SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fixizin

HEIGHT & anchoring of stand-alone outdoor device boxes+receps

fixizin
15 years ago

I'm installing 2 single-gang PVC water-tight boxes for GFCI-protected receptacles, free-standing, out in the middle of the yard. Got my spendy and very BULBOUS in-use covers and everything. Already buried my 3/4" Sched 40 PVC 24" deep (add in topsoil, or road bedding and pavers, and it's probably 28-30" deep by now).

First box will have the GFCI, and feed the second box. Thus, at the first site I have 2 PVC stubs rising up from the ground, and of course just 1 stub-out at the second box site.

1) I find NOTHING in Mullins or the NEC about the HEIGHT ABOVE GROUND for such outlet/boxes... what's the word/best practice here?

2) Per Mullins, the 2 conduit risers alone ARE indeed adequate mechanical support for the first box, but, due to the potential for twisting/torsion, the box with only 1 conduit must be mounted to some additional support, staked into the ground... what is the TRADE NAME for the modular, metal "swiss cheese" system that performs this function?... IOW, how do the PROS do it?

3) The type of landscaping these boxes are presently sited in means no danger from weed-whackers, but should this change, would the Sched 40 PVC risers need to be SLEEVED, and with what? Should I do it now, before I glue/weld the boxes on, or is there something of a split/wraparound design which can be added later?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)