodness -- we've all certainly done quite a bit of speculating and armchair diagnosing on this thread, based only upon a few words from the OP! The truth is that we have no idea whether this woman is mentally unstable or perfectly "normal" (which is in itself a relative term, don't you think?), and to be honest, I'm starting to feel bad for her, for the way we've (myself included!) delved into her psyche as though we have any idea at all of her true situation.

Just my Monday morning $.02! ;-D

• tinam61
    16 years ago

I agree Auntjen - she really could have a serious problem, not something to be laughed at. Certainly not referred to as a *freak*. I find it very sad that someone would pretend (or maybe even believe) that dolls are real.

I remember years ago when my great-grandmother was in a nursing home, we would go in and visit her and several of the patients would have a baby-doll, and yes, they talked to the dolls and acted like they thought they were real. Very sad sight to see.

tina

• acoreana
    16 years ago

As someone who has had children temporarily placed with me, and having had just a smidge of exposure to foster kids and the DCF system (sis was an investigator until she could take it no more)...I have to admit that looking at that forum & the expense, care, time, attention, etc. being given to dolls when so many "real" babies need a safe place to be...even just for a matter of a couple weeks sometimes while issues are figured out...well...to be honest it is making me cry.

Ugh, now I'm really running late...and my make-up is ruined...ack

• graywings123
    16 years ago

I left the computer for a few days and see that this thread is still buzzing. There are all kinds of creepy strangeness out there - Roy Rogers stuffed Trigger, Juan Peron kept Eva's body around the house for a while, and then there is Second Life, an internet-based virtual world where you become the person you want to be.

Regarding the check, I'm thinking that the woman doesn't get out very much and didn't want cash sitting around and preferred a check so she could mail it to her bank.

• ladyamity
    Original Author
    16 years ago

AuntJen,

I too have been feeling badly since last week -- Not only for the woman I spoke with but also for posting of my encounter with this woman on this board.
    My always (sometimes way too much) inquisitive self gets the better of me and after seeing so much Reborn stuff on Ebay and not being able to find anything while doing a search here at GW Decor for Nursery or Reborn Style, this is the first place I came for answers.
    I just figured lots of people had been doing it and the responses would fill me in on the attraction, what I might be missing.
    As mentioned on a few posts by others, this is something I can't get out of my head....the whole interaction with that nice woman. I keep going from website to website, looking in amazement (or a strange sort of fascination, not sure which?) at these babies.

To be fair, I was only with the woman a half hour, 40 minutes max so I'm in no position to say one way or the other whether her 'hobby' stems from a love for the doll-making art or because of a need of a replacement for something else i.e. loneliness, loss of a child, etc.

I DO know while we were outside looking at her plants we both discussed downsizing now that our children were grown and we discussed Grandchildren so I'm going out on a limb and going to assume she had them. Although, maybe not close by?

The woman never assumed a 'mother to newborn' role while we were outside discussing plants, downsizing, grandkids, etc. until I noticed the baby bed in the corner of the room and apologized for speaking loudly.
    It wasn't even at that time she told me about the Reborn hobby (?) but waited until I was in the other room with another 'baby' that the woman went on to tell me about 'Reborn Art' and how she and her friends love decorating Reborn/ Nursery Style.

The phrase 'Nursery /Reborn Style' was mentioned several times so that's why I had thought to myself that I hadn't learned as much as I thought I had while reading GW's Home Decor site as long as I had.
    Admittedly, I don't get out much.
    I came here to ask about it because of the pages of "Reborn" babies and accessories on Ebay. I figured I'd been indoors a little too long.

She did pick up the 'awake' baby just as I would have picked up my own newborn....gently, smiling down at the baby, holding the baby's head so carefully.
    That's when she said "Here, hold her." After baby was in my arms she said "She is weighted perfectly and feels so life-like, doesn't she?"
    I must admit, that baby WAS life-like even in weight and most especially the head!

When she said '...feels so life-like' I just figured she was explaining all this to me as a hobby. It wasn't until I was on my way out the front door that I noticed the newborn diapers stacked (I am going to assume they were newborn size because they were so dag-gone tiny! just like my nephew's disposable diapers) with what looked like a travel size container of Johnson's baby powder. It was only then that I realized what I was smelling when I got to the front door...the baby powder.

To ANYONE I've offended by posting of my encounter, the decorating style and asking questions about these Reborns, my Sincerest, Heartfelt Apologies!

Amity
    P.S. After calling my friendly bank manager that morning and telling the whole story, his reply:
    'Some woman wants to sell you her baby in trade for potted plants?'
    Oy!
    I called hubby at work and had him stop at the bank after work to explain.
    He did and was told nothing to worry about except I might get an extras Christmas card or two.
    We maybe write 10 checks a year so the new technology was explained and I'm pretty satisfied with the explanation regarding check security.
    Thank you all for your concern re; the checks. Much appreciated!

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

Oh, Amity - please don't think I was fussing at you or chastising you in any way for posting about this! That was not my intent at all, and I'm so sorry if I came across that way. I re-read this thread this morning, and was just struck by the way so many of us (and I include myself!) speculacted about what we thought was "wrong" with the woman.

All of this kinda reminded me of watching the news over the weekend, and a story broke about a multi-vehicle pileup and fire. The reporter was interviewing some official, who obviously didn't have enough facts to be able to respond to her questions, yet the reporter insisted that he "speculate."
    Reporter: "How many vehicles were involved, and what are the extent of the injuries?"
    Official: "We're still in the process of finding out - we don't have sufficient information to provide at this point."
    Reporter: "Well, what's your best guesstimate then?"
    Sheesh!

Anyway -- your experience was certainly unique and interesting, and I understand that you were curious about decorating with these dolls, as most people would probably be. So please don't think I was in any way saying that you shouldn't have posted about this. I was only saying that we were quick to give our "guesstimates" on this woman's life, when we really don't have sufficient information to make any sort of judgment about her.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

Ron Mueck is a sculptor who does amazingly life like sculptures, some of them in a giant form; the reborn artistry is probably based on that art form. There is also an american sculptor who does lifesize portrayals of humans; there was a security guard at the entrance of a gallery in west palm beach, I approached him for an info, he looked so real it was eerie.

• ladyamity
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh AuntJen...Noooooo, No, Noooo!

I've been reading your posts long enough here and on the convo side to know that's not at all what you meant!
    I would never had even thought to take your post in that way. You silly woman. *giggles*

I hadn't come back to this post for a few days because of the guilt I was feeling for putting this woman, her hobby, her decor style 'out there' sorta speak.
    *Tried shaking the cradle Catholic guilt thang but...*

And I also figured I had alienated someone, somewhere with my inquisitiveness (is that even a word?) who does this type of collecting and not only would that make me feel worse but frankly, I didn't want to see myself getting scolded in print on a message board by an avid Reborn Decorator. Yea, call me chicken.
    Thus, the apology.
    I take great pains to go out of my way not to intentionally offend- either in real life or on a discussion board. Reading my OP a couple days later I saw that I could have offended, quite easily with my wording, my questions.

Mitchdesj, Oh My...incredible!

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I just realized what creeps me out about those like like babies, it's the taxidermy effect, too life like................

the american sculptor I linked below is the one who also does human like sculptures, every freckle, hair, etc.. is there and makes it eerie to look at.

• dgmarie
    16 years ago

Yes, the taxidermy effect--that is it exactly. I'm sorry, but those look to me like dead babies. Real. Motionless. I find it disturbing. No doubt the people who make them are artists, but closed eyes and sleeping, forever, babies is just morbid.

• ilovedollies
    16 years ago

I didn't mean to sound harsh. Many of you seem like very nice ladies. I guess most people just don't understand doll collectors. LOL

QUOTE:
    "As someone who has had children temporarily placed with me, and having had just a smidge of exposure to foster kids and the DCF system (sis was an investigator until she could take it no more)...I have to admit that looking at that forum & the expense, care, time, attention, etc. being given to dolls when so many "real" babies need a safe place to be...even just for a matter of a couple weeks sometimes while issues are figured out...well...to be honest it is making me cry."

Just wanted to say that many of the ladies on the doll forums that I frequent are foster mothers. Some have even adopted these beautiful children. Many special needs children too. Children have always meant so much to me. I have made my life time career working with children.

Amity, I don't think you were being rude or mean. Like I said, not everybody gets the whole doll thing.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Can I just say that I am feeling incredibly normal right now?

• ilovedollies
    16 years ago

QUOTE:
    Can I just say that I am feeling incredibly normal right now?

LOL, Really, what is NORMAL? We all have our little quirks. That's what makes the world such an interesting place.

• acoreana
    16 years ago

That is great to read. It really really is. The thing that did me in was a thread where someone had spent so much time and care describing their dolls' day and photographing all the mischief they'd been in, with accompanying photos, and the resulting spankings, and bed time punishment or whatever it was, etc. As someone who'd never been exposed to this hobby, and reading how much these dolls are loved...ugh...can't even type about this for some reason without tearing up. She's got EVERY right to do so, but at the same time I can't help if it struck a chord in me...okay, in any case I'm so glad to hear that all this love makes its way into the lives of real kiddos who desperately need it :). Please don't take this as a judgement on doll collecting, not in the least, just my honest reaction being expressed where opinions were being offered.

Perhaps now that you're all signed up over here you'll stay a bit and participate.

This is a really wonderful forum and all decorating styles are welcome IMHO :).

Nat

• Tryin2Grow
    16 years ago

We certainly do all have our "little quirks" however....

There is pretend and there is reality.

Children pretend and play with dolls, dressing them up, asking you to "shh" because they are sleeping, etc. It's a part of development IMO.

Adults that *pretend* playing dolls comes off as odd to many, obviously by the reaction to the OP comments.

Doll collecting is one thing. Keeping a box of diapers, powder, and telling an adult to "shh" is quite another.

Littledog, you have made an assumption when you say:

....I bet if the OP thought about it, she'd realize the woman was having a little fun at her expense telling her about the doll "sleeping" in the other room. Once you held the doll, did she say "Excuse me, baby just went poo poo and needs her diapy changed",...

why/how do you come to the conclusion that the woman was having fun at the OP expense? And yes, there were real diapers as mentioned.

Ilovedollies, I took a look at the forum you linked, and I will simply say I don't get it. I am curious, as I always am ;-) how did you happen on this thread? I see you joined the day you posted. No offense intended, truly. Just wondering. You've been quite a sport in your responses.

• chatrbug
    16 years ago

well.. i am one that makes reborns. i havent had a chance to read all the posts though. i have a few here and there, but i mainly sell mine. and i never fake anyone into thinking they are a real baby.. although some people do have to ask!

• littledog
    16 years ago

....I bet if the OP thought about it, she'd realize the woman was having a little fun at her expense telling her about the doll "sleeping" in the other room. Once you held the doll, did she say "Excuse me, baby just went poo poo and needs her diapy changed",...

why/how do you come to the conclusion that the woman was having fun at the OP expense? And yes, there were real diapers as mentioned.

Because if you read the original post again, you'll notice that despite the play acting ("Shhhh", and "baby is "sleeping") for Amity's benefit, the woman clearly did not believe the dolls were either real or alive. Rational, adult people who encourage you to treat a lifeless object as though it were alive, and then go on to clearly demonstrate they understand the object is inanimate are generally pulling your leg, or they are puppeteers. :^) The woman Amity described did not try to feed the doll, or change it's diaper, or talk to the doll in leiu of the real *live* person standing in the room. She discussed the dolls as an object, and essentially explained that they a decorative accessories, and that she considers "nursery style" to be a theme around which she is decorating her home. If you were decorating around an ocean theme, it would not be unusual to have ocean/seashore pictures, colors on the walls and the furnishings that remind you of the sea, seashells, pehaps seagulls sculptures and lighthouses, driftwood and assorted bric a brac. In the same way, it stands to reason that a nursery "theme" would involve baby furniture, diapers, baby pictures and other items that are there simply to make you think about babies. There is nothing "mental" about that.

You might not appreciate "nursery style", I might not think the so called "Tuscan style" is anything but a silly, done-to-death passing fad, but that doesn't mean that people who decorate their homes that way are crazy.

• Tryin2Grow
    16 years ago

Well I don't know what happened to a couple of posts since I last posted, but at any rate...

I agree with you littledog about decorating around a style. What I find hard to come to grips with is making any kind of judgement call about the woman.

You come away with the impression that she was funnin the OP and the dolls were merely a hobby that she decorated around. Other people interepreted the OP remarks another way. I don't think it's wrong for anyone to state their opinion, and personally, I don't know if I would put that in a "know it all category" - I certainly wasn't saying you were one.

I have always been intrigued by people who collect dolls, because as I said earlier, I just don't get it. Perhaps because dolls are just made too lifelike to a real human being. Decorating Tuscan or with driftwood is a *style* in my mind. Interacting with a doll just strikes me as odd. That's why I stated after reading some of the posts on the thread ilovedollies linked, I just don't *get* it.

I know doll collecting is a huge industry, and I've watched Marie Osmond way back when on QVC selling her dolls. There was a true love and admiration for her creations. I can appreciate that, yet still not get it, lol.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

The very concept of a "nursery style" is bizarre, in my opinion. Calling an obsession a "style" of decorating doesn't obviate the clearly disturbing features of that "style." This woman may be a very nice woman--sounds like she is, in fact--but a grown woman who buys diapers and other infant accoutrements, and decorates her entire house around the fantasy of having infants, even though she has none, and spends thousands on remarkably lifelike simulacra of real babies, whom she weaves into her pretend world, has a rather serious mental and/or emotional issue, in my opinion.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

Speaking of "lifelike" dolls, does anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where George's fiance insists on sleeping with this little beauty?
    {{gwi:1845449}}

• Tryin2Grow
    16 years ago

ROTFLMAO Jen...I thought of that as soon as I started reading this thread.

That's the whole point...too lifelike!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I don't have any problem with people spending thousands on a hobby or collection. Heck I collect hand blown venetian glass, and only like the antique stuff...it's expensive and so what? That's what I collect. I've even decorated around it to make it the feature in the room with everything else chosen to direct your focus on the glass, verses the room as a whole.

That being said, Venice often smells like a sewer...I don't take the decorating bit so far as to make the room smell like Venice so that the glasses feel at home. :oP

I don't talk to them, baby them, (ok pun intended) or suggest people tip toe around them. They're THINGS. Honestly, this gal was not acting like they were things (if the OP's initial post was correct). She seemed to be a bit confused with reality and her collection at times.

As a mother, let me say, buying diapers isn't a fun thing...they're for poopy babies :oP I can't wait until I DON'T have to buy them. Putting a diaper on a baby doll is one thing (they normally come with them) CHANGING THEM is another! Sheesh if you want to change diapers, come visit me and my sick little man. I'll make all your dreams come true...heck I'll turn them into nightmares if you'd like!

I am glad that this gal isn't spending her money on "real" children. I'd be sad to hear that any child had to live with her given her light touch on reality.

Collecting dolls is fine. But as many have said....COLLECTING is one thing for an adult. PLAYING with them and pretending they're real...well that's a whole 'nother ball game girls!

Now I have to go smash up some diaper "juice" so I can sprinkle it around the dining room... Ahhhh to take a theme to extremes is a good thing huh????? :oP

• littledog
    16 years ago

"They're THINGS. Honestly, this gal was not acting like they were things (if the OP's initial post was correct). She seemed to be a bit confused with reality and her collection at times."

When she told Amity the head was weighted to make it "lifelike", that shows she understood it was not alive, but a THING. When she explained they were made from store bought dolls that had been re-made by an artist, and that you could buy them on ebay, that also lets you know she understood that they are a THING. When she said she was "decorating" nursery style, and would rather dress the dolls than dust, she was treating them like what? A decorative accessory, a THING.

As for the baby powder smell, so what? Lots of people keep their home (and bodies) "Powder Fresh" because, they LIKE that fragrance. Or should we consider buying Shower to Shower a symptom of some deep seated neurosis? ;^)

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

Well, I don't know where little_dog's latest post went, but I would certainly agree that many of us on this forum are just a *tad* "obsessed" with decorating--lol. Nevertheless, I don't thing that a clear analogy can be drawn between "nursery" style and "Vino" or "Tuscan" or any other style, since I don't think that most people involved in decorating their homes in those styles blur the distinctions between reality and their style to quite the same degree (do they?). Also, there's a whole host of sociological/physical/psychological dimensions related to having children and being a mother that don't come into play in decorating one's home in other styles (other than issues of safety, etc., in decorating with real children in mind). I'm not saying that the woman in question--whom none of us know--is a certifiable nutcase. I do think, however, that--at least, in reference to the description of the situation as stated in the OP--there are many elements of this type of "style" that remain deeply disturbing to me--all of which have nothing to do with "aesthetics."
    In my view, this is not a case of someone involved merely in doll collecting--which, like tryin2grow, I don't "get," but certainly don't denigrate.

But, again, this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to pass judgment one way or another. It seems to me, however, that this is a person who might need psychological help, and that is the spirit of my concern in terms of my responses.

• irene_dsc
    16 years ago

Ok, so maybe this isn't the best 1st post to a forum, but I couldn't pass this one by. I clicked on the thread because I've heard of Reborn dolls, and couldn't resist figuring out if that was what the thread was about. The context I've heard them in is actually for baby carrier vendors who buy (or make) them to demonstrate baby carriers, btw. (For those situations where their own babies are now in school, etc) I can certainly believe that a Reborn owner/collector would enjoy handing one to strangers, in order to impress them with how lifelike they are - I think a lot of the point to them is how they are weighted like a real baby. (I've tried out new baby carriers with dolls - they definitely don't work the same as with a real baby!)

Now, having gotten through the diaper stage with my own kids, I certainly wouldn't be decorating with diapers, myself - but my 3 y/o dd spends a lot of time changing diapers on her own dolls. ;) I also know a lot of women who love cloth diapers - a nice stack of pretty cloth diapers would be a heck of a lot cuter than a stack of Huggies! (And I know enough women with baby carrier and or cloth diaper obsessions - I'm not about to judge anyone on their collections!)

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

OT: Oh, and Igloo: You would not BELIEVE the deal I just got on Sferra coverlets. :)

Sorry--now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. . . :)

• littledog
    16 years ago

"Well, I don't know where little_dog's latest post went,

I don't either, and it was so terribly well written too. ;^) My completely wild guess is that someone is keeping themself busy writing to complain about pretty much everything I submit. How sad.

"I don't think that most people involved in decorating their homes in those styles blur the distinctions between reality and their style to quite the same degree (do they?)"

I don't know, what *would* you call decorating an apartment with wine bottles, fake bread and plastic grapes a when you don't own a vineyard? Or heaping seashells on every table and pinning fish nets over the canopy bed when you live five hundred miles from the ocean? If not trying to live out a fantasy, then what? Obsessive?

I personally never got the impression the woman is a doll collector at all, but rather, just as she told Amity, she was using these two particular dolls as the focus of her decorating. I see people do that with dog breeds all the time, doesn't matter if they happen to currently own a Cutsey-Poo or not. It's not *my* style, but so what?

FWIW, I don't think you're being judgemental, you're certainly not mocking her or declaring her insane because she is different. :^) I just have a feeling after reading everything Amity has written about her encounter that all the concern about her mental state is well intentioned, but misplaced.

• IdaClaire
    16 years ago

Oh, if this woman only knew how popular she's become on this board. LOL!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

From OP: "She pointed to the table and chairs and I went to speak and noticed a bassinet in the corner of the kitchen.
    I immediately lowered my voice, apologized if I was too loud and sat down.
    I asked "Babysitting the Grands today?"

She walked toward the bassinet and with her finger motioned me to come over.
    Soon as I got to the bassinet she put her index finger to her lips and did the 'ssshhhh' very quietly.

She pulled the blanket away and told me she wasn't babysitting but his was her baby, Joey and that Joey's sister was napping in the other room.

Long story a bit shorter --- she showed me Joey's sister, dressed in a really soft, fluffy sleeper, sucking on a pacifier."

This is a person blurring reality and her "collection" You don't have to be quite (finger to lips shhhh) if they're dolls.

Bread, wine bottles and grapes are not exclusive to vinyards. In fact I have all three here in my little rental hovel and normally have all three in my own home, and we don't grow grapes. We have friends who do own a vinyard, and gosh darn it, they have the same three items in their home.

Now to blur reality with fantasy you would need to offer your guess a slice of plastic bread, or maybe sniff the air and wax poetic over the scent of the plastic bread, but just having it sit around isn't blurring reality. Much like doll collectors who have dolls on display. They are enjoying the beauty of the dolls. If they then take them down and have a tea party with them (and they're over the age of say 12) they're having some issues with reality.

Now off subject...Organic...DANG YOU!!! Did you beat me to something? :oP I have two of the lovely chocolate ribbed coverlets for my master bedroom. I love them...but must admit, the cats do too and they're getting furry :( I'm going to have to buy something else (but it will be seffra! cuz you've ruined me for anything else).

Now I'm going to go talk to my sheets! :oP Back to your regular (goofy) programing ladies!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

wow bad typing dawnie!

You need to offer your guesT a slice of plastic bread...and You don't have to be quiET if they're dolls. LOL I'm not reading anymore, I probably didn't sleep enough last night and it's creaping into my fingers!

• ilovedollies
    16 years ago

Quote:
    Ilovedollies, I took a look at the forum you linked, and I will simply say I don't get it. I am curious, as I always am ;-) how did you happen on this thread? I see you joined the day you posted. No offense intended, truly. Just wondering. You've been quite a sport in your responses.

Hi there Tryin2grow,
    I actually typed "Reborns" in a google search and found this site. Your forum is very interesting. By the way I guess chatrbug who posted above may have found you the same way LOL as she is on one of the forums I frequent.
    I really don't know about the lady in question but she may have just been trying to see if amity thought the dolls were real. I took one of my dolls to work one day. I wasn't pretending it was a real baby but many people mistook it for one.

• dianamo_1
    16 years ago

Ilovedollies, I also belong to the Doll Fan forums! So nice to see you here.

• flyingflower
    16 years ago

Auntjen:
    I saw that program too! One man bought 8 of these $4000 dolls before he met a real woman. After he introduced his Triple-D cup Barbie doll with the 12" waste to his frumpy middle-aged girlfriend their relationship was over in a week!! I guess she wasn't as "open minded" as she thought she was, LOL.

• ilovedollies
    16 years ago

Quote:
    Ilovedollies, I also belong to the Doll Fan forums! So nice to see you here.

Hi there Dianamo!