SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frogtalk358

More north facing bedrooms -- need paint suggestions

frogtalk358
9 years ago

Next up on the list is painting our first floor master and the guest room above it. Both rooms have a medium-size casement window on the north wall but the rooms are set back from the rest of the house so an exterior wall blocks light coming from the east. The master also has a high awning window on the west wall (starts at shoulder height) above the bed so it's a little lighter than the guest room. Medium-stained wood trim that stays as is. Main living area, which also faces north but has lots of windows, and hallways are SW Ecru, which we like in those spaces. Could probably run the Ecru into the guest room but want something different for the master.

I know I need colors with some saturation but nothing so far is calling my name. Have sampled SW Samovar Silver, Comfort Gray, Modern Gray, Universal Khaki, Relaxed Khaki, Modern Tan, Favorite Tan, Netsuke, Sleepy Blue, and Languid Blue (haven't ruled this one out completely). Also Rainwashed, and a couple similar "spa" colors for the guest room only.

Master bedroom is now SW Popular Gray. Chosen by a former decorator, reads as seriously dingy. Bedding, which I plan to keep for now, has cream, gray, taupe, peach, and a medium blue; carpet is taupe; no window treatment. Bed is black iron. Was thinking of neutral walls (maybe with a blue ceiling) or blue walls but not limited to those choices. My husband says no green.

Guest room used to be the bedroom for my twin boys. Current color is SW Lively Yellow, which reads as a bright, apple green -- great for a kid's room, not so great for a guest room. Furniture is my grandmother's Depression era walnut. I have some vintage patchwork quilts I'll be using in this room so I need a color that will play nice with them.The former guest room was SW Hazel (another decorator pick, OK but nothing special).

What do you suggest?

Comments (5)