SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbeth85_gw

Gray paint in north-facing rooms

cbeth85
10 years ago

It's almost time for us to select paint colors for our new build. Our builder wants us to stick with SW. We have a pretty open plan, with kitchen, dining, and family room all open to each other. Therefore, I'm thinking probably one color for the majority of the downstairs (minus the bedrooms). There is crown molding throughout this area, and the builder typically paints the ceiling the same color as the walls.

I really like light, airy feeling spaces, and tend to be drawn to cooler colors. I love blues, grays, etc. I will attach a copy of the floor plan. All the main rooms are on the back of the house, which unfortunately faces north. There are a good number of windows, but all but one (a west-facing window in kitchen nook) are north-facing. I know this can make picking paint colors a little more difficult, so I was hoping to see if any of you had any suggestions for me. I'm going to be getting paint samples tomorrow and take out to sample in the house. I really don't want anything too dark. I was hoping for a blue-gray, but I'm afraid it might read too baby-blue in our rooms.

Some of the ones we've been considering are: SW Comfort Gray, Silver strand, Gris, Mindful Gray, Serene Gray, Silver Mist, etc. Any others we should look at? Or are we completely off base in choosing a blue-gray with our space? I don't want the room to feel "cold/sterile".

Also, we were considering going a shade darker in the dining room to help define it as a separate space. The ceiling would still be the color of the main area though. Is that ok?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!