SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merriam_gw

Wiring for OTR Microwave

15 years ago

Hi. I have a few questions about wiring for a new over the range microwave.

1. The directions for installation say to put an outlet in the cabinet above the range. What about putting the outlet ABOVE THE CABINET instead of inside it? Are there any codes for keeping an outlet any distance from a ceiling? It seems like this would be the best.

2. The directions say "the outlet should be on a circuit dedicated to the microwave 120v, 60Hz., AC only, with a 20ampere fused electrical supply." I've done wiring before, but I don't really know what this means. There is an outlet behind the stove and I thought if the wires aren't long enough to reach up to the cabinet/above the cabinet, I could use the existing outlet box as a junction box and add an extra couple of feet of wire and put the new outlet in the cabinet/above the cabinet. How do I tell if it meets the criteria: "120v, 60Hz., AC only, with a 20ampere fused electrical supply"? Does it mean that if there are other outlets on this circuit that it is not a dedicated circuit? (There are no other outlets on that wall but on the two adjacent walls there are outlets that do not get used.)

3. This question may be answered in the answer to the previous question, but in the old outlet behind the stove I have plugged in two halogen under the cabinet lights and a string of mini lights for the top of the cabinet. After moving the outlet up, can I continue to plug them in the same outlet as the microwave?

4. Finally, Just curious, but could I leave the old outlet there in case I want to use it for small appliances in the future and add the new outlet onto that circuit...just by undoing the wire nuts and adding a couple of feet of wire for the new outlet? I guess if I did that, then it would not be a dedicated circuit, is that right?

5. Ok, one more. I will be using just enough wire to reach between the old outlet and new one, but is it necessary to secure the new wire to the studs in some way to prevent someone from hitting it when screwing into the wall in the future? If necessary, how is this done without ripping out wall all along the way between outlets?

THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance!!!

Comments (6)