SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noahjvk

Knob and tube 3-way switch

noahjvk
16 years ago

We have a 3-way setup where a switch at the top and bottom of the staircase both control the ceiling light. The wiring is knob and tube (K&T). I have run a new line to the attic, and have replaced all of the K&T feeds to the other ceiling lights with 12-2 Romex (we had a short that was tripping the breaker, so I said the heck with it and decided to pull out the knob and tube). One of the switches on the 3-way is entirely inaccessible at the bottom of the stairs (even for fish tape enthusiasts). What I would like to do is junction into the K&T with 12-2 Romex, but the K&T setup is confusing. I found where the K&T originates from the wall. K&T wire#1 has a lead that goes to the fixture, and then disappears behind the wall to the switches. K&T wire#2 does not go to the fixture, and disappears into the wall next to the hot en route to the switches (I know they go to the switches b/c 3 wires are present at the switch boxes). The ceiling fixture is then connected by a single K&T lead to switch #1. So what is really the hot and travelers? It is difficult to tell with K&T. I would think that K&T wire #1 is the hot, only b/c it connects to the black wire on the ceiling fixture. Does it matter if I reverse the hot and neutral of the K&T when I junction into the Romex leads, and how would I know if it is unsafe (The switches could still work wired backward, in theory)?

Comments (6)