SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Older houses, have you changed out outlets & switches?

TxMarti
15 years ago

Since we have decided to put our house on the market next year, everything I have done in the last month & will do in the next few months has me asking "what will a buyer like?"

Our house had the old beige-ish (but really that sounds pretty & they aren't) outlets, switches & covers. As we paint a room, we have been replacing the outlets with white ones because the trim is white and the old ones just look discolored with the new paint.

But I didn't replace the things in the rooms we painted with tannish colors. In those rooms, I replaced the covers with ones that can have wallpaper or paper with matching paint, so only the little switch itself and the little round plug part shows and that color looked better than white would have. That, & replacing them is a pain because the wiring is a bit different on the newer plugs.

Now I'm to the laundry room which I painted white. I will replace the switches, but should I even bother with the outlets that are behind the appliances, since the next owner will also cover them with appliances?

Also, we have a guy coming to do some drywall repair. Even though I kept a quart of paint for each room, after a few years, I doubt it will touch up. I know I will be repainting the master bedroom, one other bedroom, and the living/dining. I'm thinking of going with a neutral just to make it market better. The living/dining has one wall wired for an entertainment/computer center with about 5 or 6 plugs on it which are all that beige-ish color because the wall unit was put in place & loaded with equipment before I had a chance to change them. But the light switches, in 3 different places, are all the flat white ones. Should I change out all those outlets even though they will blend with the new color better than the newer white ones?

Comments (8)