SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Bought lamp from antique place for buffet?

User
15 years ago

Went antique shopping over the weekend. Was originally going to go to the consignment shop Funkart recommended but called them first to double check hours due to the holiday. Glad I checked because they were closing early and I wouldn't of made it.

I did forget there is a place called The Cove Antiques and Peggy's Antiques on Rt 11&15. Went to the Cove and found this lamp. Bought the shade separate at Lowes.

It's white ceramic with dark brown leaves and copper flowers.

The lamp shade it sitting kind of weird. Thinking it may be due to the harp being a little bent? I didn't think a white shade would work, the only black one they had was too small.

Height to the top of finale is 30"

What do ya think?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (36)

• User
    15 years ago

Pretty lamp - I don't think that's the right shade for it tho!

Now IMO.....it's too tall and narrow, I would go for something 24-27" with a much wider base - think squatty!

Jim

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

I agree with Jim...it's a very nice lamp. Personally, I think it looks too overpowering for the mirror and the buffet. I think it would look better, if you brought the height, of the mirror up some. YOu don't have to go too high, but I wouldn't keep it where it is now. It all overwhelms the buffet, and with hiking up the mirror some, would give a much more proportioned look to everything. JMO

• Related Discussions

New dining buffet now in place!! Yippee!!

Q

Comments (26)
    Thanks Nami! Well, I knew the quality would be limited because of the price. While searching for a buffet I saw that a very well constructed piece would be over $1000 at least. A ver nice one might be $3000 or more. This was $399 plus shipping. The online site had it listed for $499 but because I mentioned my catalog customer number the price was matched to the sale in the catalog. That was awesome plus I think the shipping surcharge was dropped as well. Cool. So far, so good. Now, if I decide to stay here a 3rd year ( I will decide this fall or perhaps even much sooner) what color would you paint this room and the kitchen because they share a common wall? I am think EK taupe; would that work? Kitchen:
    ...See More

Lamps for the Buffet

Q

Comments (104)
    Oh my. I can't believe there are so many responses to this thread. Yes, that is the parrot lamp that squirrel PS'ed in. I like it, but it's not my money or my house. I'm glad you are thinking of going to the consignment store funky recommended. Make sure to bring along any pics/swatches, digital camera and a tape measure as you'll never know what you'll find.
    ...See More

What lamps for buffet?

Q

Comments (31)
    Ugh, those lamps are absolutely awesome! The way the light is cast is wonderful, and the black against the lit blue and with the black frame is really gorgeous. Don't take the cardboard out of the socket.
    ...See More

Opinion on what new buffet lamps to buy

Q

Comments (52)
    @flo mangan Look how perfect the lamps are, haven’t even removed plastic from shades but had to snap a pic. I love them! Haven’t bought anything from Monticello (apparently I have a short attention span and like to jump around to different rooms) but I found this blue and white vase I have and stuck some hydrangea blooms in it. Thanks so much for finding the lamps!! I need pillow help for my sofa. I don’t know what direction to go.
    ...See More
  • plainjane425
    15 years ago

Sorry sheesharee...just read your thread on choosing the right lamp, and saw that you wrote that your mirror was NOT up yet. That makes a huge difference in picking the right lamp. I would wait until it's up before you decide on the right size. I've got a buffet in my front hall, with a huge mirror over it.. I picked a Tall Buffet lamp. Now, at first you would not think it would work, for it's slender size, however, it fits well, because I've balanced it with other accessories. So, I definitely would wait till you put your mirror up before you decide.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

In the meantime, prop the mirror up on a thick book(s) to approximate the height you will hang it. Then place a lamp on the buffet and see how it looks. Try a lamp with shade, that comes about 1/2 way up the mirror. As for that lamp, I think it is too light against the darker bronzey colors you have there. I posted this one before, but it might work. I like this shape.
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does it make a difference that I'm going to paint at some point?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After all the PS with my other thread I had my heart set on a ceramic type lamp. A lot of the lamps I was seeing in person seemed HUGE. The bases looked really big and I was concerned about that with the parrot lamp. (from other thread. ) I'd also rather not spend $165 + S&H.

parrot lamp
    {{!gwi}}

Also the different colors in the ceramic lamps made me nervous because I'd then be stuck with those colors. I like pink but.... I thought since this one was more plain I could add color elsewhere.

Mirror is 35" to top.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I don't think it SHOULD make a difference. I move pretty often and change my paint color choices from home to home but not my furnishings. It always seems to work.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kmcg - You're lucky then. :) I have so much mixed matched stuff in my attic I'm in process of going through and getting rid of. My taste has changed a lot in the past couple of years.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

SheeSharee, Jim has provided a height range to look for at 24-27 inches. Since you've already got lighting in that area, if I were you, I'd just browse some old shops periodically. Don't buy anything until you see something in the right size -- that you love! You can still place a rug, hang the mirror, and decorate the top of the buffet with something to fill the area out.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was actually going by vals guidelines 26-32. I didn't think it looked too big in the store. Couldn't I just adjust the mirror height accordingly?

Well, the lamp didn't break the bank as it was $10 but I honestly like it. The shade seems off to me. I thought the flowers on it helped tie in the mirror.

I'll still keep my eyes open!

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

I think what I'm seeing is that it looks too much like a bedroom set up with that lamp. I'd look around for just the right fit..AFTER the mirror is hung and you set up your accessories for it. As squirrelhaven said, then, when you look around for lamps, you will know what will go just right.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

shesharee: That is a very pretty lamp, though I agree it's not quite as nice as some of the ones we had been considering. While I love the parrot lamp, I can emphasize with the budgetary restraints and just by guessing what else you'd like to do in your house, I think you can find a nice lamp for much less. So let's scratch that parrot lamp and work within your budgetary parameters. Shall we say max of $75 for a lamp base (and hopefully less)? I know it can be hard to make choices when you are still working on your color scheme and overall style. I don't think you can go wrong with anything that is good quality, not overly trendy and that you do not have to pay too much $$.

I was basing my recommendation for lamp height based on the peak of the mirror which you said was 36"--but if you plan to put the lamp on the side then you will need to adjust the height accordingly. Perhaps you should hang the mirror and see where the height falls at the point on the buffet where you'd like to place the lamp as the entire lamp should be reflected in the mirror.

What do you think about something like this (I found using keyword ginger jar lamp)?

Here is a link that might be useful: lamp

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That mirror is going up TONIGHT. I'm done dragging my feet with it.

How far should it be hung?

Let's pretend the lamp is by itself. What about the shade? Right color, wrong size/shape? Wrong all together?

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

val - I have that one saved in my watch list on ebay. I thought it might have been too short. I also like these

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Sheesharee, you know you can buy an item, such as a medium sea shell or small urn (and put a real fern in it) have a lamp made. They sit the item on a stand and put a lampshade on it.

I wish I had a picture of one but I do not. I am going to start doing that myself. I have friends and family that have their lamps made out of favorite items and it looks wonderful. And I am sure it is not expensive, call a small lamp place.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Wrong all together. The lamp is fine, the shade is fine, but together the shade is way too formal for the lamp.

Paint won't solve that problem.

I wouldn't be scared of a fatter lamp base. You have so much room (lucky ducky!) to play with.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

paint chips - So what type of shade would I need for the lamp? I'm going to move it..somewhere.

The fat base ones I was seeing (over the weekend)I thought would take over the buffet, perhaps I was wrong again! They were all obnoxiously ugly though.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I REALLY like this lamp.

ebay. with shipping is $37.94 3 days to go.

it's rather tall though. 23" to the socket and 35 to finial

way too tall isn't it? Even if it were in the middle?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Sheesharee- The shape looks great, the size is good too. I think what is throwing it off is the more fomal sheen to the fabric. While the lamp looks wonderfully vintage, the silky shade looks way too new.

• User
    15 years ago

You're going for tablelamps that you would read by - or possibly use on a nightstand.
    A taller lamp(or pair) could work w/a lesser width - more larger vertical mirror.
    Here's an example:

A smaller lamp that could be used on a desk would work well too.

Think in these terms - the buffet is a big piece in scale - so is the mirror... you need a smaller squatty based lamp to bal it all out.

Jim

Look at how lamp balances the chest and the wide art behind it.

{{!gwi}}

Nows here's another look that could work w/the right pair of lamps - it doesn't scream DR - but would work there too but all looks foyer/hall appropriate. Take note of the orchids in the cachepot as well - that could be a very easy DIY project. Orchid arrangements are great because they are not seasonal specific.

Also:

Sorry - don't mean to confuse you, but I came across these pics and I thought they would helpful examples for different looks.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

That is a pretty lamp. I'm no lamp expert, but I do know you can alter that height a bit, buy purchasing a shorter or taller harp and shade. I played around a bit with the harp height on the lamp I put in my LR. There were harps between 8-12"H. That said, I do not care for the scale of that lamp in your space. I do like the curves and think you should stick to a lamp with curves.

Do any of these strike you?

Capodimonte lamp: http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Italian-Capodimonte-Majolica-Lamp-Dolphin-feet_W0QQitemZ370080677209QQihZ024QQcategoryZ4218QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

crystal lamp: http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-VICTORIAN-CRYSTAL-TEARDROP-LAMP-SHADE_W0QQitemZ110284020385QQihZ001QQcategoryZ13866QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Victorian shade, crystal, marble: http://cgi.ebay.com/Victorian-Parlor-Table-Lamp-w-Shade-Ornate-Metal-Design_W0QQitemZ280260880467QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Living-Room-Victorian-Table-Lamps-Shard-Prizm-Shade_W0QQitemZ190248070541QQihZ009QQcategoryZ20704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-VICTORIAN-HANDPAINTED-TABLE-LAMP-SINGNED-BY-ARTIST_W0QQitemZ170257376691QQihZ007QQcategoryZ4056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/absolute-mint-1930s-hand-painted-oriental-floral-lamp_W0QQitemZ250287570924QQihZ015QQcategoryZ12QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-VINTAGE-FRENCH-ROSE-PINK-CRYSTAL-CHANDELIER-LAMP_W0QQitemZ130248945163QQihZ003QQcategoryZ45506QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-FRENCH-BRASS-CANDELABRA-TABLE-CHANDELIER-LAMP_W0QQitemZ220275890195QQihZ012QQcategoryZ63516QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-UMA-CLASSICS-TABLE-LAMP-VICTORIAN-FRENCH-OLD-WORLD_W0QQitemZ320293784478QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Electric-Candelabra-Lamp-Marble-Bronze-Glass_W0QQitemZ330267052179QQihZ014QQcategoryZ63547QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

Shesharee, I say this with love, but girl, you really need to hang the darned mirror! There is no way to tell if the ebay lamp is too tall until you hang the mirror.

I am guessing that (while very pretty) it is a bit too tall, but it is hard to tell without the mirror hung.

I think I would try to hang it 5"-6" up to start. It needs to get off of the table visually, but not disconnected. See how that looks. It may take a couple tries to get it the right height though. I hope you have someone to help you hold while you stand back to look.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

chijim - thanks for posting those pics. You always have great inspiration pics even if it does look like I don't follow them! It's like I don't know how to!

val - out of the ones you posted I like the following:

These are the favs.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

something's funky with the shade on this one.
    {{!gwi}}

I saw one of these go for really cheap awhile back on ebay or goodwill.com
    {{!gwi}}

this one is ok I like it yet something about it says no.
    {{!gwi}}

same with this one
    {{!gwi}}

Also really like the stubby parlor one. couldn't save that one

paint chips - haha I know, I know. DH will have to help. That sucker is heavy and awkward so this should be interesting.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Aw.... I was curious if you were over your thing for the candelabra lamps. Sometimes the choices can be just overwhelming. But don't be discouraged as finding out what does not work will help you to zero in on what does work. You can always resell that lamp on your local Craigslist if you decide you do not want it. I agree with paintchips, hang it about 6" above the buffet. Were you able to get the mirror hanging kit with the wire? A mirror of that size really needs to be hung with the wire. If you want me to take a pic of the back side of one of my mirrors, let me know.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

This is a little different in shape, but would work. I have a similar shaped lamp on my foyer table.
    {{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

val - I didn't buy the mirror hanger kit... I honestly don't think it would work because of where the hangers are on the back. Each are on the corner where it's real narrow. If I'd use of the wire you'd see it while hanging. I'm ready to just use an anchor thing and be done with it. DH went to the gym (this is where I should be to but I bailed tonight.) and we were going to attempt it when he gets back.
    No I'm not over my candelabra thing but I'm aware that it probably won't go right there. Also because my chandy is similar in style. *sigh*
    I know I could sell the other lamp but I really do like it. I swear it looks different irl than in these pics. Or does it..? I'm trying to think of another spot to put it but am coming up with nothing. Any chance it would work in my LR?

kcmg - I like the style of that lamp as well. ha I like too many things!!!!!!!!!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I love the mirror.

I love the buffet.

I love a lot of the lamps.

But somehow they keep striking me as a bedroom/washstand setup, rather than an entryway setup.

I love the most recent lamp, but I personally think it really adds to the bedroom-type look.

I would be inclined to either go way skinnier, as in the buffet-type lamps, but maybe do a drum shade instead of the standard buffet shade, or go way chunkier and squattier.

I think the mid-sized lamps are throwing the look.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hmmm...

should the lamp be off to the side or center? I was really thinking it should be off to the side. I also just scrolled back up and looked at my pictures and if I were to put a lamp on the side is will have to def. be shorter and fatter.
    ! I do not want this to look like a bedroom!

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

If your buffet is waist high, you want the lamp to be shorter.

In my foyer, I have an old dining room hutch piece that sits very low.

I have to do a taller lamp because of that.

It looks like your buffet is taller, so you should get a shorter lamp, or go the opposite and do tall and skinny.

Here is my foyer:

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

reno - yeah, the buffet is 35" tall. Goes to my hip.

Love the your hutch! In fact, all the pics I've even seen of your house I love.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Did you notice the similarities between jim's inspiration pic:

{{!gwi}}

and one of the lamps you are considering?

{{!gwi}}

Only for that, I guess you'd need a different mirror.

I also would like the placement to be off to the side like in reno_fan's entry table scape; however the challenge is the mirror slopes down on the sides which is why we have been focusing on the shorter/table lamps. I am not shesharee, but I am starting to feel like this quest for a lamp is going around in circles.

Does anyone think that perhaps shesharee should NOT put a lamp there and instead put a combination of pillar candles, a small framed picture, a floral display and/or porcelain vase?

• reno_fan
    15 years ago

I personally would do lamps. I love that look in an entry way.

I would probably tend to pick a lamp and shade with very clean lines. The mirror has the frou-frou element (which I love), and the hutch has the height. The lamp (IMO) should be less of a focal point. The mirror is the focal point. The lamp should just be a warm element.

In my own decorating, I've realized that I have a pretty consistent pattern of pairing or juxtaposing opposite elements. If one thing is plain, pair it with something elegant. To me, the mirror is super-ornate, so I'd go way less formal on the lamp. If I brought in other formal elements, it would be in smaller decorative pieces, rather than the lamp or shade.

I think that the lamps so far have competed too much with the ornate frame and that's why they haven't worked. The current lamp has elements that mimic the mirror, and that's why I don't think it works. It's too much. I almost think the lamp base itself needs to sort of "disappear" and be much less of a feature.

• paint_chips
    15 years ago

*This* is why I love this place. Where else can I help obsess over lamps! I try to do it with my husband, but it isn't as fun : )

There are lots of opinions here, I think because there are so many great ways to do an entry-scape.

I have been looking at lamps too so I went through the sites until I found the one that I would do for your table. LOL, if I could only decide for MY space now! Oh, and I would pair this with a sagey green paint. My second choice would be a chunky blue and white lamp.

Here is a link that might be useful: This would be my pick!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm happy to announce the mirror is ON THE WALL!! 6" from buffet. Yay! I'll have to post pictures tomorrow. I'd also like to say I'm sorry for not listening sooner about hanging the mirror first. 30" I think is way too tall. If put in the middle it fights with the hangy thing. I'm thinking the lamp will need to be in the lower 20" range. I have pictures of this as well.
    Maybe now that I have a better idea of height it won't be as difficult.

Val - I do see the similarities between the inspiration pic and my foyer. Good job Jim!!

Reno - I hear ya about picking something less formal to pair with formal but since I'm drawn to the frou/frill I have a hard time (obviously) picturing what would look good.

Paint Chips - I like the size and style of that lamp. I do like palm trees but personally am not feeling them for in the foyer. My computer is starting to act weird but I'll def. check them out more tomorrow.

Picking a lamp is one thing but then what else do I put on it!? Oh my.. I do have two pretty candle holders (different heights but matching) that I don't have a home for. They twist up to the top and have feet things on the bottom (remember I like things with little feet) but they're dark brown.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's the old thread, with a virtual of the chandy over the buffet.

Is it already centered with the buffet or is it more towards the chair?

No cleared buffet top pic?

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Thread

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Squirrel - Ohh I forgot you did that! Sorry!! I guess I always just picture fixtures in the foyer to be in the middle.
    I stayed at my Grandparents last night (DH had his foot ball draft and their computer is faster than ours.) so I never even made it home. I will for sure tonight!