SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Brainstorm with me how to paint or stain these chairs?

TxMarti
9 years ago

I bought these chairs Sunday. (They were completely painted - I didn't think to take a picture until I had stripped the seats.)

My plan (Plan A) was to strip just the seat and then stain it and paint the rest of the chair black.

When I got the chairs, they smelled heavily of cigarette smoke and were kind of tacky. Cleaning them did nothing for the tackiness but I thought it might sand off. What I found when I started sanding after stripping the seat is that they probably used latex paint directly on the finished chairs and it was rolling and peeling with sanding. I don't know if they planned this look, or started painting and realized they messed up, so just quit. They didn't even finish the back of this chair. Originally, the chairs had a gray stain.

If you can see the chairs in this picture, that's the look I had planned for these chairs.

Traditional Dining Room by Stillwater Architects & Building Designers Ron Brenner Architects

This is the table I currently have in the dining room. It's just there until I get the farmhouse table I really want, but that could be a good, long while.

It was another CL find, and in worse shape than I first thought, so I painted the base and did a faux woodgrain on the top.

These are chairs (4 of them) I have had for 30 years, and in a golden oak color. They are high quality and I don't want to paint them. The finish is worn in places and I am going to refinish them in a stain about the same as the table top. I thought having the captain's chairs in black and stain would tie the chairs together.

But now it looks like I am going to have to strip the entire chair on both captain's chairs. That is more work than I originally planned, but it looks like the chairs are a nice oak so I have two options. I think.

Plan C. Strip the chairs completely and stain them to match my other chairs.

Plan D. Strip the parts that are going to be handled and not worry about the inside of the little cutouts and the narrow grooves around the bent wood pieces and seat. Then stain the chair seat to match my other chairs and stain the rest in a charcoal stain to cover up the places that couldn't be stripped. That groove isn't smooth and I don't think I could ever get all the color out of it with stripper.

If I go with Plan D, I'd like the colors to fade into each other instead of having a hard line, but I have no idea how to do that.

I usually prefer stained wood over painted, but I do like the table painted, especially on that floor. It was a cheap, veneer table so painting actually improved it's look. I don't know if I would regret painting chairs that I spent hours stripping.

Any other ideas?

Comments (11)