SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marinagalgw

Help me make an upholstery choice before a sale ends!

MarinaGal
10 years ago

I have been planning to order a Mitchell Gold piece, the Hunter Lounge, for several weeks now but a sale is ending soon. My house was built in the 1910s and I have a mix of modern and traditional, but this would be one of the more modern pieces. I will use wooden legs, not the metal legs in the photo.

I found two fabrics in the color I am looking for, but I prefer the look of the fabric that is less expensive. This should be good news, but the less pricey fabric has a feel like chenille and is sort of thin - used in pillows in the showroom even though the MGBW staff swears it's okay on furniture. The other fabric is velvet (synthetic), heftier, but I don't like the look quite as much. However, it seems like it would hold its shape longer.

The more expensive velvet fabric might make this piece look even more sharp-edged and modern. The less expensive lighter weight fabric would soften its edges but would that be a good trade off? Will it get stretched out?

Both of the fabrics are called "Mink" so a chocolate brown.

I just need someone to help me make a decision - any past experience with a using a lightweight upholstery fabric on a non-slipcovered piece?

Here is a link that might be useful: MGBW Hunter Lounge

Comments (10)