SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaskelljr2

Front Loading Washer For Upstairs Apartment/Condo.....

chaskelljr2
15 years ago

Good Evening All:

I am in the process of having my apartment/condo remodeled, and I am going re-do my kitchen in the next year or two, and I want my appliances to color match (even though, they'll be from different brands).

But anyway, I plan to be purchasing my "first ever" washer sometime in the next year or two, and I would like for it to be a front loader.

Okay...... I am a single guy, and I wear a lot of nice things, but I also wear uniforms to both of my jobs. And that BARELY leaves me any time to do the laundry. And I am coming to the point that now, I detest spending what little free time I get to have by going to the laundromat to do my laundry. So therefore, I have come to a point in my life is that I would like to have a washer of my own in which I can have access to when I get home late at night sometimes. Even if it's to get me a clean shirt for the next day.

But here's what I am up against......

(01). Washer is going to be situated in a small and congested kitchen.

(02). Washer will be PERMANENTLY installed in its final sitting location. It will not be rolled to a sink every time I want to do a load of laundry.

(03). My kitchen sink has a single faucet. Not two faucets like you would see in a basement or a dedicated laundry room. So more than likely, either I will have to use a "Y" faucet coupler to attach the water inlet hoses of the washer to the kitchen faucet. Or is it possible to use a single hose connection for the washer??? If this is possible, would this adversely affect the performance of the machine???

(04). Due to the final location of the washer, I am afraid that the washer's power cord will not be long enough to reach to power outlet (which is located on the opposite end of the kitchen from where the washer is going to be located), so an appliance extension cord is more than likely going to be used. The power outlet will be located in the back end of the kitchen right next to the back door. The washer will be situated on the opposite end of the counter which will be footsteps away from the entry-way of the kitchen. Will it be a problem if I decide to use an extension cord with my washer???

(05). My kitchen floor is wooden framed and covered with linoleum. All front loaders vibrate to some degree when they are spinning. Would it help that I would install rubber feet underneath the washer so that it would cushion the vibration when my washer is spinning???? If not rubber feet or like cushioning, then what would you suggest???

(06). Are there other issues I need to take into consideration before I finally set out and make my purchase???

Oh........ let's not forget, the washer will be used in an upstairs apartment/condo.

My price range is from $500.00 to about $1,000.00 (for a "stand alone" washer only), or $1,600.00 (for a Washer/Dryer Combination).

What do any of you think of these models (???)......

(01). Whirlpool WFC7500VW (2.3 Cu./Ft. Stainless Steel Wash Drum, Electronic Controls, 1200 RPM Spin, Internal Water Heater, 33.5"(H) x 23.5"(W) x 24"(D)) -- $750.00 (List).

(02). Maytag MAH2400AWW (2.3 Cu./Ft. Stainless Steel Wash Drum, Similar features to the Whirlpool WFC7500VW (but no Internal Water Heater), 33.5"(H) x 23.5"(W) x 24"(D)..... and has more elaborate cycle selections than the Whirlpool WFC7500VW) -- $750.00 (List).

(03). Frigidaire Gallery 2940 (3.5 Cu./Ft. Stainless Steel Wash Drum (larger drum than the Whirlpool WFC7500VW or the Maytag MAH2400AWW), Electronic Controls, 1050 RPM Spin, offers greater cycle flexibility and options for the price, 36"(H) x 27"(W) x 27"(D)....... one of the top rated washers according to Consumer Reports...... was suggested by them that it performs just as well (if not better) than a $1,900.00 Miele) -- $850.00 (List).

(04). Sears Kenmore HE2 (3.6 Cu./Ft. Stainless Steel Wash Drum and a similar feature set to the Frigidaire Gallery 2940) -- $850.00 (List).

(05). Sears Kenmore HE2t (3.7 Cu./Ft. Stainless Steel Wash Drum and a similar feature set to the Sears Kenmore HE2, but adds an Internal Water Heater) -- $950.00 (List).

(06). LG WM3431HW Washer/Dryer Combination (2.4 Cu./Ft. Stainless Steel Drum, Internal Water Heater, 1400 RPM Spin, Quiet Package, Electronic Controls, Extensive Cycle Selections and Extensive Options, Condenser Dryer (but Dryer handles one half of Washer load (a BIG pet peeve to me)), runs on a 115 Volt Power Source, 33"(H) x 24"(W) x 24"(D)) -- $1,600.00 (List).

Any and all responses are highly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance......

--Charles--

Comments (5)