SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjgillen96

Need help with 4-wire GFCI outlet + switch / outdoor light

mjgillen96
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hey guys I have this weird issue that I cannot figure out. I have this GFCI that I'm trying to wire up and I thought I had rewired ti exactly the same as the outlet I replaced however its not working. And what I mean by not working is that the light does not switch on and I get no power from the outlet. Let me attempt to describe what I see:

At the top of the stairs by the front door is a light switch. Down the stairs at the landing is a GFCI outlet. Just past the GFCI outlet is a light that is controlled by the light switch at the top of the stairs.

In the GFCI receptacle box are four wires coming in and four going out: white, black, green, and red. I do not know where they come from or where they go. The RED wires are connected by a wire nut in the back of the box. Likewise the GREEN wires are connected to eachother as well as to a pigtail connected to ground in the box and the GFCI receptacle. The two white and two black wires are what I need to figure out where to connect.

The light has three wires popping out of a plastic conduit: white, black, green.

With switch OFF nothing is energized.

With nothing connected (all wires just dangling bare) and switch ON, the white wire at the light is energized. Nothing else is energized.

With wires at the light connected (white to white, black to black, green to green IN THE LIGHT) I get white wire at light is energized, black wire at light is energized, and ONE white wire at GFCI receptacle is energized.

Thinking that the energized white wire is my HOT LINE I connected it to where the black wire should go, connected the black wire to the other side of LINE and connected the other two wires to LOAD with white to the connection labeled WHITE and the black to the other side. Well that didn't work, no power, no light.

So I swapped the LINE connections (swapped black and white). Still didn't work.

So I swapped LINE and LOAD. Still didn't work.

So I am stumped. I am guessing the light is wired in such a way that I just don't understand it. I *think* the wire going to the light is just one wire that is energized by the switch and the other end of that connection goes to the GFCI outlet however I'm stumped how to wire it up correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Michael - just a home owner trying to check this off my "honey do" list

Comments (9)