SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

new Rug(s) arrived - what do you think?

tinker_2006
11 years ago

For the sunroom/office - here is the tread that was discussed.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0920310425963.html?26

I did a complete 360 degree turn where I was heading (solid distressed gray) went with the majority vote. I like the rug, but it is more muted the the picture - maybe that's okay. What do you think?

From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover

and .. for my living room, I have a new rug. I don't love, love it... but I've been looking for MONTHS now. I ordered on online, it arrived.. it was perfect, prefect, perfect - except it was 5" wider on one end! I would have kept for an inch or two - but 5 was too much. I DO like the lighter toned rugs, but does this look TOO LIGHT?

From Sideboard Makeover

Comments (80)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I moved it.. and it didn't change the look that much. I do have a small area jute or sisal (nut sure which it is) which I laid down so that you can see the comparison of colors. The rug is mush lighter/ivory. what do you think?

From Sideboard Makeover
    From Sideboard Makeover

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

I'm liking the sisal but then again I'm the one that like the solid gray!

• Related Discussions

What do you think of Mr. Toll 's vision?

Q

Comments (15)
    I think you guys are doing some funny math or you have absolutely horrible tax preparers. I am not going to put my income out, but I will say that it is such that I have almost 1/2 my itemized deductions wiped out and all my exemptions have been phased out. When I include federal taxes + fica I come out to 31.5%. If I had a state income tax to pay, say 7%, it would only take it to 37% (assuming I can deduct 1/2 of 7% and also using a flat 7% which most states are progressive, so the amount would be less in real life). Even if my income doubled and I had the same state tax, I would be at only 41%. As for Mr. Tolls vision, he is only trying to make the case for governments to lessen the building and zoning restrictions that he sees as roadblocks to Toll Brothers success. No local government wants to see its people spending +50% of their income on housing. Toll wants to build houses, lots of houses and wants to eliminate or shift as much development costs as he can to make better profits, which is his duty to shareholders.
    ...See More

What do you think about this rug?

Q

Comments (24)
    Previously I had a large sisal rug there with a small monogram doormat on top. It was nothing special and pretty plain. This would be a major change lol. Neither of us want sisal again it's too painful to walk on barefoot and Mia did not like to walk on it. Nicole I have one very similar to the last one for the rv patio area. I am still looking. But I am very surprised that my husband liked the colorful one. Thanks! I want your real opinion and I appreciate it. I have not ordered much from seventh Ave so thank you for your comments that's good to hear.
    ...See More

Tell me what you think of my new rug...

Q

Comments (64)
    oh I just shared several feathers in a different thread. They're pretty big (since it's neverending "greedy bastard Friday"(c, Laurel Bern), and the site sent me email with a promotion notification-they have 20% site wide. but no frames. on the other hand one can choose warmer frame https://www.leifshop.com/collections/art/products/feather-study-13-print https://www.leifshop.com/collections/art/products/feather-study-14-print https://www.leifshop.com/collections/art/products/feather-study-14-print I really love their vintage pressed flowers I must say. but these are much smaller and more expensive. but beautiful. special.. like this one https://www.leifshop.com/collections/art/products/vintage-pressed-flower-plate-dovefoot-cranesbill
    ...See More

I need a new rug! What do you think?

Q

Comments (59)
    I'm crazy about how this gold looked with your walls - are they showing at all green? does art have a bit of yellow/gold? The ivory seemed in the rug also, and a brightener, and neutral. https://www.pier1.com/chunky-jute-trimmed-ivory-pillow/3189282.html#ct-cross-sell
    ...See More
  • User
    11 years ago

I haven't chimed in before but will offer my .02. The solids diminish the look of the chairs and the floor. All you see is the rug...not what you had in mind I am sure. The patterned rug flatters the whole and gives the room a cohesive charming look. I vote for keeping it as is.

As to the light/dark side of rugs. I have a house full of hand-knotted Persian rugs. All hand-knotted rugs have a light/dark side. It is what distinguishes them from machine made. I turn mine depending on the season...yep...dark side facing the entrance to the room in the winter and light side in the warmer months. It is amazing the difference in feel that it gives. Also evens out the wear and tear on the rug.

Tinker your renovation of your home has been a miracle of ingenuity and creative touches and hard work. Just lovely. I hope to see a lot more pics of the pool...I am a swimmer and can't imagine being inside with that pool out there awaiting me each AM :) c

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

trailrunner thank you! Here is the shocking news.. I have never been in the pool! Crazy I know... maybe today I should give it a try!

• User
    11 years ago

Oh..well...send your address and I will be there in a heartbeat :) I swim 1 1/2 miles every day. My pool liner went kaput after 12 years so am w/o a place to swim for 2 more weeks :(

Please do take more pics of the pool area and let me enjoy it vicariously. You have done the most amazing job on your lovely home. c

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

First, Tinker, is has been so much fun to watch you transform your house. I think I remember seeing photos from before you closed on it! It looks so lovely. You have done a great job. I love the soothing simple casual feel of it.

The LR rug is very nice. Like you, I don't love love it. But it works very well in the room and is pleasant. Rugs are so hard IMHO, so if it works, find other things you love for the room and let the rug be.

As for the sunroom, this is very similar to a question posted the other day about curtains and rug. When mixing patterns, the easiest thing to do is to keep in the same color family, and change the scale of the pattern and/or change between something linear (striped, checks, trellis) to something nonlinear (floral, ikat, toile etc).

If you look at Calico Corners, on their home page you will see several examples of mixing patterns automatically scroll over the page. I think it makes very clear the rules people usually follow.

THAT SAID ... When I gave this advice about mixing patterns the other day, I almost hesitated. Because, even though it works pretty well and is tried and true, I myself do not like it. To me, it is a little like paint-by-numbers, a little gimmicky. It is too formulaic.

So, while it is a good rule of thumb, I kind of think of it as "mixing patterns for beginners". (Note - i am a beginner!). I think a professional, like Pal, would be able to mix patterns in a less predictable but still very pleasing way.

Even so, your chairs are wonderful, and the sunroom rug is only okay. I would not give up. If it were an heirloom or an antique worn in one corner, I would like it better. But to me it is a mass produced rug that is nice but doesn't really highlight the chairs. So it does not work perfectly on an aesthetic level, but does not have the history or character or story to carry it on another level.
    So it fails the room IMHO.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

I haven't read the other posts, but heres my 2cents, I don't think the rug in the sunroom works. The chairs look like they have a grey undertone, and the rug looks like a yellow undertone. I don't think they do anything for each other. Of the additional rugs you posted I like #3, it gives it some soft contrast. I like the sisal as well, it adds some nice texture. Shipping rugs is expensive, but better than living with something you never really like.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think the sisal or the solid you liked would look good, too, and there is the issue of paying $$$ for a rug that you don't love.

I tend to like certain things on the eccentric side, and this is a bit easier when it is something you already have. I also tend to like things that don't always look so great together, but this is a real tightrope. There is a fairly busy decorator here whose rooms try so hard to look accumulated and eccentric that they end up looking like she used a dartboard (try kelly green drapes with purple ruffles in a room with traditional furniture and no other purple or bright green to be seen...yep). I think this is getting into emperor's new clothes territory-she's expensive so it must be good.

Formulas become formulas because they work and they give pleasing results.
    Sometimes, I think I steer away from formulas because at some point it dictates what else you can do, and this becomes a problem when certain colors or patterns aren't readily available anymore.

So even though I like the rug enough, there are probably better fits out there.

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

Not knowing what your aesthetic is, this may be way off base but have you considered having a piece of carpet cut and bound? There are so many options including soft sisal "look" carpet available in many colors. Just a thought...

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

tinker, is that sisal the natural fiber, wool or a blend? did it come in other shades? I really like the look in the sunroom and it makes the chairs and anything else you might add stand out.

http://www.sisalrugs.com/media/rugs/colors/serged_nylon_smoke_783.png

Here is a link that might be useful: Sisal rugs

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Tinker, if you are not happy with the rug, don't settle, because if you are like me, you will not be happy with it. Send it back or use it in another room. The rug is lovely. I'd like to see something with a bit more contrast to those beautiful chairs. I think the first and last yellow rugs are great! They look soft/muted. Perhaps someone here could photoshop one in your room? I also like the sisal.

I like the living room rug but I would use some contrasting (vs.matching) pillows on the sofa and pull out colors from the rug.

tina

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Although I agree with Palimpsest that mixed patterns can be rich and interesting, I don't think you can stop at two, particularly when they are so much alike.

If you were going to layer in lively curtains, and load the walls up with pictures, and have a collection of something on a tabletop, you might get away with it, but that's a very serene room, and I'm afraid I still think it looks like you just had the rug, so you used it.

I like the sisal, but I think it would need at least a slender black or dark brown border to define it. I like the stripe, but would like it better if it were either the same kind of not-green blue of the chair blue, or a khaki or golden tan.

You could also have a fat blue or gold or dark brown canvas border added to a sisal rug, or have a bordered rug made from remnants. In a room like that one, sticking to an edited palette would keep it serene.

• sheesh
    11 years ago

The sisal is too harsh for that room, and the rug is just wrong. If it was right, there would be no discussion about it, no trying to fix things to tie it in. Keep trying. The chairs are fabulous, and the living room looks fine.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

The rug looks fine to me, even though it doesn't "match" exactly. The pattern scale thing doesn't bother me because the pattern in the rug is so faint. Right now it's easy to focus on individual elements because it's all brand new.

I do like the sisal, though I'm repeating myself since I mentioned a wool sisal-look on your earlier thread (I think). There are color variations available in those sisal looks, so you could try a few and find one that's especially good with your chair fabric; and options for binding, if you want some contrast. The sisal imparts a porch-y feel to me in this kind of setting. It seems a little less formal (to me). Maybe that's what you're after; maybe it's not! I wouldn't do a solid blue or grey rug in there.

And adding to the chorus, I love seeing your house and watching you transform it. I can't believe the speed with which you're making this house a jewel. No wonder you have no time for swimming!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help (I think!! lol)

I have spent the last few hours are area rug stores.. looking through piles and piles of hand knotted rugs. What I have realized, is this rug I have is very, very muted compared to ALL the rugs I viewed today. All the patterns are much stronger and have more color. I brought a big swatch of fabric with me.. and I didn't find ANYTHING (other than a plain white wool rug) that I thought looked good.

The rug is growing on me - especially after looking at so many others today. It's so muted, it doesn't compete with the chairs IMO.

So, I'm either going to keep it, get the platinum or go with a faded cream (which has no blue in it). I agree with lazydaisy, the sisal to me feels more porch-y to me. I want casual, but with a taste of vintage since the house is 75 yr old.

have to say THANK YOU to all of you again, because this house has been a major work in progress, but all of you have helped me every step of the way! It's wonderful to be able to bounce ideas and thoughts off each other, and many things I would have never thought of! {{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I really love this one! Right tone and very muted.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess I can't help myself.. still looking!

I do think pipdog has a good eye, think the west elm would look good, and this one (I forget what site!).. but it is very out of my comfort zone - but I like it too. {{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30

this too - not very "vintage"
    {{!gwi}}From 2012-06-30

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and "THE RUG" at night.. I don't know.. it doesn't look that bad to me!

From Sideboard Makeover

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

It doesn't look "bad", but is that your standard?

I think you are still mixing two very similar patterns (eg the blue one above).

I like the yellow one but I can't tell the scale. And i think it is a dhurrie, which is thin ... just be mindful of that.

If they have it, order a small one, 2x3, on trial.

BTW I think rug shopping is very hard!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Not a fan of the sisal at all....too rustic for the soft mood of the room.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Seagrass is rustic. Sisal, especially a fine wool sisal, can be quite formal.

• jodokus
    11 years ago

I like it just the way you have it. I don't see the patterns as fighting each other. Instead, it reminds me of old homes where they mixed different patterns and it all melds together nicely.

It's a really, really lovely rug!

Also, the photos don't give the dimension that seeing it in person does. I'm sure it looks beautiful.

Main thing is, what do YOU like. It's your home. If you like it, go for it. If nothing else, sit on it a while and see how you feel.

Best wishes!

• User
    11 years ago

I don't have a problem with muted rugs or rooms without "pops" of strong color (and how tired I am of that phrase, anyway!). Maybe it is my iPad, but both rugs look very beigey-brown and not at all like the cream/white/ blue/ yellow /gray of the sunroom or the muted/ natural palette of the LR. Neither rug looks great in either room, but I certainly understand your reluctance to return them and the urgency of wanting things finally done! I am trying personally not to let "perfect" be my own yardstick for every single element in every room. For some features, good is good enough. But "acceptable" is a long way from good, and with all the time you've spent on your project I think acceptable is not good enough for you. If you love them, keep them. But if you don't, I would look for a nice wool sisal for the LR and continue looking for the right pattern/color for the sunroom.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

The thing that doesn't look right to me is the white bookcase opposite the chairs. I think it would balance the room better if it were painted the blue or yellow of the chair. Otherwise, I think the rug looks fine.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think the sunroom rug works "okay". Maybe not prefect... but through all my researching, and this thread...I can't find perfect! A few like the solid platinum, most don't. A few like the sisal, most don't. A few like the stripes, a few like the gold, and a few seem to think this rug is just fine! I could go on and on searching, but I'm not sure if I'll find a "perfect" rug that everyone thinks looks good. I really think the tile floor is part of the issue, it's distracting (and why I thought I'd go with the flow and use a platinum rug). I can't change the tile floor, I can't change the chairs so those 2 things I HAVE to work with.

This rug is a hand-knotted rug, the colors do change! AT times it looks more beige, other times, golden, and others cream. Looking at all the rugs yesterday, it is not a dark beige like many of them.

The Living Room - I like the rug, it's nice enough... but I'm still looking for a couple more days (I have been looking for MONTHS) so not sure if I'll end up returning. I don't know many people that will actually come in and stare at the rug, so maybe I'm over-thinking this whole thing (I've been known to do that!)

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

First of all I love the rug and the scale doesn't bother me. I think the background colors of the chair and rug is what is off.

In your first pictures, the white background of the chairs shows up kind of stark against the slightly beige/tan background of the rug.

The picture you posted last night looks much better - the chair looks more ivory. Now IRL, I'm sure the background of the chair is white. I earlier suggested throw pillows picking up the tannish/yellow of the flower in the chair to tie it to the tannish color in the rug. I still think that will help. Even try draping a throw casually across the back of one of the chairs. Not bright yellow, not dull tan, but yellow-tan. Do you have a piece of fabric or clothing or anything to try?

I tend to agree with Karlene in that the white shelf is throwing the look off. Would you consider painting it. Whites look so awesome in your home, but this rugs seems to be begging for some earthy tones. How about some magic with AS paint?

Tuesday

• busybee3
    11 years ago

re: your 'doesn't look that bad' comment with the night photo..... i say that alot of times if i think i got a really great price on something- clearanced down 65% or more- looks fine!!

the rug doesn't look bad! but, it's not the best choice imo. if it was a pricey rug, i'd want it right. if it was a great deal(which i don't think was the case), i'd be fine with it!
    and, so much of what 'looks good' is subjective- there's no right answer, so you're getting lots of different opinions here!
    i'm currently redoing some flooring and rugs in our house and i have been back and forth bringing home samples sooo much---so many choices-not easy!!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I think the pale one you posted Wednesday at 19:00 is perfect.
    The pattern is there, but it doesn't compete with your pretty chairs, and the tone seems just right.

So one big vote for that one. Can I stuff the ballot box...?

• mdrive
    11 years ago

i'm having the same dilemma right now....only in my case picking a rug from 'scratch'....can be very daunting...

i tend to agree with the poster who wrote the problem is with the background colors on the chairs (which are beautiful) and the rug...

personally, i think more contrast is needed...something to make the background of the chairs stand out more against the rug....maybe something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: medium background rug (blue)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OCD.. yup, I have it. Can't stop looking at rugs - so I'm still trying!

bronwynsmom, gulp, I didn't pay attention to the price of that rug - $3500 plus shipping. I'd spend that in the living room, but I don't want to spend that in the office/sunroom.

What about a pure solid cream rug? I bought one on ebay (it's a pottery barn rug) and I put it in the guest bedroom, but it looked blah to me, so I'm returning it. It's rewrapped, at DH's office and ready to ship when the person tells me where to ship it. Should I call him and tell him to bring it back?

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

color may be way off but here's a wool stripe from Karastan

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow stripe

• chispa
    11 years ago

I have a nearby rug shop that is excellent. They bring the 9x12 sizes to my house for testing. They will also take any inspiratiopn photos I have and try to source/match at their warehouse or other suppliers. Do you have a good rug shop like this? It makes a big difference.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I'm thinking that a pale yellow rug might be just the thing that works.. What does anyone think about a pale yellow shag?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hold on.. I'm doing some photoshopping!

chispa, we do have a store nearby, but their prices are just too high and they won't deal! I've purchased rugs for several years from a place in NJ - they are great about returns (but I pay!!) . The prices are GREAT for hand knotted rugs. I'm sure they are not top, top of the line because they would cost me a lot more! This rug, was discounted to $1100... which is pretty good!

check back soon - I'll be posting rugs within the room!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Back.. these mock up I think will help. First I want to start with a close up of the rug, and than I took a piece of scrap fabric and a new white curtain so you can really get the idea of the color of these chairs. They look like a white background, but in realty - it is a cream/off white. This room is sooooo bright with full glass windows on 2 sides.

From Sideboard Makeover
    From Sideboard Makeover

The "Gold" in the fabric looks green, but it is a beige-y /greenish gold.

From Sideboard Makeover

here it is with the flash - a little more true to color.

From Sideboard Makeover

Here it is with a gold tee shirt pillow! It's hard to get the right light, but these are pretty close.

From Sideboard Makeover
    From Sideboard Makeover

okay - now the photoshop pictures!

The vintage gray (I still think this looks okay as well). What I think I like about this is the tile blends in.

From Sideboard Makeover

yellow striped

From Sideboard Makeover

cream

From Sideboard Makeover

• busybee3
    11 years ago

still would choose the gray!...tho i thought the original gray you posted was closer to your floor color-i liked that best out of what you've shown...

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

busybee, I think the gray is darker, my photoshop editing is not exact.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I like the rug you have the best, especially with the yellow pillow. Maybe put something with the blue in the room, too.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

Here's my 2 cent's worth, tinker!! For me, your existing rug is too similar a pattern "design" to your chairs, plus I think the colors are fighting each other a bit. I'm not crazy about the photo shopped yellow stripe...feels contemporary but your chairs seem not that contemporary...maybe too "rigid" in design? I really like the grey vintage because it blends with your floors more & lets the chairs be the star, but I also like the cream. However, the grey is my fav. of these.

Seems like you like some softness and curves in your decorating (so do I), so maybe that's why I like the vintage grey.

Rugs are VERY hard for me to pick out. I need one in our little tv room adjoining the kitchen & have none now, because I can't decide on what I want!!

• User
    11 years ago

I really like the vintage gray..try it with the yellow pillow ...other than that the one you have would be the next best.

As another thought..have you thought of using your painting /waxing talents on the white bookcase ? It needs to be something other than that plain white. I know you need more to do :) c

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Yeah!! Love the yellow t-shirt (oops! pillow). Now add something (I don't know what) to the white bookshelf. Just a few "shade of color" is bringing it together.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great! getting somewhere! All those pictures.. and the bookcase, I just bout it at HomeGoods, cheap - I'm very open to painting it (once I finish the rest of he rooms!!) lol

Once I added the yellow T-shirt pillow, I knew I bought the wrong pillow material with the striped fabric.

lizzie, yes - I'm a muted kinda girl! lol

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I typed a response last night by DD borrowed my computer and I forgot to post.:(

The rug you have looks good. It doesn't have to stand on its own; it's part of a whole.

I am like you (I think). I don't like any one item in my home to stand out, or things to look too decorated and deliberate. I like the yellow rugs for your chairs, but they may be just a tad too much "on the nose." I liked wool sisal for your room, but I love texture.

I like everything to meld together to create a calm, comfortable whole. I want people to say "I love this room", not "I love that rug". To me, the later speaks to the luck of a purchase, the former speaks to my ability to create an atmosphere.

To me, the addition of the yellow tee-shirt pillow cinched it. But, I agree, the little shelf needs work to fit in.

You have good instincts; trust them.

Dee

• kevinmark
    9 years ago

I also agree with Pipdog to some extent. The color of rug is getting lost in the outside light which engulfs the room. However the meandering vines patterns and traditional designs are okay to me.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Love the soft color of the rug in the room with the sofas, but now the coffee table really seems too dark for the rest of the room. A softer finish might work better. Also maybe a pad under the rug.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Wow, when you remove the rug and put a mostly solid type of area rug, it really makes those chairs look great. Don't do as I have done, keep things just because it's easier and cheaper at the time. In the long run, it's better to get it right and feel really good about it than to keep something that you don't feel completely settled on and end up changing out in the future or just forever not really liking it. I want to love things I have to live with. I sympathize, it's hard trying to make things work when you have things already in place to work around and with today's offerings being what they are. I could agree with the idea of the lived in look of fine antique thread bare and lovely old carpets from around the world, but if your whole house isn't like that, I can't really get onboard with that...unless of course it's Sister Parish's house.

• amykath
    9 years ago

If you do in fact want to keep the rug (which is beautiful). I would break up the sea of muted colors with maybe an ottoman for one chair or something like this? This may be something you do not care for, but it gives an idea.

• User
    9 years ago

Another thread from 2012, folks. These threads are popping up like drowned bodies coming to the surface.......weird.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Oops Kswl. I did not even notice the date! I will start looking closer before I reply. I feel like a moron.