SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
railheadwitz

GFCI tripping

railheadwitz
16 years ago

Last year I started having problems with a GFCI breaker.

I've got a backyard pond with a two receptacle outlet by the pond, each receptacle is switched individually. The length of each circuit is approximately 100'. The GFCI is in the main house panel and all wiring done by a licensed electrician. The GFCI breaker is a Square D 20 amp #'QO120GFIC'.

I've been running a pond pump,120v, 380w, and a very small pond 'spitter' pump for a couple years without any problems until the end of last year, when the GFCI would start 'tripping' on me.

I thought it might be the 'spitter' pump and replaced it, but the breaker continued to trip.

Everything was in limbo through the winter, but when I hooked the pond pump up the end of March this year everything seemed to work fine (no trips).

Around the middle of May I hooked up the 'spitter' pump and the tripping started again.

I bought one of those GFI circuit testers at Menards and everything tests normal: 'Open Ground/Neutral/Hot, Hot/Grd reversed, and Hot/Neutral reversed.

Here's what's got me stumped.

When I disconnect the plug for the 'spitter' pump, and the switch is still on for that circuit, the breaker will trip. With the switch off, it doesn't trip.

I unplugged the pond pump and plugged it into the other receptacle of the same outlet and that works fine until the other switch is turned on, at which point it will trip sometime during the day.

To sum it all up, when only the pond pump is plugged in to either receptacle of the pond outlet everything is fine,______ until the other switch is flipped on.

Why would turning on a circuit with no load cause a circuit to 'trip'?

I hope I explained this so it makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any input or solutions.

Witz

Comments (17)