SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowagirl2006

Front load vs. top load washers

iowagirl2006
13 years ago

I didn't want to hijack the "dingy whites" thread - but wanted to see how many of you have a front load washer and actually like it.

Seems like for every one person that loves their front load - 10 hate it.

I hear they smell bad, they take forever, clothes aren't clean, are very expensive & high maitenance... but then I hear how fabulous a job they do...LOL

I think I will stick with the old fashioned top loader. My whites get yellow due to our water - but I use Iron Out or Yellow Out and let them soak for a while and they come out dazzling! I would really hate to not be able to use that anymore.

What is the general opinion here? Love or hate the front loaders?

Comments (33)

• good36
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like my front loader for a number of reasons. But the one thing I don't like is you can't "soak" things. If I were to buy another washer it would be a top loader.

• azzalea
    13 years ago

I'm in the interesting position of having one of each. An old top-loader at the house in the suburbs. But at the 'new' country house, I decided to go with a stacked set so I'd have room for a utility sink where the previous owner had her top-loading washer.

Now, I've only had the front-loader for about 3 weeks now, so it's early going. Have to say, so far, I've been very pleasantly surprised. I don't find it takes any longer to wash clothes--about a half hour for each machine. AND the clothes in the front loader are spun so well, that they're almost dry. When I put stuff in the dryer after washing in the FL, it takes only about 30 minutes (for a big load of towels) to dry--as opposed to about 40-50 minutes after being washed in the top loader.

No troubles with smell yet--but it's early going, and I"m careful to leave the door open after washing.

Everything I've washed in the FL has come out beautifully clean. Of course, I only use about 1/4-1/3 of the recommended amount of detergent in any machine--your clothes are much cleaner that way, because you don't get the nasty detergent build-up you get when you use the manufacturer's recommended amount.

Honestly? I wasn't real sure about getting a FL, but it was a good compromise for the space and location. And I figured, if it didn't work out, I'd put a cheap regular machine in the basement (laundry room in the 'new' house is on the first floor). So far? I'm liking the FL very much.

But you're right--people either seem to love or hate them. Oh--if it makes any difference to the discussion, I have an LG--good machine but definitely not their top of the line one. It does make a little noise when operating, but that doesn't bother me--it's in a fairly secluded location from the rest of the house.

• Related Discussions

Top vs Front Loading Washers

Q

Comments (47)
    The problem of today's market is that sometimes you have to sacrifice something for another. A couple of reasons for the development of front loader washers is eco-friendliness and space-savings. Eco-friendly in the sense that the front loader uses less water and therefore less detergent. They are also a space-saver because of the ability to stack the dryer on top of the washer, install them in a closet space or even under a kitchen cabinet (like the ones that ASKO produces - http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/W6984FI.html?brand_store=1). But then again there are companies out there that are taking the "less water" concept into consideration when developing top load washers. Take for example, WA42T26GW1 from Fisher & Paykel (I found it here - http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WA42T26GW1.html) which has an auto water level that senses the size of the load and selects the optimum water level automatically, eliminating water wastage and fabric damage caused by too little water. The only thing is that you can't stack it, but if that isn't a problem for you then it doesn't matter. I use to own a top load before converting to my Electrolux Wave Touch machines, and my machine use to emit a nasty smell (well, maybe not nasty but definitely not pleasant) after a couple of weeks of use and I use to hate cleaning the dispensers which use to get all greased up and nasty (I tend to use this word alot!). So smell there always will be whether you use a front load or a top load. And cleaning the tub is definitely not that difficult as my machine reminds me when I need to do it and all I have to do is run a cleaning cycle with bleach. Like PC vs Mac, there will always be arguments around which one is the best and it will always come down to which one YOU are most comfortable with.
    ...See More

Top load vs. front load

Q

Comments (4)
    A top load stove is easier on the back. Front and/or side loading stoves are much more common. All of them have a lip designed to catch ashes. Burning coals will not spill out unless you allow their depth to get too great. Fine ash is another issue; no matter how careful you are some will come out onto the lip when you open the loading door. Most codes require a minimum of 18" of non-flammable hearth surface from any door. Before you decide on a stove, check reviews and comments from owners at www.hearth.com. The original Vermont Castings company made great stoves. Bankruptcies, ownership changes,and warranty issues in recent years have caused many to avoid this brand.
    ...See More

laundry appliances size top load vs front load

Q

Comments (5)
    I would never "build in" cabinets around a W/D for a couple of reasons. In 5 years there could be some kind of new design that would require tearing everything out to accommodate the new machines. For resale it's better to have an open area that can house any kind of machine - top loading or front loading with or without pedestals. Washers and dryers seem to not last very long nowadays, many people replace their machines every few years now.
    ...See More

Top-loading vs. front loading: another consideration

Q

Comments (3)
    @ herring_maven If your intent was to point out the "dangers" of a top loader, I have very bad news for your theory: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Baby-Kills-Sister-4-in-Washing-Machine.html But having posted that, I have to admit I agree with fahrenheit_451; neither incident is the fault of the machines, just absent parenting.
    ...See More
  • monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

I have a top loading HE washer...most of the HE washers are front loaders, but not all.
    The best part is - no agitator in the center...I can now wash my king size comforter instead of having to go to a laundromat.
    I can also "pause" it if I want to add another item to the wash.
    I have a soak cycle.

• carla35
    13 years ago

I just got my front load so I may not be the best to ask..but I kind of like it...

It does take longer than the old one but it takes the time to spin the laundry better so the clothes come out dryer and require less drying time. When I set the washer and dryer they usually both take about the same time --50-55 minutes or so... So, the washing time although longer than my old one is the same as the dryer...isn't that really how it should be?

I haven't really checked, but I haven't noticed any spots left on any clothes. I use the special HE detergent and not that much of it. People say that the front loaders clean better because the clothes aren't sitting in their own dirty water. If you wash diapers or something really soiled a lot, you may prefer a top loader to really soak things though.

It's weird to watch... it doesn't use much water.

I'm hoping I don't have any smell/mold problems. I checked the reviews on my particular model before I bought it. You may want to do that with any type you buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Review Site

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

Oh..my top load HE washer is a Whirlpool Cabrio. Bought it 2-3 years ago and very happy with it.

• cynic
    13 years ago

There's a lot of bad info out there about washers. Many think front loaders are a "new" design but they're not. They've been around for 60+ years and the actual design is to replicate the pounding the clothes on a rock. The one thing I've figured out is that they operate differently than a top loader and there's a learning curve to using it and adapting to it. Some people are resistant to change so they shouldn't switch or they'll be unhappy.

FL machines can be very expensive depending on which model you get. But you can get a good basic unit for around $500 or less so they've widened the variety.

Don't be fooled into thinking you'll pay for the unit by water and detergent savings. You likely won't unless you use Perrier or something. And it's important to use a low sudsing detergent or you risk damaging the front loader. It doesn't HAVE to be HE detergent but for most starting out it's probably a good idea to use it to get used to the machine and have one less variable. Be warned, there are some rather high sudsing HE detergents out there too.

Water use can be a touchy subject. Front loaders use about 5-10 gallons where a top loader uses 30-35. BUT, remember that front loaders often use multiple rinse cycles where most top loaders use one deep rinse. Some FLs will do 4-5 rinses so when you do the math the water savings drops. However overall you should use less water if that's a concern.

Most FL cycles will run 45 min to an hour and if you use a heated cycle it can take many hours to run. It depends on the cycle. Yes, it's not like the top loader doing 20-30 min for a cycle. You might need to adapt your washday activities. Many FL users do laundry more days than they did with a TL machine.

If you have physical problems with bending and stretching, then you probably need to put a FL on a pedestal of some sort. Retail pedestals are about $200+ so that can add to the cost significantly and could be another consideration.

Most of the mold/mildew issues with FL are pilot error IMO. FL machines require more maintenance than do TL. Since they're water tight leaving the door open to air out and remove the water will help for the mold issues. Also it's a good idea to drain and air out the dispensers and wipe down the gasket inside and out after you finish your laundry. Another good thing is to do sufficient hot washes (min of 120, hotter than that is better yet) or run a cleaning cycle routinely.

Repairs can be expensive to any machine but it does seem that the FLs have more repair issues. No hard facts to go by though.
    I often see people say they'll never go back to a top loader after using a front loader a while. But then when the issues start they get frustrated and I think a lot of that is self-imposed.

Many FL machines have a soak option and also the ability to add a garment after the cycle starts, the latter of which I have never found particularly useful myself.

When I have to replace, I'll consider a front load but the problem is a bending issue so for me, I'm skeptical about the benefits of a FL over a TL. But I'll give it consideration.

• bee0hio
    13 years ago

Front loader for 4-5 years. LOVE it.

I didn't read all the comments yet, but you CAN soak...... just turn it off for a while after the wash cycle starts, then restart. As far as "stinking" I leave the door and the detergent drawer open after running load(s) to let it dry out.

• carla35
    13 years ago

beeohio or someone else, I'm wondering if something is wrong with my machine... the clothes get wet...but there's really no water in there to "soak" them, so to say, and I don't have a soak option.

Does your machine kind of fill or partially fill with water... I'm not ever seeing any extra water??? If I turned off the machine midcycle it would just be kind of wet clothes sitting in there...more like molding...not really soaking... is your machine different? Thanks.

• tinainky
    13 years ago

Monica, I also have the Cabrio, had about 4 years, and am not happy with it. All my towels and washcloths are shredded on the edges. How do you avoid that? I'm very careful about placing the items in "clumps" around the edge and stay away from the center.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

How often do you have to replace the seal on the front of FL washer? I've heard that leaking is a problem if the seal is a little worn out?

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

I have had my Frigedaire FL for 4-5 years and I would never go back to a top loader. My clothes get clean and don't get holes in them like they did with TL. I use HE detergent and very little of it. I want to have pedestals built for mine but I have gotten used to bending over. I refuse to pay $200 for the store bought pedestals.

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

tkaye....I just toss everything in the center. The only thing I place carefully is the sheets - I make sure to make they are in a soft bunch, instead of lengthened out. I was so used to laying the towels and sheets along the rim with the old washer, it took a while for me to change.

As to shredding....no problem here, but then, I don't use the high speed spin cycle - no need.

• western_pa_luann
    13 years ago

"I hear they smell bad, they take forever, clothes aren't clean, are very expensive & high maitenance"

Mine does not smell.

Mine takes 47 minutes for a "normal"... I can set it for less or more time as needed.

Clothes are cleaner than with the old top loader.

High maintenance? How about no maintenance!

Mine is a Maytag Neptune bought in 2001.

Oh... seal never to be replaced yet...
    and I soak clothes in mine (using the soak cycle!).

• azzalea
    13 years ago

Just wanted to mention--mine takes on 28-34 minutes to wash a load, depending upon what I put in it/what cycles I use. I've done all sorts of things, and not had a load take longer yet. And everything comes out spotlessly

• patches_02
    13 years ago

To do soaking i just push pause for awhile and then no problems. I always leave door open for awhile but then i did on my top loader too. I've had mine for over three years and no problems and would buy the same again.

• bee0hio
    13 years ago

I'm wondering if something is wrong with my machine... the clothes get wet...but there's really no water in there to "soak" them, so to say, and I don't have a soak option.
    Does your machine kind of fill or partially fill with water... I'm not ever seeing any extra water??? If I turned off the machine midcycle it would just be kind of wet clothes sitting in there...more like molding...not really soaking... is your machine different? Thanks.

Carla, I just put in a full load in (another advantage, imo, with the FL is it holds more cloths/bedspreads, etc) & checked things out. Here's what it did: water ran in for a couple/few minutes, & the drum then agitated one way then another a few times, stopped, then more water ran in, agitated, then water ran in a third time, then it began the back/forth agitation of the usual wash. I opened the detergent drawer, which shuts off the machine & unlocks the door. Opened the door & felt inside for the water level & it was just up to the bottom edge of the drum (no water leaked or gushed out on the floor). I couldn't really "see" a water level and I use the KT homemade laundry detergent that has little if any suds. I think the amount of water that runs in is based on the weight of the wet cloths. I remember one time putting something lightweight & small in the washer (maybe some fabric?, can't recall) and basically the machine just wouldn't work right, so I had to add more clothes to get it to work right.

My machine does have a "prewash" cycle, but I've rarely used it and I'm really not much of a one to "soak" anyway. But I would think that if you have the detergent & the clothes sopping wet it really wouldn't matter that you don't have a tub full of water. I don't think I would want to soak in a TL or FL for the amount of time it would take for mold to grow. How long do you think things should soak?

I used to think that you could not add that stray sock once the machine was turned on to wash, but then I learned about opening the drawer to turn off the machine, which unlocks the door & toss in the sock.

When we got the washer, dh just put some cement blocks down & put the washer on top, instead of paying the ridiculous ripoff $200 price for that "stand" to put it on. My washer/dryer are in the basement, so esthetics aren't important. If you wanted it to look more pleasing I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make a box of plywood around the cement blocks.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I'm still using the Sears Kenmore top loader I bought in 2001. Works fine, no laundry complaints. It needed one repair so far.

• carla35
    13 years ago

thanks, beeohio, I was wondering if the machine was actually filled with water and the clothes were soaking in it or not. But, mine does sound like yours.. I usually fill it pretty full so the clothes would just be wet in there and not really soaking in any water...just sitting there wet. I generally don't soak anyway...just wanted to make sure I didn't get a bad machine... I was kind of expecting more of a fish tank thing with more water and was wondering when people mentioned soaking that maybe it was supposed to have more water.

Thanks for tip about the detergent drawer. I think the directions said not to open the drawer during a cycle and I wasn't sure why, but that's proably why -because it will stop. Thanks. And, oh do you or anyone use powdered OXYclean? I have tons of it here. Is it ok to use in these machines and do you put that in a det. dispenser area (which one) or just in with the clothes?

• mcmann
    13 years ago

I've had my Kenmore FL for 6 years. Love them. I also leave the door slightly ajar and the soap dispenser slight open. I've never had an odor with them. I don't wipe the gasket down and I always use less HE detergent.

The only thing I miss about the top loader is that it's easier to see inside because my light fixture is directly overhead. After removing the clothes from the washer I just spin the drum around once to make sure a sock isn't hiding inside.

• bee0hio
    13 years ago

You're welcome Carla. I don't use OXYclean, but I think if I did I would not put in the dispenser for powdered & just throw it in on the clothes. I think liquid would be ok in the dispenser as the water enters thru the dispenser thus rinsing it out & into the drum better than the powder would.

• chisue
    13 years ago

I bought a cheap Frigidaire FL for about $500 when we moved into our new house in 2001. I figured I could afford to replace it three times for the cost of the more *special* brands. Sure enough, I did have to replace it, in 2007 -- same cost, $500. I'm still ahead money-wise, and both cleaned just fine. (The first washer was doomed by a housesitter who overloaded it.) The gas dryer has always worked perfectly.

This washer has multiple settings. I could 'soak' by just stopping the machine and restarting it. (The clothes just need to be wet to accomplish soaking. Extra water not in contact with the clothes does nothing.)

A carpenter on our build made a platform for my washer and dryer. I had my utility sink raised too; that makes it easier to wash our Westie. I'd hate to pay $200 for a platform with a ground-level drawer -- much less buy two of them.

I send my king comforter out; I never tried washing a feather comforter. The king duvet washes just fine.

I don't expect I'll ever have another workhorse like my original Maytag TL, c. 1971. It lasted 30 years, the last few at my DS's house. (The movers were astounded at its weight.)

• lilliepad
    13 years ago

I have a front load and love it.Well,it's at my home back in TX but loved it when I got to use it.LOL
    I leave the door open a little bit after using it and have never had a "stinking" problem.Top loaders will stink too if you don't keep them clean or leave the lid open for a while when you are done washing clothes so it will dry out.Gets the clothes clean.Its a Sears model with stainless steel heavy duty,large capicity tub.Mine can be stacked but I didn't stack it because it's hard for me to reach to get the clothes out of the dryer.Wish I did have the platform though.
    As cynic said,front loaders have been around for a long time.I remember my mother had one from Montgomery Ward when was in Jr. High and used it for years.I'm 68 so you can figure out about how long ago that was.LOL
    I would definitely recommend one.

• User
    13 years ago

I have the samsung FL and I actually liked my top loader better. Mine runs about 1 hr & 35 min........way too long! I don't see any difference in the clean, in fact now I have the dingy whites. The top loader was good for soaking or a quick spin or wash, now it takes forever.

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

I've had a FL for about six years and I love it. I'd never go back to a TL now. The laundry forum is how I first found this site when I was looking for reviews of FLs. There was a lot of feedback on how to avoid some of the problems people complain about and I guess that has worked for me.

• bunnylover21
    13 years ago

Love my front loader! Have had one for years. I do have a soak cycle on mine.

• gardenspice
    13 years ago

I have had a front loader for over 7 years. I don't leave it open and I have never had a problem with odor and it gets my clothes much cleaner than my old top loader did. I'd definitely buy it again.

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

I had both and I really like everything about my set now.I prefer the front load.Less water usage,you can look at it and see whats going on,mine are on pedestals which help your back alot.I have the LG Tromm cherry red.

• cynic
    13 years ago

From what I've seen, most oxy users just put the powder into the drum then add the clothes. Same with Borax or dishwasher detergent.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I am loving the new top load Maytag I got last Dec. It is not the Energy Star one as I wanted to be able to decide on what water level to use. I also didn't want it adding more water (automatically) if I happened to lift the lid to add a thing or two after it had started to fill. I have read that if you lift the lid and add nothing that it will add additional water to the wash...sheesh...didn't want that and just saw it as something else that 'could' go bad in time. There was no way of turning off the water level sensor either on the Energy Star ones.

Sue

• chisue
    13 years ago

joann_fla -- Gosh, an hour and a half? Does it dry the clothes too?

I had a combonation washer-dryer early in our marriage. It was OK for just two people and didn't have to be vented. When DS came along I bought the large Maytag set that lasted *forever*.

bulldinkie -- "...you can look at it and see what's going on." One of my favorite pictures is of our DGS doing just that, peering into the FL washer to watch the clothes go 'round. Fun for some? LOL

• joann23456
    13 years ago

We got a front loader last summer, and love it. It's a Maytag Epic, one of the smaller, lower-cost Maytag FLs. Our water usage immediately dropped significantly. (I don't remember how much, but I remember thinking, "Wow!") The clothes are clean and nearly dry when they come out of the washer. I don't notice that they take any longer to wash, either.

We leave the door slightly ajar, and haven't noticed any smell. Hoping it stays that way.

So far, we would buy the same machine again.

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

I have had a new 4.7 top loader Cabrio about a month now. I LOVE IT .....LOVE IT LOVE IT...I do almost every load on Normal. It takes 41 minutes for a full load of mostly towels or jeans. If the machine is filled it uses about 40 gallons of water for the whole cycle. Most loads I do are half full and it takes about 20g for the whole cycle..a far cry from my 12 yr old top loader. Which used about 40 a wash and 40 a rinse each cycle on just over a half full load.

Water usage though:
    Do not be fooled when they say it takes 18-20 gallons they mean ONLY for the wash portion of the cycle.

• 3katz4me
    13 years ago

Speaking of how much I like the front loader - one of the things I really like about it is that I can wash rugs in it - not the flimsy ones but the ones with stiff backing. They say professional rug cleaning but some of the ones I have are so inexpensive it's not worth the price of professional cleaning. So I tried washing one in the FL once - figured if it fell apart I'd throw it away. It turned out great.

So today I washed two rugs I've had in my kitchen for a long time. They're brown oriental type rugs so they hide dirt but they were grungy so I thought I'd wash them. A really weird thing happened. These rugs were (I thought) exactly the same. At least they looked exactly the same before I washed them. One came out beautifully - looks like new. The other one looks entirely different - the colors and pattern are kind of muddy and muted - kind of yucky looking. It almost seems like one was synthetic and one might have been wool - the one that doesn't look very good. So I put the good looking one back in the kitchen and the yucky looking one is in my laundry room. It doesn't look so bad by itself but looks terrible next to the good one.

Anyway, FL works great for washing the rugs but you take your chances on whether the rugs are really washable or not. By the way, my normal cycle is 45 mins but there are cycles as short as 30 mins. Drying is fast since the washer spins things so dry.