SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johncle6023

Adding a ground wire

Johncle6023
11 years ago

I would like to say thank you very much in advance for any help that can be provided. My question is this, I am in the process of updating the lighting in my kitchen. My home was built in the 50's. I have an updated panel and most of the wiring itself has also been updated from the old wire with only the hot and neutral. I do occasionally run into an ungrounded outlet or replace a light fixture that still has the old wire. This is my current situation. I am adding recessed lighting in my kitchen to an area that currently has two fluorescent fixtures, each run off a separate switch. After pulling down the fixtures, i see that one has new romex run to it and is grounded properly but the other has the old black and white only wire. I am wondering what options i have to add a ground to the cans that will be run off of this switch. Can i simply run a bare copper ground wire from grounding terminal bar within the breaker box to this location? I also have easy access to the other fixture that is properly grounded..Can i "jump" a ground wire from this fixture to the other? Would either of these options be acceptable? As i said, thank you very much for your help!"

Comments (6)