SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowbanana

Cordyline Australis as a cheap, fast and easy palm

snowbanana
9 years ago

The Northern tropicalesque gardener has a dilemma, in our climate Zone 5 and colder palm trees really can't stay in the ground and get BIG without serious protection-often involving strings of lights, heat tape and rigid stand alone protective structures...

Sheesh, that's alotta of work, what about the so called Cabbage palm aka Cordyline Australis? They can be vigorous growers in the right conditions. I ran across some nurserys in the UK that sell them in sizes up to 2m, I think they look awesome. You mostly see the green ones but I have seen some nice large red examples too. I know you can over winter them outdoors with protection in my zone but you should NEVER TRY THIS, as they may survive but you are likely to loose the trunk and it will take way to long to recover. The obvious and easy solution is to pot them up and leave them in a garage basement or sun room for the winter, just make sure they don't dehydrate, by keeping the temperature cool they will go dormant.You can keep them growing easily near a window like I am this year. The moral of the story is: 3 years from a cheap little green spike to a 5 foot palm with a nice prominent trunk. Total cost a couple a bucks.

I'm curious if anyone over on this side of the pond has any nice older cordyline astralis specimens they would care to show or tell us about?

The one in the pic is just one growing season old, it was bought in the spring for 2 bucks.

Here is a link to a grower in the UK.

Regards Harold

Here is a link that might be useful: Paramount Plants

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus