SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

What to do with old addition on old house?

lavender_lass
11 years ago

As some of you know, we have an old farmhouse that we're planning to remodel. The home was built in 1904, with some upgrades in the 1920s and an addition in the 1950s.

The house started out quite small, since it was all heated by wood stoves (one in the kitchen and one in the living room) with a bedroom alcove on the main floor and a half story for the kids' shared attic/bedroom.

The bathroom, electricity, phone, etc. were added in the 1920s...along with the side glass porch, I believe. In the 1950s a larger living room and master bedroom/bath were added to the house, making the old living room the dining room, along with a basement rec room, the furnace and some attic storage.

So, what we ended up with is a mixture of trims, window styles, flooring, cabinetry, etc. What I'd like to do is come up with a 'story line' that makes sense of all these elements.

Has anyone else run into this situation? How did you handle it? Did you restore everything to the original year the house was built...or work with the changes?

So far, my plan has been to start with the 1904 home and make most of the changes in the 1920s...windows, trim, flooring, doors, main bath, etc. Then, try to work with some of the 1950s features we do like...the big brick fireplaces in the living room and basement rec room, the master bathroom, more closets and storage, etc.

Then, I get a little stuck. I'd like to flip the kitchen and dining room, creating access to a sun porch on the back. This will be new, but will look a lot like the old porch, which is becoming the pantry/laundry area. I can't reuse all the old windows (too damaged) but I'd like to use something similar.

Here's the old porch...and we will be using the door :)
{{gwi:1924361}}From Farmhouse pictures

And what we'd like to do for the sun porch...
{{gwi:1482067}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

I have a feeling flipping the kitchen and dining room (putting kitchen in the front of the house) is going to look more like a 1970s change, but houses continue to evolve, so that's okay. But, how much of the 1950s and beyond should we bring in? Kitchen countertops, lighting, flooring, etc. or should we stay more in the 1900s to 1920s with only a few more modern touches (such as TV, appliances, etc.)

Here's a quick sketch of the floor plan, but the laundry/mud room is a little cut off. There should be doors on the front and back, with a big farm sink (window above) and storage cabinets on that left wall. Also, the back door and door from the sun porch will share a back deck/porch area with steps down to the back yard.
{{gwi:1482064}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

Thanks in advance for your suggestions, ideas and experience with your old house :)

Comments (15)