SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy1961_gw

Upstairs steps near front door is an issue?

Cindy1961
12 years ago

We just bought our first house, and will be moving in a month. It's a cape, built in the 80's, with two bedrooms and the tiniest bathroom you've ever seen on the second floor. We still have a lot of decorating to do when we get there, and I have some questions.

1: When you walk in the front door, you the entry way is very tiny and you see the stairs leading upstairs. There is a door to close up there, so if it's closed, you see the door looking up. If you open it, you'll see the hall between the two bedrooms. I didn't think twice about this, until I mentioned it to a friend and she said she'll never visit or stay in my house, because a stairway right in the door is "bad luck." Okay, I dismissed her as a bit of a flake (which she is) but since then, I've had several people tell me that yeah, it's bad luck, wrong, and while they aren't taking it to the extreme of the one friend, they have suggested that it might be worth it to take everything in our decorating/furnishing budget and use it to have the stairs rebuilt. This would be a MAJOR project. And this is something I've never heard of in my life. The one friend, who won't visit, even said that stairs facing the door is probably why my father died last year (their condo had that, and yeah, he fell down the stairs, but I really don't think the location of the stairs was the culprit. I think it was that he tripped and he was old, and thus his bones more brittle)

I was told that I can do some damage control by putting various things like large, decorative plants in the entry way, to draw the eyes away from the stairs. The problem with that is that my entry way is about three feet square, and to the left it opens into the living room. There IS no place to put a large, decorative plant. I've also been told to hang crystals.

It all sounds like crazy talk to me, but I've had some people who's sanity I actually have always assumed tell me this, as though it's a given. If this is a given, then why did they build houses with the stairs near the door?

Has anyone else heard of this, and what have you heard about this? It just seems crazy to me, but sometimes crazy things have some type of seeds in reality, and I'm wondering if this does.

2: Should I go bright with the tiny bathroom, or light for the tiny bathroom. This bathroom IS tiny. It's got a tiny shower stall, tinier than the one I have now, and then a toilet, right next to it. The sink is across from the toilet, and if I lean forward, I might be able to wash my hands while sitting on the throne. That's how tiny it is. I know that nothing will make it look anything more than a tiny bathroom. I will put up some mirrors to help a bit, but I can't make tiny look big, so my opinion is that I might as well paint the bathroom a bold color, like a royal blue and try to emphasize the tininess, trying to make it seem cozy instead. My husband is saying, "White, white, white, it's the only color that will do anything. If you can't live with white, go with a light, pastel, but don't go bold, it will become claustrophobic." What do you folks think? To me, a tiny all white room (tile is white, sink is white, shower is white, we paint it white and every single thing in the room will be WHITE!) seems more claustrophobic than having a nice, bright and bold color.

3: I want to do the attic bedroom in three colors. Pale sky blue for the ceiling, a little bit darker than that for the sloped walls, a darker color still for the straight walls. While no one is leaping on me like they are about the stairs, I get the feeling people don't want to tell me, but they think it's crazy. And, if I do this, then what color should I paint the straight walls that go to the ceiling? Should I paint them the same color as the straight walls (Darker, bolder blue) or the same color as the ceiling? (Pale, pale, sky blue)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The downstairs is going to be a lot of whites, reds, black, something both my husband and I love, but the upstairs, which will be mostly guest quarters, I want to have a more relaxing air. And since a lot of the people who will be visiting are single females or couples, I do want it to have a slightly feminine feel to it. Not so feminine that a guy would feel uncomfortable, but a bit more feminine than masculine. I like that "Blue and white Nantucket cottage" look and the furniture I'm looking at for the bedroom is white.

Thanks for any help on this. The stairs one has me so baffled that I'm finding it's hard to think about the upstairs.

Comments (30)