SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

More sunroom layout advice needed

weedyacres
16 years ago

Thanks to those who commented on my sunroom/breakfast nook question earlier. The plan-drawer just dropped off a more detailed set of drawings (we haven't yet talked about connecting the two rooms, so it's still the original). Here's the rear (west) elevation.

The unexpected "bummer" part is that we wanted a cathedral ceiling in the sunroom, but because of the two windows above the future room, the pitch of the roof can only be 1/12, or practically flat. He said we'd need to put an EPDM roof on it, and I'm reading up on what that's all about. Will that devalue the house? This isn't a forever house for us, it's in a moderately upscale neighborhood, and we need to consider potential resale in a few years.

The alternative, if we want a steeper roof, would be to remove or shrink the upstairs windows. I'm concerned that would be pricey. Also, a higher roof would block some of the view from the upstairs sitting room. The view north isn't anything exciting (the lake is to the west), but it means the master wouldn't have an unobstructed view.

Any advice on our roof is welcome. Here's a refresher of the 1/F floorplan.

Comments (6)