SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Help with layout, please (pic heavy)

lisa_a
15 years ago

I'm so impressed with you GWers and your talent for kitchen remodeling. I'm hoping you will be willing to give me your feedback on my plan.

Family of 4, two teen boys, one about to head to college. I'm the main cook. I use oven, cooktop and slow-cooker for meals. We love roasted vegetables. This causes problems when I'm cooking a meal that requires a lower temp (we only have one oven). I'm not a big baker anymore. I can't afford the temptation.

Hubby does breakfast dishes and killer fried rice. He uses cooktop, electric wok and electric griddle for this. The boys also cook, mostly easy stuff like grilled cheese, omelets, pizza, brownies and cookies. My oldest sometimes gets creative. He enjoyed cooking for his friends.

The microwave gets used for heating water, defrosting items, popcorn and a few simple dishes (green beans almondine).

Here's our existing floor plan.

(I'm hoping I figured out how to do this correctly.) It's a photo, sorry, I couldn't get my scanner to work to post this to scale but I added dimensions.

Our current floorplan works but I wonder if it could be made better. We're keeping the cupboards, either re-staining or painting. We can add a new cabinet or two but we'd like to keep appliance shifts to a minimum so that this isn't a huge cost for us.

What I like:

Corner sink and window

Dishwasher set-up - even though it's to the left and we're right-handed, it's convenient to the dish, silverware and glass storage, which is convenient to the kitchen table.

Open, bright feeling - windows face S and W so there's lots of light (and lots of heat in the summer).

My pantry! It holds so much stuff.

My new CD refrigerator. I'm so glad our designer persuaded me to buy one. It's plenty big enough for our family of four (we had a SxS with same cu. ft. but less usable space) and it gave us an extra 3" between fridge door and island.

Separate cooktop, wall oven and hidden microwave - I prefer separate units and not having to stoop for the oven. As for that cooktop in the island, it's a mixed bag. The pros - I like looking out into the rest of the room when cooking, as does hubby.

What I don't like: It mostly hinges on the island cooktop.

The venting is not the best so we rarely use it. That said, I find very little grease and dirt on the pendants above. If the cooktop remains here, we have 2 choices: a downdraft that raises higher (to 14" not our current 7") and has an in-line or exterior motor or an island hood. Our big concern with the latter is how it will look in our space and whether is will be too visually heavy. I also wish I had more counter on each side (have 16") for prep.

Too much clutter on counters, particularly next to oven, next to fridge and in eating area. Need better organizational set-up. I've been looking at the zone info and I have some ideas but I'd love suggestions (you'll see this more in pics as soon as I get them loaded).

The problems:

I've played with going from a cooktop/wall oven set-up to a range where the fridge is, moving the fridge to where the wall oven is. This would give us better and cheaper venting against the wall (into a covered deck area, is that a problem?). The fridge would have to be recessed slightly into the wall to work (I think this is doable). We'd have to move water lines and gas lines and maybe set up new electrics for the range (want dual fuel). This gives me a clear island for prep BUT I can't figure out where to put the microwave or 2 items on my wish list: a warming drawer and a second oven. I am considering a microwave/convection to get around that second oven.

Okay, if this works, I'll try to upload some photos so you can see the space.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company