SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

What should I do about this front door?

Tmnca
11 years ago

This is the front door of our townhouse, it is a regular steel door with a security door installed in front.

HOA color scheme must be used - this is Kelley Moore oyster (stucco and fences) and Mallard (trim). Every other unit I have seen the front door of is green with no security door.

I think the security door is ugly, but we don't want to remove it because it is very nice to have the screen door in our climate we keep the windows open most of the time, and with this door we can have the front door open at night for ventilation without worrying about security. I would like to replace it with a more attractive one like {{!gwi}} however that would require a lot of work and expense because the current door is on a pre-hung metal frame that is bolted into the stucco surrounding the front door. The bolts are security bolts and would have to be drilled out.

The security door is semi-transparent it's a sort of perforated metal so it's not as transparent as a screen door.

First of all, I will paint the front door itself dark green which will match all the other units in the complex and the trim, and provide more contrast with the wall.

So here are my thoughts on the security door to make it look better for the time being (with hopes of replacing it when budget allows in a year or so)

1. paint the security door black, which may make it appear more transparent

2. paint the security door green to match the front door

3. paint the frame and main crossbars of the security door black and the "panes" (semi-tranparent parts) green to match the front door. I thought this might make it look softer...

Here is the current door, with the front door and security door all painted same color as the surrounding walls. In this photo the front door is open, to show how the security door is only semi-transparent (it lets air through).

{{!gwi}}

Here's a crude mockup of what it might look like with both doors painted green

{{!gwi}}

and with the front door green and the security door trim black, semi-transparent "panes" green

{{!gwi}}

ANd finally, with the front door green and the security door black (this is my estimate of how much green would show through the security door but of course it would look more like some green showing through a grid rather than exactly like this)

{{!gwi}}

Any other suggestions?

Comments (21)

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

I kind of like your 2nd and 3rd pics. It has sort of an asian feel. Here's one with only the security door painted black so it looks more like a shoji door.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am not sure that an asian look would be suitable, since the building style is mission/spanish with a red tile roof and cream stucco.

• Related Discussions

Which color should I do for my front door and shutters!

Q

Comments (4)
    I would do the shutters in the same color as the flooring on the porch, to create a nice visual connection and flow. As for the door, I would think something in a really rich, deep golden yellow would be stunning, and would make the door really stand out to visitors. Something along the lines of SW6677 Goldenrod.
    ...See More

What color should I paint front door.

Q

Comments (3)
    It's a corner house and technically the doors are on the side of house along with garage door... The first pic shows the one we need to paint under porch. Second shows the "side door" which is the one we go in and out of all the time. The last pic shows the "front" of house.
    ...See More

I am so horrible at this... What color should I paint my front door?

Q

Comments (20)
    Like the pergola over the garage door idea. If built to be sturdy enough to walk on it, then it could serve as a fire escape route should the need ever arise -- certainly hope it never does. You might also consider painting your step rails and side supports the same color as your siding unless you're planning to have a wood finish door and/or a rustic porch and post addition over the entry at a later date, in which case you'd want those additions to have the same wood finish. (Might apply to any pergola over the garage as well.) https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=images+rustic+porch+and+post+entry&qpvt=images+rustic+porch+and+post+entry&FORM=IGRE
    ...See More

What color should I paint my front door?

Q

Comments (18)
    If you are going to widen the step-up, consider installing decking all the way across the porch level with the step. That would be fun. A little more maintenance, and you would have to see how it hits the bottom of the rails. You might be able to remove the rails, or if you like them, add rails to meet the step, then you may not have to widen it or install decking. (Posts likely need to stay.) Regarding deliveries, I have found that some delivery people rarely step all the way into the porch if they don’t have to. Think about where they typically leave packages near your door. You may not need to widen the step for them. Ha! Fedex just delivered a big box. They used the first 2 of the 4 steps up to my porch. That way, they didn’t have to bend over as much.
    ...See More
  • Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should add.. thanks for the insight that the black outline may lend an asian touch, I had not thought of that.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

So the cream colored door with muntins is both a screen door and a security door, both desirable functions, yes? And there are only three colors you can use?

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Exactly - it is known as a "security screen door". However it's not as transparent as an actual screen door, since it's perforated metal rather than screen material. The one I want to replace it with has regular screen material but has security bars integrated in an attractive way.

Since it will be expensive to replace, I hope that a little paint may make it look more bearable for the near term :)

Yes I am limited to the Mallard (green), Oyster (cream) and black, unless I get special HOA permission - so I'm just trying to picture the most attractive configuration of those colors!

Also the light fixture is going to be fixed, the urns are straightened, and the naked garden on the left is now planted too. It was labor day, after all!

FWIW here is an equally crude mockup of how both door colors would look with the new security screen door I'd like to get (keep in mind the cream blends better with my poor cutout job from the white background image so try to look past the jagged white shadows in the green version)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I think I like it with a green door and black security door best.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Hmm, I like the grid better then the scroll, and I don't think I like the contrast too much. I think, if it were me, id keep it like it is!

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mtnrdredux, even the colors? It looks so blah to me all beige! I thought the scroll looks less like a "security" door.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

The scroll seems kind of ... outdated to me? And although i am only looking at part of your home, it seems too elaborate for the context.

Since the grid in a contrasting color looks, i agree, Asian, and since you can only use three colors, i am left choosing between an all dark green, all black or all beige door.

I choose beige, since the other colors recede and are less welcoming. Maybe shiny black door hardware or some other accessory in black ...?

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I like the grid, too. And the color as-is. How about a larger doormat that fills the space more completely -- maybe black with some ornamentation? When your trees fill in and grow taller, they'll really add to the appeal of your entry, too.

If you're eager for a quick change, investing in some larger trees and transplanting the current ones to a different spot might be worth it. You might even consider painting the pots a different color. Or not!

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a pic from further back, photo also taken before the left hand side of the walkway was planted but the left side looks similar to the right now.

I agree the bay laurel topiaries look too scant as is, there are lobelia and rosemary in the urns too but I think I need another plant for in-between height color.

{{!gwi}}

the door just blends with the wall, so I thought green might look more inviting. Maybe just painting the trim, not the grid?

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I like the green-on-green best. The current color is very bland against the color of your walls, and the black security door might be too busy. I also like the current door better than the replacement you are thinking of getting, and agree that the replacement's style is very dated.

When you replace the light by the front door, make sure to get something low-profile, so the security door doesn't bash into it.

• geokid
    11 years ago

I wonder how a black door would look? I'm not good at photoshop otherwise I would try it and see. I'd try it with a black security door, a green security door, and an oyster security door.

I think all black would look very sophisticated and would be a great background for greenery and different door mats.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well as for dated, this place was built in 1980 in the Spanish Mission style popular in California. It's a historical look, done with typical 1980's lack of attention to detail. For example the light fixtures are hideous and not at all "spanish mission". But I think trying to stay consistent with the intended style would look best - and "real" Spanish Mission homes have usually natural very heavy wood doors with or without iron grates, often ornate. Even window bars are common as a decorative element not for security. So I'm not really trying to update or modernize the place!

Obviously this would look too grandiose for our modest townhouse, but this is the style the builders were going for.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This one is more similar in scale and feel

Maybe all black would work I was afraid it would look too stark. Here is a mockup of all black - of course there would be features visible and shadows/reflections etc so this is not a great mockup.

{{!gwi}}

Here are some pictures I took just now from back near the gate- early evening sun was glaring in making the lighting difficult for pictures since I only know how to point and shoot, LOL! But it really illustrates how the door disappears as is.

{{!gwi}}

here is the same pic with the door black

{{!gwi}}

and green - it's hard to photoshop the correct green because it looks different in all lights. I just cloned the color from the trim. It's basically a forest green with blue undertones.

{{!gwi}}

You can see the other plants in the urns a bit better from this angle. Of course the plants are all brand new and will grow much bigger and fuller. I am looking for some wall mounted planters for the open spaces, too.

{{gwi:552337}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

now that you photoshopped it and we can see the context,i think keeping it beige makes it seem secondary to your balcony

my vote is

1. green door
    2 green paned security/screen door
    3 black door knob
    4 beef up the urns

I think the changes you are making are great

• teacats
    11 years ago

Another vote for green-on-green!

Love your new gardens -- all of your hard work has really paid off! :)

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I think the second photo showing the balcony does make it much more clear, green appears to be the best choice. I'll start with green on green, hoping the security door will blend in to the front door most that way.

The gardens make me happy to look at each morning, the plants will all grow a lot in the next year so it will look fuller by next summer, I know they look a bit sparse now.

The urns were on sale and were the type I wanted, I guess I can look for bigger ones and move these to the back patio, I was concerned that they would take up too much of the entryway but then I found the round pavers and placed them in the garden bed (initial plan was on the path in front of the door area) so I could in fact fit bigger ones now.... I don't want anything too colorful because I don't want to compete with the door, but perhaps the matching beige blends in too much? I like a natural stone look, the other colors they had didn't appear to go well (more greyish). Would a terra cotta color like the lemon tree pot look best do you think?

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked at some more security doors this past weekend, and found one I like better, for a very reasonable price! Once reason I want to replace the existing door is that in person it's a bit banged up looking, and it also has a perforated metal "screen", whereas this new one has a metal mesh more like a regular screen - so it will let in more air and appear a bit more transparent.

The potential new door comes in white black or "copper" which is really more brown than copper in person. They do not recommend painting the powder-coated door.

Here are some photoshops with the new choice, I think this style looks a bit softer/less institutional than the existing door but also a bit less "dated".

New black door with existing cream front door
    {{!gwi}}

New black door with green door (I can't get the shade to look right)

{{!gwi}}

New copper door with existing cream front door (note that in person it looks mostly brown not like real copper as this image appears)

{{!gwi}}

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Really like the new door (black) and green is my vote. The last old green door you showed is an old speak easy door. Have one like it, waiting in the garage for someone to help me install it. For some reason they "speak" to me.

I also have security doors like yours. Put them in originally so the dogs didn't tear up screens. But what is great about them is anyone outside can't see in, even you at the door. Although security wise, if someone really wanted to, they really aren't any harder to get through than any other door.A couple of years ago I changed the front to a really nice storm door. Although it looks great, I miss the privacy.

Thanks Tinan for keeping us up to date on your changes. It is nice to read and see what others have done. Love the garden and it will be beautiful when filled out. If you still want more color, Echinacea is xeriscape and available in many bright reds, yellows.

• Tmnca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I love that green "speakeasy" door, some day if I have a real house rather than townhouse and can do what I want, I may have one!

Of course it would look better without a security door at all - but we don't have it for security really just so we can have a breeze but not worry about the cats scratching their way out the screen, and regular screen doors usually don't look much better. With a rectangular townhouse with only windows at the front and back, having that open for ventilation makes a huge difference in the amount of fresh air.

Oh yes echinachea/coneflower I have in the back garden, it tends to wilt a bit faster than the other plants but I may add some in up front too - there will be more space once the basil is done - 2 enormous basil plants, we have frozen tons, made pesto etc and still have giant basil plants.

I also plan to add some wall planters and a window box under the kitchen window, so there will be more color there too!

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I would do the green but the security door - I would only do the main frame work. Leave the grids white or cream as they are and see how that looks. IF it doesn't like QR then paint the grids to match.
    Most of my neighbors have a screen/glass door over thier main doors and the ones that look best are the ones where the paint color on both doors match.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz