SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jhzr2

Replacing neutral in knob and tube 3-way switch

JHZR2
9 years ago

We have a 1925 home that we are refinishing the kitchen in. We have rewired most of the home and circuits from knob and tube to 12ga Romex.

Having observed closely the wiring and the rewire job, I can say with some certainty that the home had two original circuits. Perhaps more, but the two that remained powered the main lighting fixtures in a number of rooms, and one or two interior circuits that couldn't easily be rewired back to the box.

The two remaining k&t circuits were put on AFCI 15A breakers (my load analysis due to cfl and led use is that they could really be protected/fused by 5-7A actually).

Anyway, that's the background, here is the issue. Kitchen is being redone, ceiling is down as we will be putting up tin. In the center of the kitchen ceiling is a box, which is switched by a 3-way circuit that is currently k&t. The issue is that the common for the 3-way to the box for the light can be rewired at one of the switches with Romex. But there is no way for me to rewire the main hot or traveller legs because of placement of the other switch. The circuit is wired that the hot comes in via the upstairs switch, two travelers go to the downstairs switch, with common out to the fixture, and then neutral comes from the other side of the room.

So my question is how to best remediate this. Rewiring the three way travelers would require destruction of walls and potentially part of my stairway. Given the condition of the wire, how it is placed and spread along the run that is visible, and the fact that it will be protected by an AFCI on one end, and will have new Romex at the fixture, I'm comfortable with it. But how do I best wire it? Run Romex to the box where the common to the light will be, and just connect the common to that, cut the black from the wiring, and just run the neutral and ground back to the main panel? Or can I connect conduit and then just run a neutral and ground by themselves in conduit?

Should I run it all the way back, or could I just splice it to another circuit?

Thanks for your advice!

This post was edited by JHZR2 on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 15:42

Comments (12)