SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
red27pigglet

North facing dining room wall paint

Theresa Lee
6 years ago

Hello! First time on Houzz here. Super excited to post and get some advice I need some help choosing the right paint color for my north facing dining room. The previous owner had painted the dining room with tan / taupey color. I have done some research on this “ north facing room“ dilemma on the web and on Houzz.com And it seems very appropriate to paint it tan/ taupey that has warm undertone to warm up the chilly & depressing feel. But I just do not like tan. I started this journey so that our dining room feel more refreshed and bright. So here are some of the samples that I have painted that did not like:

SW repose gray- too dark and gloomy, had greenish color to it.

SW Eider white- too white

SW passive gray- too blue on our walls

so then I tried SW agreeable gray since I do not like blue undertoned gray. Agreeable gray looked similar to our current color of tan. So.... I went to SW yesterday and picked up more samples after talking to the color consultant.

SW optimistc yellow- Too yellow

SW lily yellow - too light

SW Acanthus green - too light and too bright.

This photo is taken in the evening and it’s raining out. We live in Kentucky and it does not get dark until 7:55pm. Our deck is stained in reddish color.

In the photo above, the left wall was painted with repose gray. The right wall with art is the current dining room color. Most of our furniture is solid wood and has maple red color to them. The art is one piece that do not come apart.

The same tan /taupey paint color was painted in our power room and I recently repainted with SW sea salt. That was a beautiful and refreshing color in the bathroom. I am not so sure if it look too cold and bring out too much of green and blue from SW seal salt if I paint that on the dining room walls. I want warm, refreshing, not to bright like neon. I am thinking sage green might look good. But will that dull out our dining room? I have not venture out to benjamin moore yet. .. I just feel lost and do not want to keep on buying more sample pots. Please help.

Comments (2)