SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drbeanie2000_gw

Kitchen/sunroom/'nook' layout take 2 (long, pics)

drbeanie2000
12 years ago

Thanks for everyone for responding here when I posted originally - especially those who pointed out that the options I'd posted first didn't meet any of our goals/likes/dislikes.

Since then, we've hired a KD, and the following pix are what she has come up with.

First, our "existing conditions," annotated.

Next, one of the first cuts our KD came up with, after the architect had come up with the two "bump-outs."

In the next few figures are "elevations" our KD drew for the various regions marked on the previous photograph.

She'd put a prep sink in there, but since we got our gorgeous Van Gogh slab, we are not cutting into that baby. I've also become increasingly seduced by so many people's experience with the Blanco Silgranit Super Single w/offset drain, that I'm pretty sure I want to use it, so the sink area in the drawing needs to be quite a bit wider, I think.

As for all the trash, we have to dump it ourselves in our area - that means separating it and taking it to the local dump where we need to go to several of the 32 or so separate recycling stations (no kidding - corrugated cardboard, non-corrugated cardboard, white paper, glossy paper, newspaper, green bottles, brown bottles, clear bottles, cell phones, eyeglasses, wood, aluminum, paint, "bulky," goodwill, tires, appliances, tvs (separate from appliances), and at the end - straight trash. I'm leaving out a lot of the "stations" because I don't remember them, because I block out the horror of fighting all the dump traffic on Saturday morning due to ALL the residents doing this.

Ahem.

The other dump we have access to, really only has 4 stations: paper, cardboard, cans, and "co-mingle," which translates into "everything else." For co-mingle, we have to put everything in a special bag we have to buy at the grocery store.

So when I explained this to my KD, she came up with this 4-bin setup. I think everything will get filled up really fast, especially paper, but I can't think of a great alternative. Any ideas? We have to exit the house and walk outside and around the corner to get to the garage, by the way.

So, experts, what do you all think? Obvious layout disasters? Ideas about what to do with the "sunroom"/"nook" area? I prefer drawers to pull-outs, and that's what she's put in, other than the pantry.

TIA!

drbeanie2000

Comments (6)