SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malgyver

Quick Check on Adding a Ground wire for a 4-wire Hot Tub

malgyver
16 years ago

Hello All,

By now, I have read many many posts on this subject, but in my own words, would like to get a simple confirmation (or advice).

I am installing a hot tub. Its a pretty small Jet Pack, rated for 26 amps at 240V with a 4 wire hookup. This unit is a 120/240V model, but I am wiring for 240.

50 feet from the tub is the Meter and Main Panel. Inside the main panel is a 100 amp breaker with black and red wires, and a white wire that is hooked into a large bar.

My main question is about running the ground wire. I was going to use a 6 gauge 4 conductor that has the bare ground, to a subpanel and disconnect about 10 feet from the tub.

My understanding is that the ground wire, at the Main Panel side, should be hooked into the same bar that the white neutral wire is hooked to, but then they are isolated in the run, and hooked to different places once they reach the GFCI breaker.

Is this correct? I just want a confirmation. The ground wire is hooked to the same place as the neutral at the main panel?

Also, I read somewhere that the ground should be the same size wire as the hots, but how is this achieved with the bare ground wire that is already part of the 4 conductor cable? The bare usually is solid, but slightly smaller (seemingly) than the three insulated conductors.

I understand that once the 4 conductors leave the Main Panel, they all have different hookups...ground to ground, and the neutral to the GFCI and on to the neutral of the Jet Pack.

Any confirmation here would be great.

Comment (1)