SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baltra_gw

Tweaking layout: uppers and dining space of open galley

BalTra
11 years ago

Dear GW folks -

This post is long; I'll say I'm sorry and thank you now!

I'm ready to move a little further along in my remodel. Decision fatigue, finances, and the difficulty of dealing with workmen got to me and I put things on hold for the last several months. Happy to have my plywood countertops and IKEA cabinet boxes! And my appliances in place.

I received so many fantastic ideas thus far from you all. I've been sitting on these ideas, hanging out here to read and learn and salivate . . . and better understand why I like what I like.

I'll return in a different post to ask some design element questions (cabinets in white, or naked wood?; backsplash?) (counters will be soapstone - yum), but here I'd like to ask about layout.

Quickly, I live in a 1940 brick rowhome. Modest neighborhood, basic home. Kitchen was a closed-in galley with four doors. Now an open galley to DR with peninsula, door to backyard, and door to basement. Frig is recessed through one of the former doorways.

Initially I did not have any uppers at all. Love the wide open look. Fresh and full of light. Turns out I do need more storage. Not a lot. I strive for minimalism. Presently have three horizontal uppers stacked in a less than attractive triangle. Love the function, but the look is wrong.

The wall is tricky. Measurements and photo below. But because I have the basement door clearance, sink, cooktop, and a strange 12" gap between the end of cabs and backdoor/window I'm failing to see an attractive layout for the uppers.

The height of the counters (standard) is a bit higher than the window sill (30" from the floor).

Restrictions and preferences:

lower layout is fixed.

Cannot make any structural changes at this point.

Haven't yet chosen hood for induction cooktop.

IKEA cabs, can use ikea or scherr's fronts.

Style is simple, clean and sleek but not too too modern.

Prefer the look of cabs to ceiling.

Don't like the look of cabinets where the lower line goes up and down across the run of cabs where space is made for the user's head over sink.

Storage/ location issues:

Microwave

Toaster oven

Coffee area

Pantry

Pantry is currently open shelves on partial wall next to back door. Almost enough room.

The hoosier I have I love. Wondering though whether floor to ceiling cabs along that wall beside frig might be a good idea? Or upper cabs to ceiling with countertop work space below for coffee, groceries - to - frig, etc.

Dining space:

I have a huge rectangular table right now. Very sturdy, expands to seat 12, closed it seats 6.

Would a round or oval table make more sense? Eventually, when budget permits.

What do you all see as ideal layout for DR space?

I will not have stools at the peninsula - all meals at same table.

Dining room doubles as space for little kiddo to do projects.

Here are the photos!

Measurements:

From GardenWebPics

Kitchen original to the home (sweet, right? I still have the sink - it will eventually be an outdoor one for planting!):

From Original Kitchen

How it looks now

From In Progress Kitchen
From In Progress Kitchen
From In Progress Kitchen
From In Progress Kitchen
From In Progress Kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to previous discussion, if you can stand more info!

Comments (20)