SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schmidpat

Front Door Water Issues - Advice Needed

Pat S.
8 years ago

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and, admittedly, not the most handy person out there. I have a question about my front door, that I'd appreciate advice on.

We've lived in our current house for about 3 years. When we have a hard rain storm, and the direction of the rain hits our front door, we often get leakage into our wood flooring. The first time it wasn't bad. But, this is creating a good amount of water leakage into our basement. It does not occur with all rain stroms, only certain ones when the rain force is strong and the direction of the rain hits our front door.

The problem is serious enough to be concerned, because the leakage into the basement was fairly large the last few times (good size puddle). I'd like some advice on how to deal with the problem. On the outdoor side of the front door, I noticed there are small holes where the door hits the base (sorry, I don't know the terminology for all of this). I'm curious if caulk or something like that could really solve the problem? My wife suggests a storm door, which obviously may help, but these holes (and the basement water marks) are outside the width of the actual swing part of the door where a storm door would help. Instead, they seem to extend all the way out to the total width of the door (including the windows on the exterior portion). So, I'm curious if there's a problem with the entire door (including the window portions on the exterior of the swing door) itself. Any ideas? I attached photos.

Truth is we haven't taken dramatic steps to fix the problem ... yet, other than painting the door, so we could try a variety of things. But, we are on a tight budget, so I'd love to try to fix this myself.

I appreciate all advice. Thank you in advance!

Patrick

Comments (6)