SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isaac_1

GFCI outlet, am I an idiot?

isaac-1
13 years ago

I was at my elderly mother's house the other day while she had a couple of handy men fixing a few electrical things around the house. Mostly replacing old outdoor light fixtures, but also installing some GFCI outlets around her new deck. These GFCI outlets were daisy chained off of an existing older outdoor non-GFCI outlet like this:

breaker ---- non-GFCI outlet ----- new GFCI outlet ----- new GFCI outlet

After seeing this done I told one of the handymen that they should have replaced the old non-GFCI outlet with a GFCI outlet and let it do ground fault protection for the downstream outlets. The guy then became very upset with me, one of those how dare I tell him how to do his job, I thought he was going to attack me for a moment, he insisted that a GFCI outlet anywhere on the chain would protect all outlets on the chain, has been doing this for 30 years, etc. This does not pass my common sense knowledge of electrical circuits, but given he had such a strong reaction, I thought I would ask here, was he right, am I an idiot?

thanks Ike

p.s. its not like I am "so no-nothing kid" telling him he did something wrong, I am in my 40's only a few years younger than he is.

Comments (8)