SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hydrangea_luvr

Back to the Drawing Board - Please help! (pic heavy)

hydrangea_luvr
13 years ago

I thought I had everything figured out and now I'm going back to square one. The cabinet maker is coming Sat. and I'm hoping he will have some good ideas, but I also don't want to be back at square one when he comes. I'll attach pictures below but wanted to give you some of my thoughts.

The room is generally 12x12 with three doors and 1 window, which makes it kind of tough. We are knocking out the wall between kitchen and dining room, but it's load bearing. We are keeping the kitchen the same size, but there will be a breakfast bar on the dining room side of the wall we knock down. I think we will be able to recess one of the supports in the outside wall, but we will have a beam going across the area, and there's a possibility we will also have a post coming down on the right side of the door into the dining room for support. Maybe not.

Here are my must haves - counterspace, some sort of pantry (I'm now thinking about one of those pull-outs since they can be a little slimmer). I want an induction cooktop or range (hubby insists it be on the peninsula where our current stove is). The sink will stay in the same place, but I want to move the dishwasher next to the sink. I'm willing to go cooktop on countertop with a single wall oven someplace else...or slide-in range.

I'm organizationally challenged (as you will see in pictures of current kitchen) so I want to have a place for everything and everything in it's place. I also want to have clean/clear countertops, including finding a place for microwave - maybe over single wall oven. If I can figure out how to do it, I would like a cabinet for trays, pullout for spices. Currently I have only drawer I can access in kitchen, so more drawers would be helpful, too.

Cabinets will be cherry shaker with soapstone countertops. Haven't completely decided on sink yet, but will probably be a stainless steel undermount, with runnels on the countertop.

There are 4 of us...hubby, me, and 2 boys...plus 2 dogs, but the dogs are being displaced and will not be hanging out in the kitchen. We're on the go a lot. I love to cook, but a lot of time have to do big things up front and heat up leftovers. I'm not really a baker.

Another issue will be toekick heating. We have baseboard hot water, but it's going to have to be moved no matter what we do. Gotta love this old house.

Finally, my budget is not enormous, especially since we have structural work that needs to be done and this is a gut job. My appliances will be either electrolux slide-in induction range or bosch 30" cooktop, with a 30" (?) single wall oven. I'm leaning towards a bosch 24" dw, and have no idea about the fridge yet. It needs to have a pretty good capacity. (Speaking of fridge...the wall between kitchen and bathroom is really thick so the GC thinks we can recess the fridge into so it doesn't stick out so much.)

Anyone want to help me design my kitchen?

Here's basic floorplan, current floor plan and pictures of current ugly, messy kitchen.

If you want to see pictures of my current kitchen disaster, you can go here:

70s Disaster

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH