SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
balego_gw

Please help me with this living space?(pic heavy)

balego_gw
15 years ago

A couple of years ago, I had posted this room asking what the first impression of this room was. I received an overwhelming response which was very positive. It is a difficult space, as it is long and very narrow and is both our living/dining room, having three windows in awkward places as well as two large doorways. The room has changed slightly since my first post, below is how it looked two years ago.

{{gwi:1624496}}

And now

{{gwi:1805713}}

Since that first post, we put in all new windows and trim, framed in the doorway and added the french doors. The blinds are cherry wood, and the floor is all new hardwood. As you can see, everything is in shades of brown now. I didn't plan it that way, it just happened to end up all browns.

The only colour is the drapery panels. I would really like to add accessories, but although I do see things that appeal to me, I really don't know what kind of things would suit the space, nor how to arrange things. I tend to buy little things that arent expensive, but then think they look sort of silly once I get them home, such as that plastic plant thing on the coffee table and the fake greens on the small console table. I need more lighting, but don't know what lamps would look good, nor where to put them. THe (fake) fireplace needs light over it, but even that small one looks too tall up there. And to me it would look strange to have a lamp on the table beside the sofa as it is not far from the one on the fireplace. But light is indeed needed there.

Can you give me some direction and maybe a suggestion for a different colour I can place in there for a bit of interest? Just fyi...the furniture placement is pretty much how it has to be unless I ditch the fireplace. It looks best where it is, believe me, I tried numerous arrangements and nothing else works. Also, the large TV there is going in the basement family room. The original TV (shown in before pic), will be put back on the console once we build the unit to hold the larger one in our basement. Okay, here is the rest of the space.

{{gwi:1805714}}

{{gwi:1805715}}

{{gwi:1805716}}

{{gwi:1805717}}

And the whole room looking from the kitchen

{{gwi:1805718}}

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH