SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

Reasonable cost to replace electrical panel?

kudzu9
12 years ago

My father-in-law is selling his 1960's rambler in small town Idaho (Coeur d'Alene). The basement was finished about 25 years ago and a new panel was put in. The panel is Federal Pacific, which I know has a less-than-good reputation, although he has never had any electrical problems. The home inspector recommended it be replaced, although that was based on the brand of the panel rather than any identified problem. A local electrician gave a quote of $1500 to put in a new panel. The existing panel is in a fully accessible location and the house is well-wired so no additional wiring or circuits would be needed. I replaced a panel once, myself, and it did not seem like a very demanding thing to accomplish even for someone who was not an electrician (and it passed inspection!). Since I live several hundred miles away from him, I am not volunteering to do this job. So, I'm wondering how reasonable the $1500 quote is for a job like this that's not in a major metropolitan area. Lastly, is the panel replacement really a necessity?

Comments (11)