SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cj47_gw

Last call for tweaks on my layout! Questions!

cj47
14 years ago

OK, I took all of the suggestions--and Buehl's Rules and went to town on it. what do you think? Will it work visually and work-wise? The cabinet guy is coming Thursday so I need to nail this down. Some personal things came up and I had to leave it sit for about 4 days unlooked at, but when I returned yesterday I decided I still like it. LOL. I decided to just let the fridge stick out and to not make the counters deeper. I have a lot of work space in this kitchen, I think it'll be OK with them being the standard width. Where I'm still not quite firm are the following:

1. PREP SINK...where would be the best place for it?? I don't really want it over in the seating area--I would like to keep that area clear of obstruction if I can. (Pet peeve, people facing a sink when seated at the island) So should the sink go towards the middle, or right on the end? I can certainly move the garbage pullout if need be, but is that going to be too close to the main cleanup sink? I'm leaning towards right on the end, that way I can be cleaning and chopping while chatting with those seated at the island, and they don't have the sink in their face. I want plenty of room for chopping and getting my stuff in order. (mis en place), but don't want to limit the use of this sink either by putting it too far down.

2. I put in some short cabinets in between the cooktop and the ovens, and the ovens and the fridge. I wondered if I'd need a landing space for the fridge besides directly behind on the island, and I didn't want to have a cramped space next to the cooktop. What do you all think of that? Is there a better configuration, do you think?

3. I don't really have a defined landing spot for the microwave. It's strictly used for warmup here, no cooking and nothing serious. (Unless the potatoes didn't quite get done with the roast, then it might get put into cooking mode!) Is this a mistake, or is the island 'close enough?'

4. Dishwasher Placement: I originally had it on the left, right next to the door, so that unloading could take place out of the work area. But when you walk in the front door, you have a clear view right to the back of the house, and DH thought it might be nice not to have appliances in view. So I moved it to the other side. Do you think it will work OK there? Are 36 inches big enough for dish drawers? I ended up with 18 inch drawers for my spices, so I'm going to put in three drawers just to make sure I have space. (I have 98 jars and some miscellaneous bags and extras)

5. Island Size: I want to avoid a seam in the island if I can, so I made it about 4 1/2 feet wide and very nearly 8 feet long. (Formica 180FX comes in 5 foot widths) Do you think that's too big? Could I even go 6 inches bigger, allowing me a little more space between the prep sink and seating area? Or would that be just too much?

Anything else jump out at you as being wrong, messing with good workflow, visually unappealing, etc. etc. ? Buehl, did I do good? ;-) Rhome, as always, your help has been invaluable. Have at it guys, the cab fella is coming Thursday so I need to finish this up and move on to whether I should put pendants on my cathedral ceiling. (Next post!!)

Thanks,

Cj

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)