SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprikosentee

Gray/blue paint color for small north facing bedroom with litte light

Madeline
3 years ago

I am moving into a new apartment with a small north facing bedroom (approximately 100 square feet) with a single window that is almost directly against another property. As a result, the room gets very little light. I really wanted to have a room with a very dark, sophisticated gray paint color (see the first image), but I don't know if this will work well in this space, as I think it might be too cool/oppressive. The floors are redwood (so very red-toned) and can't be altered because I am renting. After a fair amount of online research, I thought BM Coventry Gray would be a nice compromise (dark but not too dark for the space), but after putting it up on the wall in a few places, I think it looks a bit depressing and like duct tape. My decor is mostly midcentury modern and I have mustard and blue bedding (separate sets). I love adding lamps and warm lighting, so lighting won't be a major issue. A few other colors I am considering are BM Gibraltar Cliffs, BM London Fog, or BM Revere Gray, but I'm not all that sure. I'm not opposed to shifting to a blue or even a white paint color if it will help the room not look so depressing and flat.

Do you have any suggestions for a sophisticated blue or gray that isn't going to look bleak with the floor color, northern light, and small window/space? We'll be using BM paint exclusively. Please refer to the pictures below!

My ideal:

(Perhaps a bit less green-toned)

OR

The space with Coventry Gray swatches (the previous color is a very yellowy white. We have also decided to paint the crown molding white regardless of wall color and not paint it gray as shown):

The floor:

Comment (1)