SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jencox_gw

Show me your double-bowl sink in your bathroom

jencox
15 years ago

We have 1 gigantic mirror in there but I think it looks too hotel'ish....I want to get 2 mirrors....just looking for suggestions.

Jennifer

Comments (35)

• callaloo
    15 years ago

Before we did our remodel, we had a double sink with a giant mirror (sorry, you can't see all of it in the photo). We made it less hotel-ish but framing it with molding, and by removing the Hollywood-style strip of bulbs and replacing them with sconces. It was a great improvement from the initial set-up, but still unsatisfactory (the pickled cabinets with no drawer space didn't help...).

Since we've remodeled, the design of the vanity/double sinks gives us no choice but to have separate framed mirrors.

Before:

After:

• gardenergwen
    15 years ago

No pictures as we still have a master bath remodel in our future but wanted to suggest posting this question over on the bath forum too.

• Related Discussions

Please show me your small bathrooms.

Q

Comments (27)
    I have small guest/second bath and every part of me wants to rip out the small tub/shower and replace it with a walk in shower. I don't take baths, I am sure none of my guests will take baths. However, I have decided to eliminate the bath in the master, so I think I forced to leave the bath in the second bathroom. As much as I hate it, it's going to have to stay I guess so the home has at least one for re-sale. The other part of that is that if I ever did have a friend with kids visiting, they do need a bath for the little ones. If I had all the money in the world and was planning to die in the home and never sell I would not bother keeping any bath tubs at all!
    ...See More

Small bathroom? Show me your storage!

Q

Comments (3)
    Jane when we did the kids bath a few years ago, we got a vanity that has a storage drawer on the bottom. There is storage place under the sink for the towels and each kid has a drawer, then there is the storage drawer that is the width of the whole vanity. It is great. I also put what was supposed to be a spice shelf over the toilet. My dd puts her lotions and potions in there. Good Luck. Laura Here is a link that might be useful: vanity
    ...See More

show me your best half-bathroom pictures

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi - I remember there is a very pretty half bath in this thread, you may have to scroll down a bit Here is a link that might be useful: 3 dogs bathroom picture
    ...See More

Show me pics of your bathroom sink reveal

Q

Comments (4)
    !!! I swear we have Caxton too. So. It's a double sink vanity top, they came and templated and took one sink with them to make sure cutouts were right, come back, install everything and both sinks, and I notice one of the cutouts is crazy, completely uneven overhang (guess that's negative reveal). Took awhile to figure Out, but the sinks, both labeled in box, and on the sink itself, with same product name etc, -- the two Caxton sinks were not the same. Went back to bath supply store and they pull all the boxes of Caxton they had. Sadly, the countertop cutouts were gauged to "sink 1 Caxton" and the sink the supplier had more of was" sink 2 Caxton" which needed smaller cutout. Never did get an explanation for difference in sinks, we had to re-do the counter with new material, it was crazy. So I am very suspicious of Caxton. Long story to say good luck with your cutout.
    ...See More
  • nhb22
    15 years ago

callaloo - Your remodel looks fantastic!

We have the full mirror in our girls bath. It never occurred to me to put two single mirrors in this room. Dark wood frames would have looked great with the cabinets, and I am a big fan of single picture frame mirrors in the bath. :( Oh well...I really like the larger mirror because it makes the room look larger.
    {{gwi:1537494}}

For the Master bath, our sink areas are on opposite sides of the room, so we did use the single mirrors.

Also have a single in the guest bath.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

I have the big mirrors and love them!

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

You can also frame the big mirror rather then get two smaller mirrors. We ordered frames from www.mirrormates.com

They went together easily and look so much better then the plain mirror. We ordered some samples for a very small amount of money to make sure we liked the finishes before we ordered the whole frames.

• anotherlinda
    15 years ago

>>>happyladi - thanks for that link. I've got a glued wall mirror in the hall bathroom that has water damage on the bottom edge. These frames look like just the ticket.

Just ordered 7 samples, just $15 shipping. Cool!

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

It is very hard for me to get an overall view of my vanity, but you can get the idea--one if the top and one the bottom.

I like our design with the framed mirrors, though I know some prefer putting the sconces to the sides of the mirrors instead of above like mine. I believe the theory is that the light from the sides casts less shadows then from above. So in that scenario, you'd do three sconces: one to side of each mirror and one in between. That said, I really like having the center hutch cabinet. We put an outlet inside and keep our Sonicare plugged in and off the countertops.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Those mirrormate frames look interesting, but be sure you read the product description carefully. All of their frames are made of mdf, which is not a good choice for a bathroom that will be steamed up from frequent showers. Also, their instructions say not to use windex or household cleaners on the frames and to wipe any drips off immediately because it will damage the finish (and they won't stand by their product should it come itno contact with a household cleaner like windex) -- which seems like it would make cleaning the mirrors that the frames are stuck to awfully difficult.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I will post pics of the 2 oval tilt mirrors I have in the kids' bathroom (our only bath right now LOL) after we get the 2nd one up.

NHB - where did you get the small sink for the guest bath? Or is that a large dresser? I have an antique washstand 32" wide by 17" deep (at the middle) that just fits in my half bath, want to do the drop in sink, though have been considering vessel since it's so low, but with the harp-shaped towel bar on the back, it is very tight and I didn't know how even a 12" dia sink would look. Faucet would have to be off to the side like yours. What model/how big is your sink?

Valinsv - how wide is your vanity? I have a 60" vanity (no top, just vanity and rough plumbing) in my master, builder didn't center light boxes over the middle of each sink area (center drawers) plus we have another foot to the door so I am thinking of either adding fillers or buying 2 36" vanities like we did in the kids' bath. But DH won't like scrapping a brand new (except for holes cut in the back for rough plumbing) vanity just because I think it's too small for the space. I've already bought 24" wide sinks though. I'd love to do a center hutch like yours, and once I get the electrical moved, I'm going to look for lights like yours in ORB. I love the "swingarm" look - makes them look not so much like typical bathroom vanity light bars.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

ajsmama - The base (not the scalloped edged top) is 42 x 19. The sink is a Kohler (15 x 18) that I bought off the shelf at Lowe's several years ago before the vessel was in vogue. It just fit because the base of the sink (the part that doesn't show) was a full inch and a half smaller in diameter, than the outside edge.

I think you need to go with a vessel. Believe me, you do not want to try a 12" sink. That's the size that were put into our girls bath. They were tiny and why we ended up with vessels. The white vessels would not have been my first choice, but I had to quickly run out and get something that would fit in the granite holes while the plumber was working in the house. If you want to know what a 12" would look like on your sink base, get a 12" mixing bowl or equivalent and see how you like the size. Barely enough room to spit in.

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

Sarschlos, I have Mirrormate frames on two mirrors. They are wood and I have had NO problems with them in my bathrooms. I clean my mirrors with Windex and it's not been a problem, either. I haven't sprayed the Windex on the frames, haven't even thought about it. It isn't hard to not spray it on the frames. Really, it's a non issue.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Mine is 84" wide and believe me I took every inch I could to get all the way to the door molding. It consists of 3 cabs: 2 30" vanities and a 24" center drawer stack. I drove the both the eclectrican and plumber nuts with my exacting specs--as it was originally plumbed for a 6' double vanity even though the plans were for a 7' one and I did not want the pipes twisting in the back of the vanity cabs because I had plans for drawers. My lights were not exactly on center if I recall in any of my bathrooms we were remodeling, but they were able to do some minor adjustments after the rough.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Thanks NHB - if I don't want to cut into the support below the wood top, it's only 13" from the backsplash. That's why I was looking for maybe 13" (with lip) x 15" sink? Do you think an oval sink would look better than a 12.5" round? I found a Donna by Bates & Bates that would fit, have widespread faucet we could put to the side. If I changed to vessel (12" pasta bowl from Target looks great one it! Like antique - just drill hole for drain, no overflow) then I'd need to buy a new faucet.

• johnmari
    15 years ago

"All of their frames are made of mdf, which is not a good choice for a bathroom that will be steamed up from frequent showers."

This has not been my experience with MDF that has a coating, laminate, or well-done paint surface, especially if a vent fan is used, which should be the case just for general health in order to prevent mold and mildew. If it's too noisy, it's not hard to replace it with one of the new ultra-quiet ones - we had one from the Panasonic Whisper line in our previous house's master bath and you had to stand directly underneath it listening closely to hear it at all. We had to put it on a timer so we wouldn't inadvertently leave it running all day because we didn't hear it! (And we only had 7.5' ceilings, with even higher ceilings it would be even less audible.) We have MDF bathroom cabinets now and have had them in the past, and have not had problems even with somewhat "iffy" ventilation, except when the cabinets were in prolonged contact with actual liquid water in quantity. (As happyladi points out, some of the Mirrormates frames are real wood.)

"Also, their instructions say not to use windex or household cleaners on the frames and to wipe any drips off immediately because it will damage the finish (and they won't stand by their product should it come itno contact with a household cleaner like windex) -- which seems like it would make cleaning the mirrors that the frames are stuck to awfully difficult."

With all due respect, that's nonsense. I have several antique mirrors and I simply spritz the Windex on a paper towel to clean them rather than spraying the mirror itself and wiping with said paper towel. If one were less cheap than I am ;-) one could buy the glass-cleaner wipes, which are not drippy the way the spray is if sprayed directly onto a vertical surface, but applying glass cleaner onto a paper towel instead of the glass is not exactly "awfully difficult".

• nhb22
    15 years ago

ajsmama - I like the idea of an oval better than a 12" vessel.. Could you not use a larger vessel???

We had to take back the faucets we had picked out, and ended up with a bar sink faucet, but had to special order drains because the faucets did not come with them.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Here's our master bath. With a window right in the middle of that wall, we had to come up with a solution to the usual "one big mirror". I like our two smaller mirrors in there and have never missed having something bigger. Mine are punched tin with woven fabric under glass.
    Lynn
    {{!gwi}}

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

All of your bathrooms look like they belong in magazines! I'm ashamed of my plain ol' bathroom. Not sure what I can do with master, since we have acrylic shower and soaker tub, but I'll come back here for inspiration when I'm ready to finish that room!

Here's the best shot I have of the 2 sinks..

And closeup of sink/mirror/light. The mirror is centered under the light, not til we got it up did we realize that the builder was off 9/16" and the light isn't centered over the faucet...

Also please ignore the cord for our electric towel warmer plugged into the countertop outlet. Builder would not put one low near toilet, or under window for us, claiming code. We will put one the other side of toilet and lower than counter when we finish/remodel the master bath on the other side of the wall. Right now the cord runs behind the toilet - worse for safety I think than putting an outlet 4-5ft from the tub! Oh, and we were painting ceiling, finishing woodwork so ceiling fan light/grill not up yet, window trim off...my whole house is like this!

• wodka
    15 years ago

Here is ours.

{{!gwi}}

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Wodka - I love your lights! Similar to Valinsv's, but in the ORB I'm using in our master bath. Where did you get them? LOVE the way they're mounted on the mirrors (but I've already got Delta mirrors similar to the chrome one in my pic above for the master).

• wodka
    15 years ago

ajsmama, thank you! We ordered ours from a lighting supply company in Mandeville, LA. I need to look through receipts/papers, but I do remember they were described as a "Peruvian" finish, which matched our ORB fixtures.

When we were building our house, I would come here to look for ideas, and found a similar vanity with the mirrors/lighting/stained wood, and printed the picture for our builder to see. He loved the idea and went with it. I love this site!

• deborahnj
    15 years ago

Here are mine taken during construction. I have to confess I have a ton of beauty products on my countertop and I was too lazy to straighten up to take a new picture!

• wodka
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder, your girls' bath reminded me of our guest bath upstairs, although ours is a single sink. See what you think:

{{!gwi}}

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

Wodka,

I must have accidentally clicked on your pic above because I was directed to your photo page. I absolutely love all of your paint colors and also the exterior lights mounted on the wall over the windows. Would you please share? I'm looking for both paint and lighting to use in my remodel.

• wodka
    15 years ago

ajsmama, I was reading your comments about your cords and outlets. I don't know if this would work for you, but our builder installed outlets inside the vanity cabinets. It works out great, especially for hairdryers that we don't have to plug and unplug, or leave on the counter. They stay hidden and plugged, inside the cabinet.

juddgirl2, thank you so much. We used SW's Blonde in most of the house, except for SW Mannered Gold in the foyer and bathrooms. The exterior lights (lanterns) were all bought at the lighting supply house. Our builder encouraged us to use electric ones over the garage and windows, because of them being so high up and wind blowing the gas flame out and having to relight constantly. But we have the gas lantern over or front door, which is more sheltered. I really prefer the gas look, even if more "inconvenient". Let me know if you need more info.

• jewel1
    15 years ago

Hi, I looked up the bathroom paint color SW Mannered Gold. It looks more tan at the SW site, but your wall color looks more pea colored. Is that just the lighting? I love the color and now want to repaint.

• wodka
    15 years ago

jewel, I think it might be the lighting, because our Mannered Gold "in real life" appears a bit darker and richer than the Blonde, but still complementary to the Blonde. The photographer who took these shots was taking pics for a homebuilder's competition and was using all kinds of lenses and things, so color might appear a bit off, or "pea colored."

That being said, I initially purchased a sample can of Mannered Gold to try in the front guest bedroom and did not like it all. However, love it in the bathrooms and foyer.

• wodka
    15 years ago

jewel, here's another look (foyer) of the Mannered Gold. I was going to email you, so wouldn't be interrupting/hijacking this thread, but yours isn't listed. Anyway, here it is:
    {{!gwi}}

• denali2007
    15 years ago

Here is my bathroom which has the standard builders grade vanity and sinks. We took down the huge wall to wall mirror and replaced it with these 2 from Home Goods. $39 each.

• laurmela
    15 years ago

We had the contractor put a outlet on the side of the vanity for DD to use for her hair goodies! Can't even see it really.

I will have to take a pic of our double sinks in the master, I guess I never took a finished pic after they were all done.

L

• nhb22
    15 years ago

wodka - It's so funny you would say that. I clicked on this thread and scrolled up from the bottom, to see what had been added. When I got to your bathroom picture, I did a double take until I realized the wall color was gold, not red. Your bath is much prettier...Love the color!

• wodka
    15 years ago

newhomebuilder, thank you, but I love yours, too! It is funny how similar yours and mine are, even down to the rug selection. Looking at yours, I think I need to invest in a larger picture, my palm print looks rather puny compared to yours!

• dan_dhrt
    15 years ago

We have the same pair of mirrors (scary, actually!) as valinse in their post above.

However, we decided to go with a single lighting track over the mirrors rather than two separate lighting tracks, one over each.

Dan

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

Here's mine. We went with two wall mirrors.

• jmjmommy
    15 years ago

I am so glad to see this post! I will have 2 sinks and a make-up area. Does anyone have 3 mirrors?

• nhb22
    15 years ago

These are from my previous home. The mirrors were not framed, but loved what they did to the bathroom.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

However, I have to say that when I first tried out my dressing table, I could not see well enough to actually use the mirror to put make-up on. Fine for hair, but too far for face. I ended up having to buy the small mirror.

For my new home, I kept the small mirror and had a window installed where a vanity mirror would have been. Still have a mirror over my sink, though.

The dog loves the window:
    {{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths