SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

remodeing and what to do with old fireplaces?

Fori
10 years ago

We're getting ready to do some major work on our 1950s ranch. This includes replacing some walls removed by a PO and adding on to the side (new kitchen, breakfast nook, family room, dinky guest suite, bigger garage).

One thing we have to decide is what to do with our fireplaces. We have two and the one in good shape is in the way of progress and will probably have to be removed. It's in the middle of the long wall of the dining room-to-be, has a protruding hearth, and has a large chimney where my new kitchen is supposed to be. It also interferes with doorway placement. :(

The other has been mangled but is in a good place for a fireplace (the formal living room) (and by formal I just mean Lego-free and no TV). It's weird. I think it may have had built in cabinets on one side of it and that's why the hearth is over 13 feet long. Whatever we do, the hearth will have to be replaced with something flush to the floor--it's a tripping hazard.

These photos are from before we moved in and obscured everything with our stuff--the red accent wall is no longer red but the rest...still bad!

Can this fireplace be saved? A nice mantel and cabinetry on one side? Or remove it and enjoy some decent floor space? I don't want a NEW fireplace because I don't want the responsibility of selecting a forever fireplace that works with the house. So I'd like to work with this thing and just say it came with the house.

The bar area is where the wall once was--we will be putting the wall back. The vinyl flooring on the far side of the stone hearth is where I think built-in cabinets were. There may have been a mantle. There's a place where there isn't any stone on the side, but it's low. Maybe it was a built-in bench?

See the tripping hazard?

This is the other fireplace. There IS room for a dining table but of course it's not ideal. The addition will have a place for a table and as rare as dining rooms are these days, I doubt that a future homeowner would use that room as a dining room anyway. Our only problem with it is that it's making our addition plans tricky. For reference, the closet by the beanbag is visible in the corner of the photo above, behind the weird pendants.

(Yes, we brought in a beanbag, puzzle, and space heater before we actually moved in. Doesn't everyone?)

For reference, this is the existing plan, badly photographed. The addition will go between the garage and main house and extend back parallel to and behind the garage. The original parts of the house will remain, but be repaired. We will restore the partial separation between the dining room and living room (by turning that peninsula-off-the-peninsula with the goofy pendants into a wall again), but it will be open enough that having two mismatched fireplaces might not be cool. (Right now they are in essentially the same room, and it's definitely not cool.)

Sooooo, which fireplace should I kill? Either? neither? Any suggestions on making that messed up fireplace groovy again? My architect is in favor of fixing up the living room one and removing the dining room one. I suppose that's logical, and I know nobody likes the styles of either of these fireplaces nowadays but...I can't decide. And I really DO love the cheesy scalloped valance on the DR fireplace so don't even say it!!!

Thanks! I do appreciate all suggestions, even the bad ones! ;D

Comments (10)