SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tulipscarolan_gw

Too late to change grout color?

tulipscarolan
15 years ago

Hi everyone!

First of all, thanks to everyone. I really enjoy reading everyones' posts, and have learned sooooo much!

I absolutely love my contractor. So I really don't want to bother him with this if it is a huge deal. On the other hand, if it is a quick fix, and if I am in time, I really want to change it. So here goes....

My bathroom has a lot of gloss white subway tile from AO (Lowe's). Up to chair-rail height, and in the shower, etc. I will post photos next week when it is done. However, I always planned to use the grey colored grout (I think in some brands it is called "Platinum".). The tile is not entirely done, so I didn't realize that grout would start yet. But today, my contractor, who is doing the tiling, had his key helper grout two of the walls, while he continued to put up wall tile on other walls. They never asked me what color grout--they just did white. Earlier, we had a discussion about the floor grout colors (it is a marble hex with black marble accents), and we said we'd look at the grout charts together. But I guess all along he must have assumed that naturally I would pick white for the wall subway tile. This must be his taste.

Anyway, I really don't love it....I prefer how it looked before the grout! I think since I'm using this inexpensive tile, somehow the matching grout almost makes it look fake. I don't know how to describe it, but I really would prefer a light to medium grey.

That being said, if it is a big job to change it (for example, if it would require removing the tile and starting over), I can definitely learn to live with it. This contractor has been fabulous and I don't want to create a big headache over this. But if it is simply a matter of adding more grey grout over the white grout, or something easy, I would love to pursue it! I guess I need to tell him by tomorrow morning, before they continue with the white grout.

So of course, any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thank you.

Comments (3)