SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Take 2; Outdoor DR cushions

MtnRdRedux
8 years ago

Okay, oddly, I really have no photos of this screened porch or the reupholstered pieces.

Here is a poorly done mock-up, but at least its easier to follow.Everything in the room is white or grey, except the frame of the sofa, which is green. The photo of the dining set is similar to one we have.

I like the green, and want to find an outdoor fabric for the DR cushions that works with the Starfish, coral and stripes. Ideas?

Comments (69)

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, coral with grey would be gorgeous. Hmm

• Errant_gw
    8 years ago

I think so, too, but I know you've grown attached to the green wicker. Coral would really pop, though :)

• Related Discussions

Kitchen/sunroom/'nook' layout take 2 (long, pics)

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks, lavender! We don't have a furniture plan, really. It had been a outdoor porch (hence the step down from the rest of the place) that had had the screens replaced by windows. It's heated by an electric baseboard heater that you turn on with a knob on the wall (and then hear $$$ flying out the dozens of windows...). There's a huge sliding glass door from the current DR/new kitchen area, which we pretty much keep closed in the winter, and open in the summer when it is our (my) gardening dumping ground. Making it into a real room is basically adding a whole new room on to the house, and we're not really sure WHAT to do with it. We'll probably put a table and chairs near the bumpout on the long wall, but that leaves a lot of empty space. Because it will be so sunny, I'd like there to be some plants, probably mostly herbs, in there - but again, it leaves a lot of empty space. Thoughts on how to fill it, anyone? :)
    ...See More

Opinions on my outdoor patio cushions (pics) please!

Q

Comments (41)
    punamy--thanks for the close-up and how-to! looks just as good up close as from afar. I'll definitely have to add that to the to-do list. Texashottie, your cushions are even cuter looking at them again! Great looking area and the plants really bring in life there.
    ...See More

Educate me please: cushions on outdoor furniture

Q

Comments (9)
    We use covers I got from Lowes, I don't recall the brand but tend to think it's the Garden Treasures line. Ours are a tan, canvas-like material, elastic sewn in at the bottom + rope ties. I have a glider and rocking chair with cushions. Every evening, or when not in use, we put the covers on and tuck the elastic under the legs of the glider to secure it down in case of wind. For the rocker we loop the rope to the legs to help hold it, the rocker cover is actually for a chair so the fit at the bottom is a little funky. Never had a cover blow off, never had soaked cushions. Sometimes cushions might feel damp due to humidity from rain and in that case exposing to air & sun (while still on the glider or rocker) gets rid of that really fast. I didn't pay a lot, I want to say around $25 for the larger glider cover, a little less for the chair cover. Well worth it, we've been using them for about six or seven years now. I saw in one review someone sprays scotch guard on theirs at the beginning of every season. A good idea that I might do this year simply due to age in order to help boost effectiveness. No rips or tears, even despite a giant pup who likes to sneak a nap on the covered rocker when he thinks no one is watching ;) Here is a link that might be useful: Furniture Covers
    ...See More

After Pic of new outdoor cushions

Q

Comments (19)
    " Your dog thinks she is on the cover of Verandah! Love the colors." And the photo DOES look like the cover of Verandah, or Southern Living, or Garden & Gun. So pretty! Love the blue Hydrangeas. Mine bloomed, drooped and died. :( My pink have done well, however.
    ...See More
  • Errant_gw
    8 years ago

Then the seahorse fabric localeater posted on the dining chairs.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

Faced with white walls & grey floors I would have opted for something with a bit more drama.

Black wicker is very chic.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Beverly, love, love that look ... in fact in my posts about our new carriage house project, that is exactly my theme.

We weren't really faced with white and grey; it was all freshly repainted. But on a cedar shake 1900 coastal home, I think it is the right choice.

We did want to keep the old and somewhat unusual sofa and rockers, because we like patina and even though we redid the house top to bottom we wanted it to feel lived in (but not for people to actually live in it, to be clear, and harkening back to an old thread, LOL). One reason I didn't paint the sofa was because I like the chipped paint (yeah, I am still into that, as long as it's not faux chipped!).

So, for starters, I am going to see if i like anything from the samples. If not I may re-think painting the sofa.

I have a bunch of swatches on the way. Banana leaf is still a contender, but that is also a print I wanted in the carriage house, so maybe not. I also have a crush on this vintage flamingo. I kind of think of both prints as a retro feel that goes with the age of the dining set. But flamingo is no help with the goal of a green tie-in. I could paint the sofa raspberry, LOL!

• User
    8 years ago
    MtnRdRedux thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Check out Fabric Guru for outdoor fabrics also. Very quick shipping.

MtnRdRedux thanked User
  • MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Allison, those are both fab examples of marrying in the green!

• User
    8 years ago

I saw a few on Fabric Guru you might like also, but the two shown are my favorite. I ordered my swinging bed mattress cover from that company but I'm sure you could find the fabric elsewhere if they don't sell by the yard.

• eandhl2
    8 years ago

Love the second picture Allison posted!

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

The leafy print seems too tropical for Maine IMO.

We used to have big green wicker furniture, same exact green, on our porch, and it was tricky to decorate around, so I feel your pain.

I still like the lobsters :)

• beaglesdoitbetter
    8 years ago

How about a plain light grey fabric and get someone to quilt you a flamingo (or a starfish) in green and pink in the center of each seat... Kind of like this, but if the background was the grey color...

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Not a fan of the tropical prints or flamingoes. How about puffins? :)

• the_foxes_pad
    8 years ago

So hard! I like the fabric that My3Dogs posted. I love the green of the wicker and wouldn't change it one bit. I really wouldn't worry about trying to pull a green in per se'. I'd almost let it stand out on it's own. The fabrics that you have chosen are wonderful!

• Kippy
    8 years ago

Since you keep using the grey with stars on the seat, is that the fabric you intend to use on it? I think I would stay in the sea theme since you liked the lobsters. A couple of pillows in the green lobsters could be your fun pop of color. Lots of green glass to use to spread some of that color around and the green is a color of "sea glass". I would probably pick a similar grey tone for the seats of your dinning set and make a runner of the green lobsters. Personally, I would rather use a grey strip for the seat covers and if you really like the stars, use them on the chair backs

• nutsaboutplants
    8 years ago

Here are some cushions with fabric choices you seem to be tending toward.

• nutsaboutplants
    8 years ago

The second one from this last set reverses to a solid green, an option others have suggested.

• teeda
    8 years ago

You could have a design custom stenciled onto cotton duck or canvas. Perhaps a clam shell, seagull, lobster, anchor, or other northeast coast image. Here's a link to an etsy merchant who does custom work: Custom Stencil on Fabric. I'm sure there are others, I found that with a quick search. Or perhaps vintage barkcloth? That's a pretty classic retro porch look, I think.

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

Love the flamingos but maybe too tropical? Love the lobsters but perhaps the green has too much yellow? Your sofa seems to be more of a blueish green. Out of all the fabrics posted, I think I prefer Allison's Twilight Aqua the best.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, all, I am headed up so maybe I will take some photos when I have time.

Hopefully I will get some of my samples in the mail before I go.

A lot will depend on how the scales of the patterns work together, hard to tell from the mockup.

Teeda, the reason I like the banana leaves and the flamingoes are not because they are New England coastal (of course they are not) but because they are so classic 50-s60s outdoor furniture to me, and I think that is the vintage of the furniture. ). I actually came across those prints when I was looking for barkcloth!

• localeater
    8 years ago

Its going to be a gorgeous weekend. 50th Anniversary Yarmouth ClamFest- so excited! http://clamfestival.com/You should bring your kids to the parade Friday night it is a Maine tradition! Although the PSO performance is Saturday so Saturday would be a great day too.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Local, we are up now but this weekend will be busy shuffling kids to and from camp, so we won't make the Clamfest, alas.

Finally some photos of what I already have on this little back screened porch. It has been neglected for the front verandah which faces the ocean. But it's a pleasant spot so I am trying to put on the finishing touches.

The only samples I have gotten so far are stripes (no good as expected) and a stupid 2"sq sample of banana leaf (which I think really does work, but WTH, a 2" square ... ridiculous)

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• ckink9135
    8 years ago

Of all the fabrics you've posted the pink flamingo's instantly felt right to me for some crazy reason. I like that it's a little retro feeling for the metal dining set. I like that the catskill in the fabric is very similar in color to the taupe gray in your other fabrics. I like the touch of green and it's whimsical enough to "go" with the room but not be to matchy matchy.

While the palm leaves is the right color of green it just feels too big of a print to me for small chair cushions. The fabric that Allison posted has the taupe gray also, and I do like the colors, but in my opinion it isn't eclectic enough to fit into the room...

Just my thoughts!

• User
    8 years ago

The flamingoes are too washed out.....pale in a sea of gray. I love the graphic punch of your banana leaf sample and it is the perfect color. Surely a skilled sea,stress could center one leaf in the middle of each cushion? The banana leaves are my pick :-)

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

Did someone call for a skilled seamstress?

• User
    8 years ago

Perfect!

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oldbat, you are killing me. Those chairs were just done last summer in the grey. They look much better as you have them! I have to stop veering toward pale and light all the time!

I am looking for cushions for the glass and white iron dining set on porch, not for the grey wicker chairs.

Anyway, it was not until last night that I finally had my flamingo sample. (long story). I have to say I am just drawn to the flamingoes, since I like the whimsy of the retro vibe (the furnishing are authentic retro). I am thinking of doing the flamingos with dark green piping and ties. I think it is not the best choice for the room, but it is my favorite choice so I am just going to do it.

Another issue is that this back screened porch has 2 french doors from the LR, and is very much visible from the LR. I already have more patterns than I've ever used in my whole life in my LR!

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I had a very similar leaf pattern on pillows and disliked it a lot. It really reminded me of a theme restaurant.

What about something like this: Beach Huts for a couple of pillows for the green rattan seat with the gray stars

Or if you like the coral tones: Also for seat backs or cushions since it seems like you have the seats figured out Sea life Coral or Isadella

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OMG, Kippy, now that you say it, I don't think I could ever use that fabric! I am seeing Rainforest Cafe. blechh!

Well, I pulled the trigger.Flamingo cushions for the flat dining room seat cushions, w dark green piping and dark green ties.

• Kippy
    8 years ago

I am so sorry if you really loved that print! I bet the flamingos are fun. Now for some green sea glass and a green lobster pillow

Several years ago I just could not live one more day with the desperation couch I got cheap after I was divorced and got rid of it and was patrolling CL for a slip covered couch. I found this one from a trendy store (One Beach Road) here (SoCal where we can grow those bananas and I have to trim them). The couple was tired of the style and putting their weekend condo on the market and sold the entire set with the couch, a coffee table I still love and a chair I like too. The only thing I did not like was those leaf pillows. I lived with them a couple of years til I just could not stand them anymore and new new covers. It reminded me of a restaurant downtown (only a block from the store the couch came from) I felt like I needed a parrot to go with them

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

NO, no, that was helpful. I love the flamingos, I just like the way the banana leaves look and the vibe. But, the fact that it is a Sunbrella texture bothered me, and after your post I know why. It seems too indestructible-public-spacey.

Anyway, the flamingos have some flora that is grey,and tiny bit of green; thats why I think the piping will kind of tie it in w the sofa.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Sheesh. The more I see the flamingos, the more I am liking them. Sigh. The fabric will be perfect.

MtnRdRedux thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

Agree. You need a few throw pillows in the flamingo fabric for the wicker furniture! And some lamps with pale pink bases :-)

MtnRdRedux thanked jlc712
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

Moda Table Lamp, Pink · More Info

• roarah
    8 years ago

I missed this thread somehow, busy lounging by the sea perhaps... But anyhow I love the pink flamingos with the vintage set! Lovely yet again Mtr!

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

If you can take a picture of the fabric sample spread out, I will photoshop for you if you wish. (I think I prefer this to the banana leaf print already).

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Oldbat, I really screwed up this post because it's confused everyone! You can't really photoshop the flamingos in, because there is no picture of my dining set. I have 4 chairs and a table, white wrought iron, they look 50s-60s to me. There are no cushions on the metal chairs, so I am having some made. That is what the fabric is for.

The grey chairs were reupholstered last summer in the grey colorway of a Coral pattern. The green wicker settee was reupholstered at the same time, in the grey Starfish print.

Roarah, thank you. The fabric is such fun and not a reference to the locale but to the vintage of the furniture.

JLC, that is so pretty! I dont have a place for it unless i get a table. I have a floorlamp, and was thinking of getting a custom flamingo shade, made but i love love that lamp! I wonder if it could go on a smallish side table.

Thanks, Cyn.

• teeda
    8 years ago

The flamingo fabric looks great with the dining set and your other vintage pieces. It reminds me of visiting my grandparent's friends homes when I was a young kid in the 60s (New England) who had a sort of 40s/50s palm beach style going in their sunrooms/screened porches. My mother in law painted the porch furniture at the family lakefront Adirondack cabin flamingo pink back in the early 60s (the paint had been leftover from the late 50s ). It's still on the porch and I love it more every year! So it works anywhere! Can't wait to see the photos when you finish.

MtnRdRedux thanked teeda
  • MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Okay, JLC, this is all your fault but now I need that lamp. Problem is what kind of table would it go on? ANd I think i only have a about 2' either side of where the sofa is now; wont that table be too puny for the lamp? The shade is 18" D.

Here is the only photo I have that gives you a sense of the area between the sofa and wall

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I could see a table like this. But I think it us both too small and too light visually for the lamp?

• jlc712
    8 years ago

I take full responsibility, but that lamp really is perfect. And it's much more fun to shop for you than for myself. I looked a little bit, and it was hard to find something that's the right size, a little vintage, not too fussy, etc. But I did find a few that *might* work.

I wonder if you could put the lamp on a table between the two chairs, if there's not quite enough room at the end of the sofa?

I like this one and it looks to have just a little bit of pink:

Preserve Saybrook Lamp Table, Orchid · More Info

A corner table might work-

Gomez Corner Table - Vintage Grey · More Info

I liked how this one is a bit retro, but it might be too white-

Distressed White Wood Lattice Table · More Info

Like this one a lot--

Scotty End Table-Bleached Pine · More Info

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nice job JLC, you are hired. But somehow I worry the lamp is too big for these, it is 30"H and 18" D ....

Can it really be that high? seems big doesn't it? Taller than the tables?

Maybe this is more balanced?

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Take a look at this: who knew?

• jlc712
    8 years ago

It is a larger scale lamp, but I think that's a good thing, because the arms of the wicker sofa look fairly high.

I have a large brass urn lamp, so I just measured it and it's 31" tall, on a 28" tall table, and it looks proportionate. I'd measure the height of the sofa arms, get a table close to that height, and it should work.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

that's it, Im ordering the lamp. : )

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So they were sold out on the site you linked to JLC, but I found it at the "Well Appointed Home". Had it in my cart, when I saw $58 shipping. What? I'm not in Samoa. I'm an avid online shopper and that seems really high. Is it me?

• User
    8 years ago

Probably due to size and weight - if they ship lamp base and shade together, it will be in huge box and not weigh much. If shade shipped alone, it will be big and weight nothing - that's the way UPS, et al gets people. I just bought an antique chandelier that weighs a ton per antique store owner. It's 24" x 24" and was $50 to box/ship.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, I know, if you and i went to UPS that is what they would tell us. But I don't believe these large commercial operations are paying anywhere near that (we are in the same state as the shipper) but instead are profiting on shipping. Galls me, esp for a not-exactly-bargain lamp with a zillion percent markup.

I was able to find it two other places with free shipping, so Im happy.

thx again JLC