SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Do you live in an old house? What have you found?

When I moved here 6 years ago, there were no visible flowering plants of any kind except a few shrubs. Over the years, I've found a ton of bulbs and a few other plants, many found due to drought, that were all getting mowed for years...
Lily bulbs, Lycoris radiata
Gladiolus bulbs
Ornamental allium bulbs
wild garlic, Allium canadense
Amaryllis bulbs
Oxalis crassipes bulbs
Portulaca pilosa
daff bulbs
Lady Banks rose along the back tree/fence line
so many cute little native wildflowers, welcome in the mowed areas!

'Tis the season to find monkey grass, huh? Tony found some in another post, that's my most recent find. I was sitting on the front porch thinking about how the grass is completely covering the concrete block barrier someone stalled on both sides of this yard unknown decades ago... and saw the flowers. Closer inspection revealed that someone also had filled all of the holes with MG and it had gone beyond as well. A couple hours later, I had the equivalent of more than a 5-gallon bucket full of chunks of it that I was sure about being free of grass.

I have also found other interesting things, like a headstone that says "WILSON." And an old property marker rock that was clearly no longer marking any kind of boundary (halfway under the house.) Several concrete curbs of the type used to mark parking spots. A ring that may be silver.

One spot where grass never grew well turned out, after drought, to be the top of an old sewer cover, the big concrete slab type along the curb of a road with, sure enough, brick work under it. Same drought revealed 4 stepping stones at the bottom of the front steps, and parts of a concrete formation that could only have been a koi pond. The current fence goes right over it.

What have you found?

Comments (22)

Sponsored