SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robar_gw

Was my Carrier pressure switch changed.....you decide!

robar
10 years ago

I recently had a problem with my one year old Carrier gas furnace. I had posted on here before explaining how the furnace would kick on and off repeatedly or not kick on at all. The trouble code that flashed on the furnace (31) indicated that the problem was the pressure switch. I contacted my Carrier dealer who installed the furnace and a repairman was sent to check the furnace. He checked it out and I was told a new pressure switch would be ordered. Just from him checking the furnace, etc., the faulty pressure switch worked for the next month. (they forgot to order another pressure switch). A month after the repairman's initial visit, the pressure switch went bad again. The repairman came a second time and played around with everything.......and the pressure switch worked again. The 'new' pressure switch finally arrived about three weeks later and he came to my house to replace the faulty pressure switch. Now this is where things get interesting. When the repairman came to my house and saw that the furnace had been working properly since his last visit.....he said "maybe I shouldn't replace the pressure switch since the furnace is working".....I said to him "you might as well change it since you're here and you have the new one with you." He agreed with me to change it. At that moment my next door neighbor called my phone and wanted to give me something outside. I then went upstairs and out my back door......I was tied up with my neighbor no longer then three minutes. I immediately returned to the basement and the repairman was done replacing the pressure switch. I doubt very seriously that he changed it. The box that housed the new pressure switch had one side open and some foam paper that the pressure switch was wrapped in was sticking out. There is no way he could have replaced the pressure switch that fast. I did not confront him about this. At the very least.....if the switch stops working again.....it's covered by my warranty. Did he change my pressure switch?.......I want to hear your feedback. He had the new pressure switch with him, so why the hesitation to install it? I had trouble with the old switch twice......even though it was working when he came to my house.....he knew it was faulty. Your opinions, please, Was it possible for him to be 'speedy gonzales'.......and replace the switch in a few quick minutes? I have a 99% gut feeling that I was duped.

This post was edited by robar on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 16:51

Comments (6)