SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

GFCI Receptacle Trips When 3-Way Light Switches Are Turned On

ntl1991
13 years ago

Hello. I'm having a bit of a difficult time diagnosing what seems like a simple enough problem.

First off, I've been in the process of replacing 2-wire, non-grounding receptacles with those that are 3-wire, grounding-type in my late 1940's home. Of course, according to the NEC, I can only replace a 2-wire receptacle with a grounding type if it's protected by a GFCI. OK. So I installed a GFCI receptacle right at the beginning of the circuit. Now, when I turn on my two wall sconces above my fireplace (which are downstream of the GFCI), both controlled by a pair of 3-way backlit switches, the GFCI immediately trips. If, however, I remove the light bulbs from both sconces, the GFCI does not trip when I operate the switches. I'm absolutely confident that the GFCI receptacle is installed correctly with the hot and neutral wires (for both the line and load) in the proper location.

(Also something interesting... With the power on at the fusebox, and the GFCI on and working, the backlights in the 3-way switches are lit. BUT, when I remove both of the bulbs from the sockets, the backlights go out... Why is this?)

Now, Inside the switch boxes, I have the traveler and common wires, plus a spare, tucked back, unused wire in each box. The switches are wired correctly, and worked flawlessly when I had a 2-wire receptacle at the beginning of the circuit.

Now, it seems to me that the only other place that the problem can be coming from is the wiring for the light fixtures. When I removed both fixtures, the neutral wire from each fixture was connected to (what looks like from the bulge of electrical tape) a soldered splice of two wires. The hot wires from each light fixture is connected to a single wire coming out of each box.

I've heard that if the fixtures are wired using another circuit's neutral wire, this can cause the GFCI to trip. How could I determine if this is true?

Any help or advice would absolutely be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Comments (6)