SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Do you match switches throughout house, or color match walls?

kaysd
11 years ago

We are mid-remodel and have a bunch of outlets and switches that need to be installed in the kitchen, living room, master suite and hallway. If I want anything other than builder basic white, I have to let the electrician know ASAP.

Most of our walls will be Dunn Edwards Fossil (soft white) with Foggy Day trim (light, slightly cool taupe). The tricky part is there will be a medium-dark grayish blue accent wall in living room and front entry, and the kitchen and/or master bath might be light gray or blue. The Lutron White Architectural Matte looks best with the Fossil walls (I need my electrician to verify the Nova T dimmers available in that color will work with our LED and fluorescent lights). My designer (now on early maternity leave) said she thought the white would look too stark on the blue and gray walls. She recommended I look at "Stone" for all the walls, but I brought a sample chip home and the undertones are too yellow/tan (that is the problem with most of the colors). There is a pale gray called "Palladium" that would probably look good on the blue or gray walls, but I am afraid it might look odd to use that color on the white walls, especially since the trim is pale taupe, not gray.

What do you do in your house - keep the switch and receptacle color consistent throughout the house, or switch things up depending on wall color?

I find this question especially tricky in the rooms with more than one color in the same room. Do I put white switches and outlet receptacles on the white walls and gray switches and outlets on the accent wall? I might be able to paint the wall plates to match the wall colors, but the switches and receptacles will still stand out.

Comments (17)