SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winchesterva_gw

Painting furniture help needed -- pictures

winchesterva
12 years ago

I found this wardrobe at a local "barn" sale. I am not much of a DIYer, but would like to clean and paint the wardrobe. First, it kind of has that old furniture smell and I'm thinking if I prime and paint the inside as well as the outside that will help with that old smell. I was planning to clean it with Murphy's soap oil first, then prime and paint.

I would also like to have a somewhat distressed look to it. I would like to paint it black. I have been reading online about the different processes that can be used and now I am more confused that before. Brush, sponge, roller, or spray is the question? Then I was thinking if I put a coat of yellow paint on first and then distressed/sanded corners, etc, the yellow would show through.

It has hooks on the inside for hanging coats. This is going to be used in my entry way as I just had my hall closet converted to a powder room, only problem was I didn't have any place to hang coats...not a problem now, but the cold is coming and we need someplace to hang our coats and store our gloves and stuff and I think is is a great piece of furniture to do that.

Any guidance or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mary

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath