SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sanborn5_gw

Here is the situation and too late to change it!!

sanborn5
16 years ago

DH and Finish Carpenter built my fireplace design with a picture I showed them. I want to stain it to match my bedroom set. This wood is maple with a cherry veneer.

I called the furniture company to try to get stain to match and it won't work. They use 3 0r 4 colors and 5 - 6 methods to put on. So my best hope is to match it. I bought two colors that really were close, when I stained the wood samples it looked NOTHING like the sample on the chart. Now here is what I think is the problem. MY DH and FC used poplar for the wood. DH said he didn't want to spend the $$$ on cherry so he thought this would look closest to the wood. We even mixed some and still no match. I bought the minwax red oak and the cherry color. They were both soooo close to the color of my bedroom furniture. The cherry actually cam out like a beige, and the red oak was brown, mixed some of each and still brown. Any suggestions? Thanks. And just remember it is built and DH will not change it so I have to do the best I can to make it match.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor