SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wifetojoeiii

Old house, old chimney

wifetojoeiii
14 years ago

House was built in 1885; the chimney used to vent a coal fireplace & furnace. Heat was changed to oil, probably in the 1930s - 40s. A hot water/boiler baseboard system was installed in the late 1990s. We bought the house in 2002. We do not intend to use the chimney for venting anything else but heat - we installed a tankless hot water system earlier this month.

The brick chimney is crumbling in the attic. We had a mason look at it & he said there is too much condensation in it (my interpretation of what he said). He gave us a quote that included additional flashing around the chimney on the roof, 2 chimney caps and the application of Speedcrete followed by Conprocco to the outside of the chimney in the attic.

My question to all - if we are going to use the chimney to vent only the boiler do we need chimney caps? And do you think applying the two products to the outside of the chimney in the attic is necessary? It looks rather messy but we do not plan to use the third floor attic for anything but storage.

I agree with him about the additional flashing on the roof and I am looking for opinions on the necessity of chimney caps and the application of the two products on the chimney inside the attic. We live in the cold Northeast by the way.

Thanks!

Comments (8)