SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
btheis

New Washer/Dryer Wiring

Bruce T
15 years ago

Hi Folks!

Greetings from the FROZEN Pacific Northwest. Currently its about 24 here in Olympia and will be going down to the single digits overnight. New storm coming in tomorrow afternoon/night. Another 8-12 inches of snow expected on top of what we received over the last 3 days. It's UGLY.

I need your advice on some wiring issues in my master bath regarding a new washer/dryer purchased on Black Friday from Sears. (It was an excellent deal... but maybe the cost of the electrical wont make it so).

Currently we have a Whirlpool "Thin Twin" one piece stacked unit(electric dryer on top, washer below ) located in a niche in our master bathroom. We bought the home over 10 years ago and our best guess is that this combo unit is 12-14 years old as it came with the house.

The electrical to this unit is on a dedicated 30 amp circuit with a L30 plug which supplies power to both the washer and dryer.

Our new washer and dryer are the High Efficiency water saver and energy saver units. They are "stackable" and will fit easily into the niche in our bathroom. However, they are two separate units.

My problem is that the "niche" has only a 30amp plug. Fine for the Dryer, but ther is no outlet to plug in the washer.

Here is the question - Is it possible for an electrician to "tap" into the 30 amp circuit and create an outlet for the washer.

Happy Holidays to you all and I look forward to your responses.

p.s I assume the current dryer and new dryer are 240. I know the new washer is 120.

Comments (7)