SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamagnome

Is LD Braithwaite a good starter? *warning-LONG*

mamagnome
11 years ago

Hello everyone! I am fairly new to GW but have been graciously welcomed over at the seed exchange forum.

Little background: I'm zone 5b-6a MA

I have never grown roses & really hardly any flowers...yet. We have plans (my little girl & I) to dig a large flower garden in addition to our current veggie garden. Back breaking work I know (luckily we will have the help of 2 men & a tractor.)

I had a good friend pass away tragically less than a week ago. It broke my heart that I couldn't make it to her funeral on such short notice being halfway across the country. We thought it would be nice to plant something in her memory. Her favorite flowers were deep red roses & stargazer lilies. So I have been researching the *favorite* rose suppliers that I have read about in past posts. The LD seems hardy, a beautiful color she would love & big beautiful blooms.

Here is the deal- I don't want to kill it! I know have time before I am able to order it, I just wanted some input on this particular rose. Is it super high maintenance? Im pretty determined to plant roses for her no matter what, I just need to prepare myself :)

OR..if anyone knows of another really deep/dark red rose that might be better PLEASE let me know. Sorry for the LONG post, all of this keeps my mind off things & in a positive direction:) Take care everyone & God bless you if you read this far!

Comments (18)